Opinions On The Power Of Air Rifles

Does any one have any opinions on the power of air rifles that we are legally aloud to own with out a cert for them

Or are we living in the dark ages with our 12ft llbs versions :hmm:

It would be nice i think to see the legal limit raised with out being to stupid about it but THEN THE QUESTION WOULD BE what would we call ( not a stupid level )

May be the level could be raised for owners who have a shot gun certs

with out the need for a fire arms cert AND that would be enough.

Or should the need for fire arms certs be abolished for an Air rifle over 12ft llbs

AND just the permission of shooting on land would be enough with out the rig moral of a firearms cert

I dont know really any one any thoughts

i personaly would love to see the legal limit raised but then you will get the people say why have a ;legal limit at all

then

Or may be it should be the calibre they use that determines the ft llbs we can have with out certs such as a .25 should only go to 25ft llbs

.177 15ft llbs .22 20ft llbs

Then the question would come you can kill rabbits with 3ft llbs or what ever it may be so why have more power than 12ft llbs

the question id say is it would be nice to have the extra power with out the hassle of certs

THE DARK AGES HAS GONE I THINK

ANY OPINIONS ON THIS GUYS AND GIRLS

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit.

With the idiots that abound in this country I think the limit should be kept.   It's a bit of a pain to apply and pay for a license, but the truth is that if you have a valid reason for a rifle and

I agree with your thought there Cliff. There are too many IDIOTS around as it is. The idea of that lot getting their hands on high powered air rifles is frightening!   Simon

worlds gone mad about saftey... so if there going to do anything to the legal limit i think they will lower it.

12ft lbs is about right i think. although if your rifle beds in and creeps up, say 13/14/15 ftlbs its a hassle to lower it to 12 again (cutting springs etc) then you get foooked for having a 'firearm' JUST over the limit (not enough to make a noticable difference anyway)

for me personally shooting out to 40-50 yds max, most of the time, i dont need much more than 11 ftlbs at the muzzle.

• Like 2

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit. Not all spring rifles will suit a higher power setting. And there should be written proof of access to a suitable permission, membership of a club or shooting ground as a requirement to purchase an aie rifle at this level at least.. As it is, a legal 11.5 is sweet for any air air rifle and I don't want to see a drop from the 12ft/lb limit. I do not agree that 10ft/lbs is enough for longer range effective killing power.

My reason is the lower the power the more likely the risk of inflicting serious injury rather than a clean, penetrative shot. Simply due to the fact that not every shooter has the skills to effect headshots at 40+ metres. The rifle will be capable but the fall-off shooters talents to use such lower power effectively, will be the more accute!

It won't happen though.

This country is already a modern day version of Stalin's Russia as it is.

• Like 5

With the idiots that abound in this country I think the limit should be kept.

It's a bit of a pain to apply and pay for a license, but the truth is that if you have a valid reason for a rifle and haven't done anything wrong (or been declared nuts), you can get one.

• Like 4

it can be a bit of a ball ache keeping a rifle under 12, but if they put it up to 13,14 15 youd still have the same issue. at just under 12ft lb it has enough power to drop any animal cleanly that should be shot with air power. its all down to shot placement and more power shouldnt be the option to folk who cant shoot them properly imo.

Thats not even accounting for all the knob heads who can mess about with them, 12 ft lb can kill so opening up unregulated fac level rifles to all is definatly not a good idea imo.

Edited by treecreeper
  • Like 1

i think everything has a place, for me and the land i have permission of 12ft lb is ideal, other places shotguns come into place.

as already said i would worry with some of the stories you read if a halfwit got hold of a high power rifle, there not even safe with a water pistol.

im happy with the law as it is.... end of the day if you have the need for fac you will get one,atleast the weapon of choice is licensed and more chance of being in a responsible shooters hand.... just my thoughts, all the best steve

• Like 2

I agree with your thought there Cliff. There are too many IDIOTS around as it is. The idea of that lot getting their hands on high powered air rifles is frightening!

Simon

Hi

I agree about the idiots but the idiots who own air guns up the power any way, they don't give a f$$k about the law .

• Like 2

I agree with your thought there Cliff. There are too many IDIOTS around as it is. The idea of that lot getting their hands on high powered air rifles is frightening!

