Opinions On The Power Of Air Rifles

Reading it now and my understanding of it is that you can shoot within 50 ft providing no-one is interupted, endangered or injured and the pellet doesn't leave the boundary. So how exactly do you go about lying down in the middle of a public road firing an air rifle without breaking the law???

Correct :clapper:

Public Highways often cross private land. And if there is no one going to be interupted, endangered or injured, then your left with the old "If a tree falls in the forrest and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound?" scenario.

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit.

With the idiots that abound in this country I think the limit should be kept.   It's a bit of a pain to apply and pay for a license, but the truth is that if you have a valid reason for a rifle and

I agree with your thought there Cliff. There are too many IDIOTS around as it is. The idea of that lot getting their hands on high powered air rifles is frightening!   Simon

Reading it now and my understanding of it is that you can shoot within 50 ft providing no-one is interupted, endangered or injured and the pellet doesn't leave the boundary. So how exactly do you go about lying down in the middle of a public road firing an air rifle without breaking the law???

Public Highways often cross private land. And if there is no one going to be interupted, endangered or injured, then your left with the old "If a tree falls in the forrest and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound?" scenario.

Nonsense!!! Whether the public road goes through private land or not...its still a public road and you cannot fire an air rifle in a public place so well and truly against the law!!!

Anyway...i only gave my opinion with regards to the original post. I think they should be licensed and the power should be whatever the license holder wants or needs it to be :thumbs:

Edited by AirgunGuy

Nonsense!!! Whether the public road goes through private land or not...its still a public road and you cannot fire an air rifle in a public place so well and truly against the law!!!

Anyway...i only gave my opinion with regards to the original post. I think they should be licensed and the power should be whatever the license holder wants or needs it to be :thumbs:

why?

why?

Don't take it personally mate but are you for real??? We've just been debating for the last hour so you've obviously read my opinions and why i think air rifles should be licensed and un- restricted!!!

Your fighting a lost battle here AG :yes:

I have shot across Public Highways on private land. I have shot from public highways (that run across private land) and as mentioned earlier, with a Police officer at the side of me, he didn't arrest me, why? because he has a thorough knowladge of airgun law after I proved him incorrect previously. Instead of getting all high and mighty or heavy handed, he decided to go back and find out the truth.

When he sees me going about my lawful shooting now, he comes over to find out how I'm doing.

Oh incidently, he was one of the officers who took me to be assessed by the out of hours psychiatric team to determine if I should be sectioned after I suffered a relapse after a breakdown and major depression a few years ago.

so its a PUBLIC highway in PRIVATE land,,,.

whats the law on that one. ..??

its not a public PLACE, just a public highway, in a PRIVATE place...

For fcuk sake. If a public road its illegal...if its a private road and you have the permission then its legal...how fcukin hard is that to get across??? I'm sure sure you know the law as nmuch as i do...if not more!!!

For fcuk sake. If a public road its illegal...if its a private road and you have the permission then its legal...how fcukin hard is that to get across??? I'm sure sure you know the law as nmuch as i do...if not more!!!

i think im with tony on this one.

lol.

why?

Don't take it personally mate but are you for real??? We've just been debating for the last hour so you've obviously read my opinions and why i think air rifles should be licensed and un- restricted!!!

I have read you opinions but they make no sense .If my opinion is the moon is made of cheese and I cannot explain why I would look like an idiot ,but I could always say thats my opinion and you have never been there so I am right.

Your fighting a lost battle here AG :yes:

I have shot across Public Highways on private land. I have shot from public highways (that run across private land) and as mentioned earlier, with a Police officer at the side of me, he didn't arrest me, why? because he has a thorough knowladge of airgun law after I proved him incorrect previously. Instead of getting all high and mighty or heavy handed, he decided to go back and find out the truth.

When he sees me going about my lawful shooting now, he comes over to find out how I'm doing.

Oh incidently, he was one of the officers who took me to be assessed by the out of hours psychiatric team to determine if I should be sectioned after I suffered a relapse after a breakdown and major depression a few years ago.

I'm not fightin any battle...just debating!!! I kinda see what you're saying but how exactly can you shoot from a public highway that is going through private land??? If its a public highway then its a public highway with private land either side is it not??? If its a highway that the public use but is owned by the landowner that you have the permission from then yes you can shoot imo providing there is no-one around that could potentially be injured etc but to me a public highway is any road that is not privately owned...if you see what i mean!!!

Good fun though eh? :thumbs:

i think im with tony on this one.

lol.

why?

I have read you opinions but they make no sense .If my opinion is the moon is made of cheese and I cannot explain why I would look like an idiot ,but I could always say thats my opinion and you have never been there so I am right.

How do they make no sense??? I've stated that air rifles should be licensed in the same way as a .22lr, .243 and shouldn't be easy to get access to!!!

if im ever in this situation and the cops are there and try arrest me i wonder what would happen.

truth is half cops wont know the law and then there will also be arsy mad-for-power type cops who are just feeling like they can arrest me..

wonder what a judge would do.?

theres a golfcourse near to me with a public footpath running accross it, fenced off..

if i stood against the fence shooting away from it and someone called the police i couldnt get done. and if i stood 51 feet away shooting towards the bottom of the banking which the path runs along i also couldnt get done. (safe mud backstop so no ricochets) ..

not saying im going to , but i could! lol, that would piss the cops off haha.

why?

How do they make no sense??? I've stated that air rifles should be licensed in the same way as a .22lr, .243 and shouldn't be easy to get access to!!!

and I have asked WHY?

I'm not fightin any battle...just debating!!! I kinda see what you're saying but how exactly can you shoot from a public highway that is going through private land??? If its a public highway then its a public highway with private land either side is it not??? If its a highway that the public use but is owned by the landowner that you have the permission from then yes you can shoot imo providing there is no-one around that could potentially be injured etc but to me a public highway is any road that is not privately owned...if you see what i mean!!!

I do see what you mean :yes:

But, your statement that I've highlighted is a bit 'Blinkered' for want of a better word, it's your "Interpratation" and our laws are not 100% black and white, they are very open to interpretation. This unfortunately leads to mis-interpratation by a lot of people :yes:

I also like a good debate :thumbs: