East End Gangsters

There are a fair few lads on this site from in and around London and I am sure some of you or your parents grew up in around these fellas .....

My question is this were the likes of Lenny McLean Roy shaw etc real bad boys or have books telly and the media in general hyped them up and made them out to be villains when infact they were just hard blokes that you respected and crossed at your peril ......

We all know about the Krays and the richardsons etc but I would be interested to hear about the less infamous people .........

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Theres nothing glamorous at all about villany, the perception of "glamour" comes from films and tv. The reality is plenty of time looking over your shoulder, plenty of time behind the door with a loa

What Gnasher says about the krays rings right, they where pure gangsters , lived and breathed the whole scene, born out of the frustration of abject poverty, they really set the bench mark for the who

If we want to talk real villainy that knocks all else into a cocked hat then have a look at the EU, just cleared out £10 billion from Cypriot banks in full view of the whole world and got away with it

I never really understood why gangsters such as krays, Richardsons, Mafia members etc etc are so glorified. The krays pimped boys to MP's! that makes them no better than Jimmy Savile in my book.

I read Lenny Mcleans book which I enjoyed he didnt come across to me as a gangster just a respected fighter, from what little Ive read and watched on tv about Roy Shaw he comes across as insane.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone from "our world" could comment. They didn't mix with "civilians". Everyone seems to know someone who knew someone who knew the Krays, etc.

Closest I've ever got to anyone ike that is John McVicar who used to drink in our local and he seemed perfecty normal.

Roy Shaw was insane hence spending a long time in Broadmoor.

Maybe re read that book mate,he admits to paying lads to smash up pubs so he can "protect them" ,hard men who'd shite down my neck i'm sure but respect is a honour earned and not demanded due to fear imo.

• Like 3

The only contact I had with Lenny McLean was when I was young and going to a few clubs. He had a reputation as a bit of a liberty taker with hitting young uns In Saying that though he didn't care who you were big small young or old If you wanted it , he would accommodate If you were told to drink up you drunk up quick otherwise you were on your arse! In the end if we knew he was on the door we went somewhere else . There's was always a bad atmosphere in a place when he was there.

• Like 1

Maybe re read that book mate,he admits to paying lads to smash up pubs so he can "protect them" ,hard men who'd shite down my neck i'm sure but respect is a honour earned and not demanded due to fear imo.

It is a long time since Ive read the book your probably right :thumbs:

The only contact I had with Lenny McLean was when I was young and going to a few clubs. He had a reputation as a bit of a liberty taker with hitting young uns In Saying that though he didn't care who you were big small young or old If you wanted it , he would accommodate If you were told to drink up you drunk up quick otherwise you were on your arse! In the end if we knew he was on the door we went somewhere else . There's was always a bad atmosphere in a place when he was there.

If he's was playing that game in this day and age i'd have a bet some teenage gang banger would put a cap in his arse

• Like 1

theres a series of books called hard b*******s written by kate kray, there about the only books iv read from start to finish (other than books about field sports) she goes round interviewing people from the under world some gangsters and others just hard c**ts like Glenn ross worth a read if you haven't already

Wilf I was in no way trying portray these types as glamorous or what they did as cool or whatever ... I just wondered if anybody on here or their parents had mixed with these guys and were are the tv programmes and books true to life or as most things hyper sensationalised and actually they were down to earth normal blokes ............

Wilf I was in no way trying portray these types as glamorous or what they did as cool or whatever ... I just wondered if anybody on here or their parents had mixed with these guys and were are the tv programmes and books true to life or as most things hyper sensationalised and actually they were down to earth normal blokes ............

Like anything mate, probably like yourself.......a good percentage of normal blokes who go to go to work, change hats and become abnormal because they are having to function in abnormal circumstances and a percentage of out and out shit c**ts

You seem like a decent normal bloke Socks, but when you went to "work" you had to become something else

Only difference being, when you came home, you didnt have to worry about the knock at the door or you or your familys personal safety :thumbs:

Edited by WILF