Opinions On The Power Of Air Rifles

I agree with some of what you're saying but no...not everyone with an air gun has to suffer....only the peolpe that have no valid reason for having 1. At the end of the day...if you have permissions...do pest control...shoot at a range or whatever then where's the problem with a license? If you have none of the above and have no reason to have an air rifle then why have 1 lying around or stuck in a cupboard? Even if a person only shoots once, twice a year and in a responsible manner then they should be entitled to a license but the sad fact is that they are lethal weapons in the wrong hands...that's all i'm saying mate!!! Its like the knife situation we have at the moment...you can use a knife in certain situations but you cannot have a knife in your possession for no reason!!! :thumbs:

its a sad fact I like most people with air guns use them at home and seldom that is a valid reason .In the rest of europe hunting with airguns is not a valid reason it is illegal.As for lethal weapons Mr MacasKill in America a country full of violence and guns there are more murders each year with bats than guns .Children can use bats at present unsupervised James Bulger oh my mistake they used a brick and paint ,we could live in tents they dont have to be painted .

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit.

With the idiots that abound in this country I think the limit should be kept.   It's a bit of a pain to apply and pay for a license, but the truth is that if you have a valid reason for a rifle and

I agree with your thought there Cliff. There are too many IDIOTS around as it is. The idea of that lot getting their hands on high powered air rifles is frightening!   Simon

It has as to the best of my knowledge you cannot own an air rifle above 12FPE without a license. I maye be wrong but you can use someone elses on private land :thumbs:

Again thats your interpratation of the law.

I own the rifle, however it is held in the gunsafe at Beverley Police Station.

The licence is to Possess the gun. :thumbs:

I agree with some of what you're saying but no...not everyone with an air gun has to suffer....only the peolpe that have no valid reason for having 1. At the end of the day...if you have permissions...do pest control...shoot at a range or whatever then where's the problem with a license? If you have none of the above and have no reason to have an air rifle then why have 1 lying around or stuck in a cupboard? Even if a person only shoots once, twice a year and in a responsible manner then they should be entitled to a license but the sad fact is that they are lethal weapons in the wrong hands...that's all i'm saying mate!!! Its like the knife situation we have at the moment...you can use a knife in certain situations but you cannot have a knife in your possession for no reason!!! :thumbs:

its a sad fact I like most people with air guns use them at home and seldom that is a valid reason .In the rest of europe hunting with airguns is not a valid reason it is illegal.As for lethal weapons Mr MacasKill in America a country full of violence and guns there are more murders each year with bats than guns .Children can use bats at present unsupervised James Bulger oh my mistake they used a brick and paint ,we could live in tents they dont have to be painted .

The arguements and comparisons are endless mate and we could go on forever. We'll just agree to disagree on some things :thumbs:

So why would you own an overpowered air rifle without a license and have it kept at a police station? If it belongs to you then you must've bought it or had it given to you so surely a law has been broken somewhere??? Unless it was left to you in a will or something like that and it has to be kept there until you get a license??? Or did you you get caught with it??? :thumbs:

It has as to the best of my knowledge you cannot own an air rifle above 12FPE without a license. I maye be wrong but you can use someone elses on private land :thumbs:

So why would you own an overpowered air rifle without a license and have it kept at a police station? If it belongs to you then you must've bought it or had it given to you so surely a law has been broken somewhere??? Unless it was left to you in a will or something like that and it has to be kept there until you get a license??? Or did you you get caught with it??? :thumbs:

Well lets say, before you leave a shop with a gun, new or second hand, have it tested in front of you buy the gunsmith.

If your buying a second hand gun from someone, before you part with cash, take a chronograph and check it with light, medium and heavy pellets.

Remember that copper I told you about earlier? While I was being assessed at hospital, the police took everything from my home including the frame of a pistolbow with no prod and a bright blue airsoft pistol and tested the lot.One rifle was a touch over the 12 limit, so they took possession until I get an FAC.

I dont have the land to qualify for an FAC, so it stays in the safe until I meet the conditions to be granted the cert.

The arguements and comparisons are endless mate and we could go on forever. We'll just agree to disagree on some things :thumbs:

a license for knives would that not be a bit time consuming and they kill and wound hundreds of thousands more people that lethal air guns a license for airguns and knives incase .

I'm not saying license knives...just using it as an example as the laws seem to be changing all the time with the amount of knife crime :thumbs:

a license for knives would that not be a bit time consuming and they kill and wound hundreds of thousands more people that lethal air guns a license for airguns and knives incase .

I'm not saying license knives...just using it as an example as the laws seem to be changing all the time with the amount of knife crime :thumbs:

no comment very subtle

Well lets say, before you leave a shop with a gun, new or second hand, have it tested in front of you buy the gunsmith.

If your buying a second hand gun from someone, before you part with cash, take a chronograph and check it with light, medium and heavy pellets.

Remember that copper I told you about earlier? While I was being assessed at hospital, the police took everything from my home including the frame of a pistolbow with no prod and a bright blue airsoft pistol and tested the lot.One rifle was a touch over the 12 limit, so they took possession until I get an FAC.

I dont have the land to qualify for an FAC, so it stays in the safe until I meet the conditions to be granted the cert.

No worries mate. A mate bought a HW80 from a gunsmith. He brought it to me to chrono and check it over and it was doing 15 + FPE...couldn't believe it. We could've been locked up :censored:

Edited by AirgunGuy

Just very quickly......Mental health issues dont prevent you from having/obtaining FAC or SGC I have both.

Makes it complicated, frustrating and time consuming but not impossible.

I have had 2 spells of being, as someone else said earlier in the thread 'nuts' the last spell lasted for 18 months during which I was very unwell.

I had to have several 'crisis' meetings with psychiatrists, GP etc and they all agreed that i was 'neither suicidal or homicidal'

I also have a couple of serious criminal convictions (20 years ago).

I actually feel the limit for airguns is about right and if you want more then get off your arse and apply.

• Like 2

Whatever laws are in place, you can't fix stupid and the crims will just carry on regardless.

It's always the case and it always has been that pretty much whatever folks are into it's always the dick heads that screw things up for the rest.

• Like 2

Whatever laws are in place, you can't fix stupid and the crims will just carry on regardless.

It's always the case and it always has been that pretty much whatever folks are into it's always the dick heads that screw things up for the rest.

Agree 110% mate...it's always a mindless few that fcuk it up for the rest of us :thumbs:

• Like 1

To be quite honest my s200 does well enough at 11ft per pounds, I wouldn't want to see it higher and if it is needed the right laws are in place. The fact of this is with idiots around they shoot at anything, I myself being an avid hunter was devastated when my car got shot by an air rifle, luckily it survived and was able to survive. This being if the power was upped I'm more than certain it would have died. Everything is about shot placement, this coming from someone who probably misses more than he shoots haha but I aim for placement knowing if I do miss then no wounded quarry.

on the train lines near me there was a news report teens were throwing bricks and scaffold poles ect at the moving trains they were also seen to be using an AIRGUN .Out of the three items stated which is the most dangerous to the train driver the bbc reporters tone would suggest the air gun .If the bbc reporter had his way the idiots who shot at your car would of had only bricks and scaffold poles .
I think he meant his CAT got shot?

but i think the scaffold poles would do a hell of a lot more damage to a moving train..

a brick or a pellet would both be capable of smashing the drivers window and injuring or killing him in a head on 70+ mph situation, along with the scaffold pole.

but its the GUN that gets the most attention. people watch too many action thrillers then think people with airguns are like 'snipers' from such films and s**t themselves

Sorry mate I do apologise, stupid iPad and finger trouble, I did mean my cat, he got shot in the stomache and the pellet, it was removed luckily and he survived.

I also had a cat shot.....they then poisoned a load of cats around here with antifreeze.

We all know who did it, just couldnt prove it!

And not an idiot or a yob, just didnt like cat poo I guess!

Edited by cbw