Why A First Cross?...rather Than Worker X Worker?

jamesmc.the years have gone by and many crosses i have tried i have brought a few lurcher to lurcher pups .the problem with lurcher to lurcher is that over time the progeny tend to get thinner coats lighter bone thinner pads and less stamina and less brains.as i have said before my father who was a young man in the 1920 era said to me if your line is getting weak you have to put the bitch back to collie lab gsd or something similar to put back whaht is being lost brains coat stamina etc..people on here talk nonsense when they say first cross litter wastage .if like me you used to like chaseing long ears then with a first cross you will get a lot of litter wastage because you are seeking speed.even in lurcher to lurcher most wont make hare dogs.but if you get a first cross like i had gsdxg thaht had speed stamina and brains coat etc then no lurcher to lurcher can match it.also lurcher to lurcher if they lack coat stamina brains take the lamp away and they are fecked.i can guarentee that any genuine cxg gsdxg labxg etc there will not be any litter wastage because one they wont blow up two they will all have brains three good pads four they wont rip like greyhoundy lurchers do. five they can handle lack of food and the cold better .six they will all be highly trainable for multitasking..a few will be very fast most will only be average speed.but if you get a fast one they canott be beaten because they have speed brains coat and stamina.if you are looking for a lurcher to lurcher the best crosses are cxg xdg.labxg xcg bullxgxcg gsdxcg etc .allways try to obtain lurchers with at least hailf greyhound or whippet and 2 quarters power brains coat stamina.collie lab gsd bull etc,even threequarter collie lab gsd bull quarter greyhound will suffice for mooching with .as i have said before if i want to go off roading i use a landrover.not a sports car .

some fair points :yes:;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hybrid vigour.

jamesmc.the years have gone by and many crosses i have tried i have brought a few lurcher to lurcher pups .the problem with lurcher to lurcher is that over time the progeny tend to get thinner coats l

first cross vs workerxworker. good question. any pup gets half it's genes from each parent. so with a first cross you can guarantee a dog with half its qualities, both physical and mental, from each p

jamesmc.the years have gone by and many crosses i have tried i have brought a few lurcher to lurcher pups .the problem with lurcher to lurcher is that over time the progeny tend to get thinner coats lighter bone thinner pads and less stamina and less brains.as i have said before my father who was a young man in the 1920 era said to me if your line is getting weak you have to put the bitch back to collie lab gsd or something similar to put back whaht is being lost brains coat stamina etc..people on here talk nonsense when they say first cross litter wastage .if like me you used to like chaseing long ears then with a first cross you will get a lot of litter wastage because you are seeking speed.even in lurcher to lurcher most wont make hare dogs.but if you get a first cross like i had gsdxg thaht had speed stamina and brains coat etc then no lurcher to lurcher can match it.also lurcher to lurcher if they lack coat stamina brains take the lamp away and they are fecked.i can guarentee that any genuine cxg gsdxg labxg etc there will not be any litter wastage because one they wont blow up two they will all have brains three good pads four they wont rip like greyhoundy lurchers do. five they can handle lack of food and the cold better .six they will all be highly trainable for multitasking..a few will be very fast most will only be average speed.but if you get a fast one they canott be beaten because they have speed brains coat and stamina.if you are looking for a lurcher to lurcher the best crosses are cxg xdg.labxg xcg bullxgxcg gsdxcg etc .allways try to obtain lurchers with at least hailf greyhound or whippet and 2 quarters power brains coat stamina.collie lab gsd bull etc,even threequarter collie lab gsd bull quarter greyhound will suffice for mooching with .as i have said before if i want to go off roading i use a landrover.not a sports car .

very good post will the younger generation see it this way , i have my doubts we are talking real lurchers here . atb bunnys.

well said and put mate :thumbs:

the younger generation will all say its what you put into the dog that makes the animal.us older lads will tell you that you cant polish a turd,if its scatter bred rubbish as a pup,it will at best be a well mannerd scatter bred adult.the lads at the top of there game,i mean those lads that always seem to have a good animal about them will all have one thing behind them,BLOOD tryed and tested lines keep the same lads at the top of there game.

bunnys.in the seventies i came across lots of lurcher owners who are no different to now.some owners want there dogs to chase any thing anywhere any distance i want a dog who if i lamp a rabitt looks and thinks.that rabitt is 300 yds out i dont have to galllop up there like my arse is on fire i can trot up to it.that rabbit is 80 yds away two foot from the hedge i am not going to gallop up there wasteing my energy .look that rabitt is on the squat if i approach steadily and silently i can grab it out of its seat .oh my master has set up the long net i can zig zag the field and drive the rabitts into the net .there is no need for me to maul them in the net they are allready caught .i have found a pheashant in the bush i know my master has a shotgun .i will freeze and flush on command when my master has his gun shoulderd and ready.oh my master has two lurchers one his side of the hedge his friend has one on the other. i will work the bramble and hawthorn on command to flush out the game.the pigeon hide is set i just wait for the command to fetch .there is something in that bush i know my master is going to bash the cover i know wher the ? is going to exit i will wait there . i think that some lurcher men in thier later years realise that by exspireince that lurcher to lurcher are usaully not up to the first crosses abilities .first cross are usaully not as fast but they make up for it in cunning stamina and versatility

well i have to agree with the older lads, wastage is a term for people who are after fast dogs

there's a thread on hear about 3/4 collies well what you term as wastage would suit the folk

who recognize the value of such a dog & hunt the land & in a way that those sorts of dogs

flourish admittedly there needs to be enough folk after that sort of dog at the time of your

litter & as for the sentence you highlighted being nonsense i don't know of any line of lurcher

that doesn't need to be pepped up with new blood from time to time with a good dose of

base in it be it a 1/2 x or a full breed the don dog is a good example i'm sure he will be put

back to andy's line & introduce a renewed vigor.nor am i sure about it's as much the handler

as the dog, i have a bitch here that while she has a decent nose as in if she ambles across

a cent she will follow it to the the end but will she actively go & look for a cent will she feck

she hunt mainly by sight & feck all i can do will change that & it drives me mad at times but

a good dose of base would sort that out.soz for going on a bit lol

• Like 1

the more i think about it,it does make sense :yes: ....i was a bit quick to reply and had not thought it through properly...so i will retract my statement blackgreyhound...who has walked the walk by the sounds of it ;)...i am no expert.....hence the reason i use this site.. :laugh:..but i am not daft either....and have been working dogs for quite a while,about 12 year a think....not as long as all you old farts :tongue2: ,it just so happens it has always been lurcher x lurcher...and they have all been great dogs,but they suit the ground i run....which also has alot to do with it i suppose.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

very good post will the younger generation see it this way , i have my doubts we are talking real lurchers here . atb bunnys.

Problem is that nowadays - as far as a lot of young lads are concerned - if it doesn't look like a lurcher it ain't a lurcher... :thumbs:

borderscot. i agree you only have to go to a lurcher show you would think you were at romford or crayford dog track.i went to one at northamton first one for years and i thought i was at a flapping track

Spot on - enjoy reading your posts mate :thumbs: