Wildfowling And Rough Shooting Dog

I would say that the OP has made a decent decision although i would also say that a springer would have been just as good a choice. Not worse, not better but definately as good.

If you buy a lab for rough shooting then in pretty short order you will end up buying a spaniel because the lab will never hunt like a decent spaniel.

People claim to have labs that hunt like spaniels but i have never seen it. I have seen labs hunt well but nothing like spaniels for getting into cover. In time if you buy a lab you will see it isnt made for rough shooting, they are made for retrieving. When you go out with someone that has a decent spaniel all will become clear.

The waterwork that you are talking about falls well within a spaniels ability.

I have a lab and he does hunt well and when he is onto something picking up he smashes cover to pieces but i wouldnt take him on his own rough shooting in thick briar patches because he wont get in there like a spaniel and i would get pissed off!

I know some people dont have the luxury of more than one dog but i would definately go spaniel for the all rounders. But i am biased, i find labs boring.

And i would go good spaniel as well, not watered down stuff. With spaniels if they arent getting on and hunting its very difficult to bring then on! Just becuase they have plenty of field trial breeding doesnt mean they are wild, it means that they are wild and untrainable. It means that they hunt hard. Get a nice big one and you are away

Dan

ps. as they said before, if you are seriously fowling on the shore, geese etc then a lab is the one for you every time and put up with the fact that you lose a bit of hunt

Edited by Dan Newcombe

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well bred and well trained springer??? What are they? Buy a real dog. One that wont shiver to death after the first water retrieve you give it in the month of October. One that isnt as mad as a hatter

You may be on to something gouldy as why worry on what is the best all rounder when you can have one of each as i am a big fan of the lab and they are excellent for wildfowling and the German wirehair

There is obviously no right answer to this argument as we all have our favourites ive seen a lot of good springers and labs and very few really good pointers but before im shot down about that stateme