Simon

Hi

I agree about the idiots but the idiots who own air guns up the power any way, they don't give a f$$k about the law .

possibly, but if they are caught with it atm they would be in the shit. idiots will always be idiots no law will change that.

• Like 1

Funny thing is, in Belgium where there is no power limit, they have very few idiots using airguns to cause a damn nuisance. they don't get the kids shooting cats/swans etc - because they still have an edcation system that teaches morals and respect. Their kids are just as prone to havinng fun - but they do it more responsibly and with more creativity. Our idiots are just brain dead because of the Them & Us mentality created at school - and the same mentality for any authority. The Belgians riot sometimes too, but they do it cohesively and they need a lot of working up before they do.

• Like 2

Funny thing is, in Belgium where there is no power limit, they have very few idiots using airguns to cause a damn nuisance. they don't get the kids shooting cats/swans etc - because they still have an edcation system that teaches morals and respect. Their kids are just as prone to havinng fun - but they do it more responsibly and with more creativity. Our idiots are just brain dead because of the Them & Us mentality created at school - and the same mentality for any authority. The Belgians riot sometimes too, but they do it cohesively and they need a lot of working up before they do.

Morals and respect are not the responsibility of the schools but of the parents. My parents taught the right way to behave not the schools, trouble is to day there is to many Broken homes and the parent's just don't give a Shit , this is going from one generation to generation

Acuspell that statement is precisely the way of things today. The standards of education and incompetent Government policy-making in education has caused this situation. It has now produced a generation of parents who haven't a bloody clue as to their moral duties to their children's guidances and upbringing. There is no guiding moral compass at home nor at school. I've seen people that shouldn't be allowed to have pets let alone kids! It's a national tragedy as much a disgrace. it seems a certain number of young people have an utterly nihilistic view that destroying something and depriving others of its enjoyment is the coolest thing to do. This nation suffers a level of incompetence at every turn, from the policies of Government, to teaching, even to parenting that is not prevalent on the continent. Even the morons rioting here described it as "Free stuff day!" No idea why there was a riot in the first place.

I wouldn't let this sector of the community have access to a bloody water pistol let alone air rifles.

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

interesting comments guys seems alot of us are worried the idiots get hold of high powered guns and use them irresponsibly if the legal limit was lifted

i would say once an idiot always an idiot schools i dont think are to blame for them but the home life. the schools are now governed by what they can do with the idiots

but the issue of removing the legal limit or raising it wouldnt really i dont think make any difference to the idiots as they would shoot you close by just as much as long range and they are more likely to stay in the house and shoot from a window rather than from a long way but thats doesnt mean to say that wouldnt happen does it.

but for the responsible shooters like all of us on here i would love to see the limit raised just to give us that little bit more not so much range but hitting and stopping power ive been shooting for years and the head shot is always the best ive heard of chest shots but head for me all the time

i do think the extra power from 12ft llbs to say 20 ft llbs would be so much better for the airgun hunter i dont like to shoot in the wind as i know many people do as for me the 12ft llbs just doesnt seem to be the right amount of power to shoot in the wind and as for distance id rather shoot a well placed head shot with a rifle set to 20ft llbs and be sure my pellet will strike home and dispatch a clean kill even at 40 yards rather than run the risk of any injury

the question i will now get is i shouldnt be shooting at that range if im not capable and i agree no body should the thing is if the power was raised then it would be much more effective and the capabilities easier to have a seriously effective shot than one that might just cause injury and a decent limit would make sure of that along with the hunters skills

thats just my opinion

If your that bothered about power, and need it. Get a fac form, fill it in, post it off. That way they can see that you've taken the time to apply and know your not having high power because u want. It's because it would make life easier for u, not sumin to brag or threaten with. Iv got a good couple of things on record, but iv still applied. Not heard anything yet though....lol

14 ftlbs max would be good I think.an average 177 pellet 850 ft sec .this would be perfect ,a shot gun would only have an advantage on moving small game .a 14 ftlbs air rifle would be better than a shot gun ,no noise , cheaper to use ,able to stalk rabbits and shoot at grater distances.This advantages may stop some people getting a shot gun less shot guns less shot gun crime,this would suit the do gooders ,but more air guns more air gun crime.12 is ok 14 would be great I feel.