Why A First Cross?...rather Than Worker X Worker?

jamesmc.the years have gone by and many crosses i have tried i have brought a few lurcher to lurcher pups .the problem with lurcher to lurcher is that over time the progeny tend to get thinner coats lighter bone thinner pads and less stamina and less brains.as i have said before my father who was a young man in the 1920 era said to me if your line is getting weak you have to put the bitch back to collie lab gsd or something similar to put back whaht is being lost brains coat stamina etc..people on here talk nonsense when they say first cross litter wastage .if like me you used to like chaseing long ears then with a first cross you will get a lot of litter wastage because you are seeking speed.even in lurcher to lurcher most wont make hare dogs.but if you get a first cross like i had gsdxg thaht had speed stamina and brains coat etc then no lurcher to lurcher can match it.also lurcher to lurcher if they lack coat stamina brains take the lamp away and they are fecked.i can guarentee that any genuine cxg gsdxg labxg etc there will not be any litter wastage because one they wont blow up two they will all have brains three good pads four they wont rip like greyhoundy lurchers do. five they can handle lack of food and the cold better .six they will all be highly trainable for multitasking..a few will be very fast most will only be average speed.but if you get a fast one they canott be beaten because they have speed brains coat and stamina.if you are looking for a lurcher to lurcher the best crosses are cxg xdg.labxg xcg bullxgxcg gsdxcg etc .allways try to obtain lurchers with at least hailf greyhound or whippet and 2 quarters power brains coat stamina.collie lab gsd bull etc,even threequarter collie lab gsd bull quarter greyhound will suffice for mooching with .as i have said before if i want to go off roading i use a landrover.not a sports car .

Mate part of that is [BANNED TEXT] to point but not bout first x being better coursin dogs are lurcher to lurcher hav be com spesilised dog for a precific task no first x should even come close especially a gsd x grey, I like gsd x g but they bred for a job world apart from coursin dog

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hybrid vigour.

jamesmc.the years have gone by and many crosses i have tried i have brought a few lurcher to lurcher pups .the problem with lurcher to lurcher is that over time the progeny tend to get thinner coats l

first cross vs workerxworker. good question. any pup gets half it's genes from each parent. so with a first cross you can guarantee a dog with half its qualities, both physical and mental, from each p

paulsmithy 83.i had a gsd xg which was very good on ? i will be selecting two when my friend breeds and i will be makeing a video to prove my point that gsdxg if thrown right will kill daylight ?.you have to remember gsd are very low to the ground when running and have a very long stride.look up on you tube to see .combine the two breed corectly and watch out ?

I like the gsd x read wat I [BANNED TEXT] about them on the threads they good dogs but I bin round some exceptional day dog n no gsd x has cum close just wat I seen u mite of had one but I can't coment on that only say wat I seen. I run [BANNED TEXT] one every week gsd x 29tts 80 odd lb very fast agile dog plenty stamina but nothin compar to wat we run in day

first cross vs workerxworker. good question. any pup gets half it's genes from each parent. so with a first cross you can guarantee a dog with half its qualities, both physical and mental, from each parent. you know what you are working with, you know if this is what you wanted, the rest is up to you. as soon as you breed even one step away from a first cross you cannot guarantee the genetic make up of the animal, even say collie grey x collie grey can throw anything from near pure grey to near pure collie, and everything in between from perfect hunters to imperfect rubbish (imagine a collie with greyhound feet, skin and brains?)

now, a very few people have over the years bred from first crosses, and over many generations they have created a line of dogs which are pretty much true breeding, even then though you will get the occasional"sport" or throw-back. there are no cast iron guarantees.

if you breed worker x worker you have a good chance of getting racey fast dogs, especially if the dogs have large doses of sighthound in them, but fast doesnt make a worker, a proper lurcher needs so much more and personally i am happy to sacrifice some pace for the other qualities such as nose, brains, good feet, coat etc

• Like 2

first cross vs workerxworker. good question. any pup gets half it's genes from each parent. so with a first cross you can guarantee a dog with half its qualities, both physical and mental, from each parent. you know what you are working with, you know if this is what you wanted, the rest is up to you. as soon as you breed even one step away from a first cross you cannot guarantee the genetic make up of the animal, even say collie grey x collie grey can throw anything from near pure grey to near pure collie, and everything in between from perfect hunters to imperfect rubbish (imagine a collie with greyhound feet, skin and brains?)

now, a very few people have over the years bred from first crosses, and over many generations they have created a line of dogs which are pretty much true breeding, even then though you will get the occasional"sport" or throw-back. there are no cast iron guarantees.

if you breed worker x worker you have a good chance of getting racey fast dogs, especially if the dogs have large doses of sighthound in them, but fast doesnt make a worker, a proper lurcher needs so much more and personally i am happy to sacrifice some pace for the other qualities such as nose, brains, good feet, coat etc

spot on :yes:

Spot on :thumbs: if speed was everything wed all have greyhounds. It's electric when you see a real fast dog behind game, but it really isn't everything. A good dosage of determination goes along way for me, ;)

its a fine line between a clever dog and a jacker or a fast dog and a wreakless dog. then theres the pickers and choosers, good or bad depending on the owner, the speed freak with only 1 gear, again good or bad depending on the owner. This subject could go on for ever but at the end of the day it all comes down to what suites the owner if he finds his holy grail he will be the happiest man alive, however his holy grail might look more like a mcdonalds cup to the next man.