Opinions On The Power Of Air Rifles

I think the problem is we always want a little more, and if the limit was say 15, then we would be discussing why not 20? For me 12 is fine for many situations, but when I needed more I got a 22 rimfire, and this stretched my limits, but then the rabbits were a little too far away again, and I got an HMR.

If you have permission and good reason then getting a FAC is easy enough, as long as there is no legal reason why you should not. I certainly believe it will be easier for most folks to get an FAC than it will be to increase or do away with air rifle limits, particularly in Scotland, where air guns will be more restricted

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit.

With the idiots that abound in this country I think the limit should be kept.   It's a bit of a pain to apply and pay for a license, but the truth is that if you have a valid reason for a rifle and

I agree with your thought there Cliff. There are too many IDIOTS around as it is. The idea of that lot getting their hands on high powered air rifles is frightening!   Simon

Power wise for an air rifle would be ideal at 15 to 20.

In the scale of things a .22 short cartridge revolver/rifle (rim fire type) puts out roughly 60ft/lbs - 80 to 120 for the .22 long that you used to be able to use at the fair and Blackpool pleasure beach (the good old .22 pump action that held five to 7 shots). Ah..... those were the days, I spent all my 2weeks holiday allowance on that one range in Blackpool.

A shotgun has an effective range not much (if any) more than a 12ft/lbs rifle. The differance is they have multiple projectiles that spread out (why I laughingly and in good humor say shotties are for those who can't shoot straight).

When we move into centre fire, we are talking many hundreds or even thousands of ft/lbs.

So even at 20 we would still be less than a quater of the power that used to be used by the poultry farmer to deal with problematic Vulpine pests.

Tony

• Like 1

And on top of all that's been said so far, any muppet can buy a bow or crossbow that will easilly make well over 100ft-lbs over the counter, no questions asked. They use those to hunt elks and bears in other part of the world, FFS.

12 is enough for any hunting situation that demands the use of an airgun in the UK, IMO. If folks need more killing power or range then get an FAC. The sky's the limit then.

I'm not saying at all that there's no need for FAC air though. I had a permission years ago that had footpaths bounding some of it's woods and the FAO wouldn't pass it for rimfire but would for air. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

I don't think u would notice much power difference to 15.. except it will fly a little flatter...so its just a matter of learning the arc. Lol like what's been said, if you want power, apply for fac. If you need fac for pests, have permission an have been out of trouble an a reformed character you will be in for a chance of a fac.

Thinking of all the good sense here in the replies, I still wouldn't have my HW77 upped in power. It's as sweet as a nut and as accurate as a rifle can be. It hits a rabbit's head dead on the dot at 50 metres or 50 feet and I love it to death. I would do anything to to upset that level of accuracy with a lot more recoil to control and manage.

:laugh::laugh: :laugh:

Hi
I shoot sub 12ft/lb and find power levels are about right, whatever gains achieved by slight increase in power can be achieved by better use of field craft skills, these often prove in my opinion more rewarding.

Yes, I have taught you well ,iam glad you took note :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

what i meant by asking the question about air gun power is trying to eliminate the hassle of fac cert and that the power would be nice if it was raised more than it is to a reasonable power rather than fac cert being needed i understand that a lot can get fac and have no need for the use of air rifles at the fac 22 rimy distance but for those who cant get rimmy certs the power increase would be a great advantage i think, i was interested to see what others thought, interesting comments and a mixed bag of thoughts. it would be nice to get the FAC cert but a lot of us cant get this where a lot of us have air rifles we are slightly govened by the power they produce may be that was the wrong thing to say but thats how i feel i really feel we are some what living in the past about the legal power of our air guns. people say they would get into the wrong hands but lets face it a kitchen knife we buy from morrisons can get in the wrong hands too.

lets see a nice increase in the AirGun power bands and do away with the old 12ft lbs.

Funny thing is, in Belgium where there is no power limit, they have very few idiots using airguns to cause a damn nuisance. they don't get the kids shooting cats/swans etc - because they still have an edcation system that teaches morals and respect. Their kids are just as prone to havinng fun - but they do it more responsibly and with more creativity. Our idiots are just brain dead because of the Them & Us mentality created at school - and the same mentality for any authority. The Belgians riot sometimes too, but they do it cohesively and they need a lot of working up before they do.

Morals and respect are not the responsibility of the schools but of the parents. My parents taught the right way to behave not the schools, trouble is to day there is to many Broken homes and the parent's just don't give a Shit , this is going from one generation to generation

I grew up on a shithole estate both my parents gave a shit it was school and peers that taught me to be a little shit wasn't until got kick out to my dads in middle of nowhere I started to think for myself is all about what others think nowadays and its never the right people they want to impress

if your shooting for sport then im of the opinion that 12 ft lb is plenty and i do not need more power i just use what i have to get in closer.. i try get in to 25 yds

. air rifle and shot guns are not the same thing so i dont see how a man/woman with a sgc could have a larger powered air rilfe and if you needed more power you could just go fac and treat your self to a rimmy but i dont get excited at the thought of that (if i was a pesti then fac it would be).i also have public foot paths on some off my permision so i dont believe just haveing permision would justify more power as it could be my first gun given to me and then me let out to play..

i was once told that 4 ft lb or energy is enough to kill a rabbit, i dont know if this is correct but if so to get close enough i would have to ferret them and shoot the buggers in the purse net.

i think we are maybe a little lucky to still have air rifles and should possibly be greatfull for what we have as one day it will get worse, we wont get more power but instead we will all end up having to register our guns and tell the police were there kept..

Funny thing is, in Belgium where there is no power limit, they have very few idiots using airguns to cause a damn nuisance. they don't get the kids shooting cats/swans etc - because they still have an edcation system that teaches morals and respect. Their kids are just as prone to havinng fun - but they do it more responsibly and with more creativity. Our idiots are just brain dead because of the Them & Us mentality created at school - and the same mentality for any authority. The Belgians riot sometimes too, but they do it cohesively and they need a lot of working up before they do.

Morals and respect are not the responsibility of the schools but of the parents. My parents taught the right way to behave not the schools, trouble is to day there is to many Broken homes and the parent's just don't give a Shit , this is going from one generation to generation

I fully agree parental responsibility is paramount in society; but in recent years parents or guardians along with the schools are very restricted in what punishment they may mete out. This has encouraged youngsters to push their luck to get away with that bit extra.

I work part time as a relief caretaker at my local High School. Pupil’s dress code is none existent and they address teachers including the head master by their first names. Fortunately in a minority, a certain few regular offenders are allowed to swear without question, vent their anger by destroying school property; I have even seen couples sexually arousing each other in the school corridors. I am not allowed to challenge them myself but the staff that occasionally do are sometimes told to **** off. One member of staff has even been suspended through reprimanding one offending pupil. Some children are unruly because they know they can get away without being punished.

Tragically, some of today’s society we are producing couldn’t be trusted with a pea shooter let alone an air rifle. Whatever legal power for none FAC air rifles is adopted, the system is open for abuse by some of these uneducated and unruly yobs.

What we really need is a society that allows parents/guardians and an education system that teaches respect and values; this in turn would make responsible citizens that could be trusted amongst other things not to abuse relaxed air rifle legislation.

Just my opinion but happier for getting it off my chest!

Regards, Steve

• Like 2

I fully agree parental responsibility is paramount in society; but in recent years parents or guardians along with the schools are very restricted in what punishment they may mete out. This has encouraged youngsters to push their luck to get away with that bit extra.

I work part time as a relief caretaker at my local High School. Pupil’s dress code is none existent and they address teachers including the head master by their first names. Fortunately in a minority, a certain few regular offenders are allowed to swear without question, vent their anger by destroying school property; I have even seen couples sexually arousing each other in the school corridors. I am not allowed to challenge them myself but the staff that occasionally do are sometimes told to **** off. One member of staff has even been suspended through reprimanding one offending pupil. Some children are unruly because they know they can get away without being punished.

Tragically, some of today’s society we are producing couldn’t be trusted with a pea shooter let alone an air rifle. Whatever legal power for none FAC air rifles is adopted, the system is open for abuse by some of these uneducated and unruly yobs.

What we really need is a society that allows parents/guardians and an education system that teaches respect and values; this in turn would make responsible citizens that could be trusted amongst other things not to abuse relaxed air rifle legislation.

Just my opinion but happier for getting it off my chest!

Regards, Steve

I dont think there is a big problem to day with kids shooting guns in the uk .there is probably as many idiots in the rest of europe as the uk .We have a better net work here in the uk for tracking and reporting any gun crime .If some one farts out the word air gun in public the bbc ect is there to report ,in attempt to stop the great unwashed from owning or having an interest in guns .This propaganda must work because people who own guns believe this ..... .

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit. Not all spring rifles will suit a higher power setting. And there should be written proof of access to a suitable permission, membership of a club or shooting ground as a requirement to purchase an aie rifle at this level at least.. As it is, a legal 11.5 is sweet for any air air rifle and I don't want to see a drop from the 12ft/lb limit. I do not agree that 10ft/lbs is enough for longer range effective killing power.

My reason is the lower the power the more likely the risk of inflicting serious injury rather than a clean, penetrative shot. Simply due to the fact that not every shooter has the skills to effect headshots at 40+ metres. The rifle will be capable but the fall-off shooters talents to use such lower power effectively, will be the more accute!

It won't happen though.

This country is already a modern day version of Stalin's Russia as it is.

I concur.

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit. Not all spring rifles will suit a higher power setting. And there should be written proof of access to a suitable permission, membership of a club or shooting ground as a requirement to purchase an aie rifle at this level at least.. As it is, a legal 11.5 is sweet for any air air rifle and I don't want to see a drop from the 12ft/lb limit. I do not agree that 10ft/lbs is enough for longer range effective killing power.

My reason is the lower the power the more likely the risk of inflicting serious injury rather than a clean, penetrative shot. Simply due to the fact that not every shooter has the skills to effect headshots at 40+ metres. The rifle will be capable but the fall-off shooters talents to use such lower power effectively, will be the more accute!

It won't happen though.

This country is already a modern day version of Stalin's Russia as it is.

I concur.

20ftlbs would be a dream here in uk but the chance of a death by an accidental shooting would increase, when this happened , then there would be a problem .There will be an accidental shooting death at some time in the future ,it is odds on ,and its going to be bad enough then .plenty of distorted reporting in the news bad this ban that but in comparison the daily deaths from cars that can exceed 70 mph and some by exceeding 70 mph is trivial compared to GUN CRIME.

To be quite honest my s200 does well enough at 11ft per pounds, I wouldn't want to see it higher and if it is needed the right laws are in place. The fact of this is with idiots around they shoot at anything, I myself being an avid hunter was devastated when my car got shot by an air rifle, luckily it survived and was able to survive. This being if the power was upped I'm more than certain it would have died. Everything is about shot placement, this coming from someone who probably misses more than he shoots haha but I aim for placement knowing if I do miss then no wounded quarry.