Wildfowling And Rough Shooting Dog

Hi i recently posted on what the best rough shooting dog is an the majority was a "good springer" but they are not the best for wildfowling. I also know that the lab is a favorite of the wildfowler but aren't the best for rough shooting. So my question to you is what is the best mix between wildfowler and rough shooter because i enjoy bough and unsure what dog to get.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well bred and well trained springer??? What are they? Buy a real dog. One that wont shiver to death after the first water retrieve you give it in the month of October. One that isnt as mad as a hatter

You may be on to something gouldy as why worry on what is the best all rounder when you can have one of each as i am a big fan of the lab and they are excellent for wildfowling and the German wirehair

There is obviously no right answer to this argument as we all have our favourites ive seen a lot of good springers and labs and very few really good pointers but before im shot down about that stateme

Well bred and well trained springer??? What are they? Buy a real dog. One that wont shiver to death after the first water retrieve you give it in the month of October. One that isnt as mad as a hatter in a hedge running on 50 yards infront of you when it gets wind of a woodcock. As far as i'm concerned any rough shooting dog that you ever have to blow a whistle at isn't worth the cartridge it would take to shoot it! Birds have ears too! Buy a Lab and be done with it!!!

Edited by remi700
  • Like 3

german pointers are both an all round dog HPR,, but you'll shoot birds over a lab and also there great at retrieving from loughs and that,,, would rather a lab any day than a springer but that's my opinion.. ATB mate in whatever you decide with.... :thumbs:

Yeah i'm a big fan off the lab far more than the springer but i have heard that they aren't any good at flushing game. I was considering a cocker spaniel as they seem like a good all rounder. But knowing me i will go for another lab in my opinion ya just can't beat them.

Edited by EnglishBulldog

Yeah i'm a big fan off the lab far more than the springer but i have heard that they aren't any good at flushing game. I was considering a German Pointer as they seem like a good all rounder. But knowing me i will go for another lab in my opinion ya just can't beat them.

if you've the right lab it'll wreck all the cover in ireland... i think personally a pointer is easier trained than any other dog to shoot with,,, and if you'd the room for 2 dogs a pointer for birds is ideal and a lab for wildfowl mate you can't go wrong with them 2 keep lab at your heel when training and your pointer a rangey dog for hunting :thumbs:

Yeah i'm a big fan off the lab far more than the springer but i have heard that they aren't any good at flushing game. I was considering a German Pointer as they seem like a good all rounder. But knowing me i will go for another lab in my opinion ya just can't beat them.

if you've the right lab it'll wreck all the cover in ireland... i think personally a pointer is easier trained than any other dog to shoot with,,, and if you'd the room for 2 dogs a pointer for birds is ideal and a lab for wildfowl mate you can't go wrong with them 2 keep lab at your heel when training and your pointer a rangey dog for hunting :thumbs:

You may be on to something gouldy as why worry on what is the best all rounder when you can have one of each as i am a big fan of the lab and they are excellent for wildfowling and the German wirehair pointer or nice springer which is good for flushing ground game when rough shooting so i may have on of each.

Edited by EnglishBulldog
  • Like 1

You may be on to something gouldy as why worry on what is the best all rounder when you can have one of each as i am a big fan of the lab and they are excellent for wildfowling and the German wirehair pointer or maybe a Vizsla which is good for marking ground game when rough shooting so i may have on of each.

very true mate :thumbs: there's horses for coarse's and coarse's for horses :thumbs::laugh::laugh:

Well bred and well trained springer??? What are they? Buy a real dog. One that wont shiver to death after the first water retrieve you give it in the month of October. One that isnt as mad as a hatter in a hedge running on 50 yards infront of you when it gets wind of a woodcock. As far as i'm concerned any rough shooting dog that you ever have to blow a whistle at isn't worth the cartridge it would take to shoot it! Birds have ears too! Buy a Lab and be done with it!!!

If that's the case how can my springers go swimming in the north sea in the depths of winter then come and sit by me while i sit and drink me flask for 15/20 minutes and sit perfectly to heal, never had a shiver from either of them :hmm:

Get a springer - proper dogs :D

There is obviously no right answer to this argument as we all have our favourites ive seen a lot of good springers and labs and very few really good pointers but before im shot down about that statement its purely because there arent too many about and we are really only begginning to understand hprs and how to get the best out of them. I watch teams of pickers working with their dogs and the banter exists between the teams is part of the day. You know what you fancy and what your comfortable with so just go with your head give the dog as much experience as you can and you will get a good thinking dog.

As for me i run an 8 year old labradoodle who i just have to look at and he knows what i want he has been every where and done most things (Wildfowling isnt one of them loonys enjoy mud and near death experiences ;0)) but ive always loved hpr breeds since my first gsp 20 years ago so i have a young whv and we will see how he goes. Love your dogs and give them the best you can and you will get the best from them, goodluck

• Like 1

When i did a lot of wildfowling i found that when the weather was at its worst ,freezing cold , biting wind ,and rain,when shooting is at its best.After a water retrieve,my springer would start to shiver,and this is a big dog that was kenneled outside.Another factor is colour ,a white springer sticks out like a sore thumb on the marsh .However nowadays there are neoprene jackets available in camoflage.Had these been around years ago i would have tried them,but from what i here they are very good.

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 1

a springer will work on the marsh, ive seen plenty on there, but a lab will do it better; a lab can work cover but similarly a spaniel will do it better. obviously there'll be good labs that will be better than poor spaniel and vice versa, but if your looking at averages best to stick to whatever you fancy and then live with it,,,or as has been suggested...get one of each, i did :)