Opinions On The Power Of Air Rifles

To be quite honest my s200 does well enough at 11ft per pounds, I wouldn't want to see it higher and if it is needed the right laws are in place. The fact of this is with idiots around they shoot at anything, I myself being an avid hunter was devastated when my car got shot by an air rifle, luckily it survived and was able to survive. This being if the power was upped I'm more than certain it would have died. Everything is about shot placement, this coming from someone who probably misses more than he shoots haha but I aim for placement knowing if I do miss then no wounded quarry.

on the train lines near me there was a news report teens were throwing bricks and scaffold poles ect at the moving trains they were also seen to be using an AIRGUN .Out of the three items stated which is the most dangerous to the train driver the bbc reporters tone would suggest the air gun .If the bbc reporter had his way the idiots who shot at your car would of had only bricks and scaffold poles .

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit.

With the idiots that abound in this country I think the limit should be kept.   It's a bit of a pain to apply and pay for a license, but the truth is that if you have a valid reason for a rifle and

I agree with your thought there Cliff. There are too many IDIOTS around as it is. The idea of that lot getting their hands on high powered air rifles is frightening!   Simon

To be quite honest my s200 does well enough at 11ft per pounds, I wouldn't want to see it higher and if it is needed the right laws are in place. The fact of this is with idiots around they shoot at anything, I myself being an avid hunter was devastated when my car got shot by an air rifle, luckily it survived and was able to survive. This being if the power was upped I'm more than certain it would have died. Everything is about shot placement, this coming from someone who probably misses more than he shoots haha but I aim for placement knowing if I do miss then no wounded quarry.

on the train lines near me there was a news report teens were throwing bricks and scaffold poles ect at the moving trains they were also seen to be using an AIRGUN .Out of the three items stated which is the most dangerous to the train driver the bbc reporters tone would suggest the air gun .If the bbc reporter had his way the idiots who shot at your car would of had only bricks and scaffold poles .

I think he meant his CAT got shot?

but i think the scaffold poles would do a hell of a lot more damage to a moving train..

a brick or a pellet would both be capable of smashing the drivers window and injuring or killing him in a head on 70+ mph situation, along with the scaffold pole.

but its the GUN that gets the most attention. people watch too many action thrillers then think people with airguns are like 'snipers' from such films and s**t themselves

Here's my 2 bobs worth. An air rifle should not have a legal limit imho BUT i think that they should be in the same class in terms of license as FAC air and bullet rifles, .22lr, .243 etc...after all...how often do you hear of someone getting shot or injured with such a rifle? The conditions for application would be the same...having permissions in writing...having the permission passed for high power air...clean bill of health...gun cabinets etc etc. If would certainly sort out the wheat from the chaf as if you dont have any permissions then why would you need an air rifle and i think it should be down to the individual as to how high he/she has the power on their rifle. Power would be down to the individuals needs and it would give the individual the oportunity to have the power set at the rifles optimum power output. License no doubt would be difficult to obtain but if you're genuine with genuine permission then it shouldn't be a problem for most of us ;-)

Here's my 2 bobs worth. An air rifle should not have a legal limit imho BUT i think that they should be in the same class in terms of license as FAC air and bullet rifles, .22lr, .243 etc...after all...how often do you hear of someone getting shot or injured with such a rifle? The conditions for application would be the same...having permissions in writing...having the permission passed for high power air...clean bill of health...gun cabinets etc etc. If would certainly sort out the wheat from the chaf as if you dont have any permissions then why would you need an air rifle and i think it should be down to the individual as to how high he/she has the power on their rifle. Power would be down to the individuals needs and it would give the individual the oportunity to have the power set at the rifles optimum power output. License no doubt would be difficult to obtain but if you're genuine with genuine permission then it shouldn't be a problem for most of us ;-)

What if you like shooting tin cans in your garden?Why should people without a clean bill of health not have air guns ?At present people with out a clean bill of health have access to air guns at present and have had for hundreds of years with no problems.Also people with a clean bill of health being the vast majority of users do cause problems from time to time how do we stop this problem?

I'll re-phrase that as i should've when i typed it. I was referring to mental health. If there's any question of mental health problems then its unlikely that you'gonna get a license. And as for shooting tin cans in the garden...should it be allowed at all??? For a start...if you have a small garden then its illegal as you have to be more than 50 ft from the centre of a public highway/walkway and the pellet cannot leave the boundary of your property...even from a riqochet. If you do have the space to shoot in your garden then what if you glance the side of the tin can and it riqochets out the property and hits a passer by in the face or takes a kids eye out? I wouldn't want that on my conscience never mind the damage to the person!!! Shooting tin cans in a garden should not be allowed in urban areas unless you have more than adequate space imho!!!

Edited by AirgunGuy

I'll re-phrase that as i should've when i typed it. I was referring to mental health. If there's any question of mental health problems then its unlikely that you'gonna get a license. And as for shooting tin cans in the garden...should it be allowed at all??? For a start...if you have a small garden then its illegal as you have to be more than 50 ft from the centre of a public highway/walkway and the pellet cannot leave the boundary of your property...even from a riqochet. If you do have the space to shoot in your garden then what if you glance the side of the tin can and it riqochets out the property and hits a passer by in the face or takes a kids eye out? I wouldn't want that on my conscience never mind the damage to the person!!! Shooting tin cans in a garden should not be allowed in urban areas unless you have more than adequate space imho!!!

I would suggest that you go back and re-read and understand the statement regarding the "50ft " rule :yes:

You can actually sit/stand/lay on the very centre of the public highway and shoot without ANY agro from the Law :yes:

I often shoot only a few feet from the very busy A64 arterial route into and out of Hull. I do this perfectly legally :yes: and I have done so with the Police standing at my side. There is a very specific condition attatched to the 50ft rule.

Tony

So you're saying that its perfectly legal to shoot from within the 50 feet stated?

I am indeed, as long as the conditions of that rule are met :yes:

The conditions start with "As long as......."

Anyone else want to contribute? We've coverd this before numerous times ;)

• Like 1

So you're saying that its perfectly legal to shoot from within the 50 feet stated?

I am indeed, as long as the conditions of that rule are met :yes:

The conditions start with "As long as......."

Anyone else want to contribute? We've coverd this before numerous times ;)

this is going to be fun

Reading it now and my understanding of it is that you can shoot within 50 ft providing no-one is interupted, endangered or injured and the pellet doesn't leave the boundary. So how exactly do you go about lying down in the middle of a public road firing an air rifle without breaking the law???

people with mental health have access to air guns with no problems

Mostly sub 12FPE where there are few restrictions!

and why should restriction be introduced .

Because there are idiots with air rifles for no reason and they shoot and kill kids playing!!! Does that answer your question?

people with mental health have access to air guns with no problems

Mostly sub 12FPE where there are few restrictions!

and why should restriction be introduced .

Because there are idiots with air rifles for no reason and they shoot and kill kids playing!!! Does that answer your question?

you know you have won an argument when some one has the need to bring emotions into the argument to sway the situation .Politicians use this all the time are you really MacAskill

• Like 1