Who Has The Better Deerhound X,s ? David Platts Or Cooklands..?

Seems to me that some folks on here dont like the truth of other peoples experiences with the deerhoundx. Sounds to me like hot meat has had a bad time with them. Then when he openly admits it..he gets slated for it. If the truth is known then the deerhoundx seems to throw the most failures/not meeting expectations across the running dog spectrum. I'll gladly admit that this is the case in my experience with said x..atb NMF

Deerhound crosses,the mix is the most important part,hold their own in any company,on any chosen quarry.I prefer the addition of Border collie.In my experience,based on over 30 years graft with the breed,i would own no other type lurcher.Ive seen outstanding lurchers of various breeding,yet the Deerhound types,bred right,with the collie influence in my case,entered right and tested right,have few equals.Ive seen many quality lurchers make duffers because of the kennel they live in,its the same with any lurcher,if its bred from grafters a good kennel will get graft out of the mutt.

You've just hit the nail on the head there mate...you've out crossed the deer to a collie...so in essence you aint got a straight deer/grey cross or variation of it. The best of the bunch i seen was a deer/grey x beddy/grey..and even then i wouldnt have had it in my kennel..i am far from slating the breed ..just stating that i aint seen any that gave me the "wow i want one" factor..atb NMF

Any Deerhound about now have something else in the mix,if the breeders going to be honest,working types especially.I chuckle when people state that because they,ve never come across a good un,there can,t be any.Thats reflects the attitude of some now,if i wanted a good un of any mix,then id put in the miles,get out with the lads testing them and source from honest stock,rather than slate a breed because the initial stock was not what properly reflected the type.

In all fairness if i'd have seen one that was up to scratch then i'd be the first to say so..some of the dogs i seen go out were in the hands of capable dog men who seemed to have the knack of gettin the best out of their charges..granted on edible quarry they were ok..but for all round work ..which at that time counted foxes in the mix then they were wanting for want of a better word..if looks could kill then the deerhound x would be the top of the tree..but sadly that aint the case atb NMF

How many Deerhound type lurchers have you owned,trained and entered?,more importantly how much effort and time did you put into the initial stock,or your muckers?.If looks could kill then a Deerhoundy type would be the last that would reflect whats under the jacket.

Not owned 1..why? because of my above posts..now if they floated my boat then my kennel would be full of them. The lads i know that owned them were/and still are top dog men in most ways you could count. atb NMF

I try to base any input i give on experiences in the field,good or bad,if ive not owned,trained and entered a certain type lurcher,then i don,t enter an opinion,as it is basically flawed,no proper foundation.If i went on what id seen others run,or was unduly influenced by it,id give up with lurchers.

Think ive not experienced the cross in the field? try at least half a dozen a season over 20 seasons..do the maths...thats why i aint owned one...because every one ive ever seen with just deer/grey blood in it(with nowt else added) havnt impressed me in the slightest. So in your opinion i need to own one do i? i dont need to own a lada to know their shite do i? same with dogs...see a good few run before diving in and purchasing one..thats exactly what ive done..seen well over enough to know they aint for me. I think ive been around dogs long enough to know when a certain cross aint for me..infact i'd sooner have a straight greyhound tbh...at least that would be a good base to get me the end product i desire..atb NMF

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another pic of holly shes entered at 11 months but steady till she was 15 months now its what ever goes goes , she hit a few missed a few but all in all im a honest la

dave platts 5th gen dhxgh does what i wont him to but they do take a while to mature i think thats why alot of folk slag off this breed saying they are shite when they have run the dog too young and r

"THE girl dog " Only decent photo i have of her, and im no good with a camera so feckin make do lol collie grey x deer grey

Posted Images

Jukel you've had half a dozen or trev owns half a dozen? Robwelsh I wouldn't expect any pther type of answer off you lad. I don't know how old you are but I do know you are as green as spring grass boyo. You ded earlier in the thread your dog ain't even working properly yet haha but you know she will. You are either brand new or have never learnt nowt haha

i never said she isnt working yet. just held back on some stuff. cos i dont want to ruin her. i also said that her character wouldnt supprise me if she took well to fox work, but im not really intrested

Whether your intrested or not shouldn't stop you testing a great big dog like that 1 your pictured with.

Ill be honest I don't overly like killing something that you chuck in a ditch ( I even looked up how to use fox fur! Lol ) but every 1 see my bitch will be expected to race it and deal with it. ( after being shot at )

I think a lot of the people on this thread have car stickers on there back windows "I love deerhound xs" (good or bad)!

I look at a Lurcher as a Lurcher regardless of breed and judge it on performance nothing else.

I own a bitch that I lamp and ferret a rabbit hare dog she's a small sharp bitch she's took that spot in my team.

My other bitch must deal with anything the lamp hits I prefer a dog 25 + ideally to have the power to Finnish the job fast a deerhound 1st should have fitted into that category but they didn't so now there's something else in there kennel that will be looked after right and given there chance she's 13 months now and I'm hopefull for the stubble.

Robwelsh were all different but I wouldn't pose proudly with a great big dog until it had done some proper graft, looks don't kill, it's what you can't see that's beating inside thier chest that make me proud of a dog, a 30 inch dog should destroy a fox simple as that.

Not a personal dig rob, just deerhound x brigade seem blinkered and ask less of there charges than some others, they always looking cracking in a photo!

where did i say in any post that she wont be tested? lol i cant see it, like i have said, its my first lurcher, i havent f****d her up yet, so taking it slowly...if thats [bANNED TEXT] with you ? lol and as far as testing goes, i wont be going out night after night just to see if she gets sick of it, or whether shes some super dog everyone chases on here....if she takes to it, she takes to it, i think she will, but still it doesnt bother me if it doesnt, not the end of the world.

you say posing around with a 30 inch dog? i couldnt care if she wwas 22...25. or 32, shes my dog, what i do with her is up to me, if shes couple of months behind other crosses so be it. id rather have a quick dog, that can turn shit hot, for the trickier game, than have a dog that likes " SMASHING" foxes , wow! if i wanted to do fox work, id get a terrier...or a rifle. afterall foxes are proper pests, they are a nuisance, but you cant eat the fuckers can u? theres far more fun and TESTING to be done with a lurcher than foxing, and its edible too.

maybe not a personal dig, but u say deer x brigade blinkered, ? if you ask me, they seem the least to brag, and tend to be open minded.

And it's not him in the pic, it's me. It must be the silly season, all this talk of dogs which will or won't take fox, regardless of size or breeding, is bringing out the hooligan in people! lol

Jukel you've had half a dozen or trev owns half a dozen? Robwelsh I wouldn't expect any pther type of answer off you lad. I don't know how old you are but I do know you are as green as spring grass boyo. You ded earlier in the thread your dog ain't even working properly yet haha but you know she will. You are either brand new or have never learnt nowt haha

i never said she isnt working yet. just held back on some stuff. cos i dont want to ruin her. i also said that her character wouldnt supprise me if she took well to fox work, but im not really intrested
Whether your intrested or not shouldn't stop you testing a great big dog like that 1 your pictured with.

Ill be honest I don't overly like killing something that you chuck in a ditch ( I even looked up how to use fox fur! Lol ) but every 1 see my bitch will be expected to race it and deal with it. ( after being shot at )

I think a lot of the people on this thread have car stickers on there back windows "I love deerhound xs" (good or bad)!

I look at a Lurcher as a Lurcher regardless of breed and judge it on performance nothing else.

I own a bitch that I lamp and ferret a rabbit hare dog she's a small sharp bitch she's took that spot in my team.

My other bitch must deal with anything the lamp hits I prefer a dog 25 + ideally to have the power to Finnish the job fast a deerhound 1st should have fitted into that category but they didn't so now there's something else in there kennel that will be looked after right and given there chance she's 13 months now and I'm hopefull for the stubble.

Robwelsh were all different but I wouldn't pose proudly with a great big dog until it had done some proper graft, looks don't kill, it's what you can't see that's beating inside thier chest that make me proud of a dog, a 30 inch dog should destroy a fox simple as that.

Not a personal dig rob, just deerhound x brigade seem blinkered and ask less of there charges than some others, they always looking cracking in a photo!

where did i say in any post that she wont be tested? lol i cant see it, like i have said, its my first lurcher, i havent f****d her up yet, so taking it slowly...if thats [bANNED TEXT] with you ? lol and as far as testing goes, i wont be going out night after night just to see if she gets sick of it, or whether shes some super dog everyone chases on here....if she takes to it, she takes to it, i think she will, but still it doesnt bother me if it doesnt, not the end of the world.

you say posing around with a 30 inch dog? i couldnt care if she wwas 22...25. or 32, shes my dog, what i do with her is up to me, if shes couple of months behind other crosses so be it. id rather have a quick dog, that can turn shit hot, for the trickier game, than have a dog that likes " SMASHING" foxes , wow! if i wanted to do fox work, id get a terrier...or a rifle. afterall foxes are proper pests, they are a nuisance, but you cant eat the fuckers can u? theres far more fun and TESTING to be done with a lurcher than foxing, and its edible too.

maybe not a personal dig, but u say deer x brigade blinkered, ? if you ask me, they seem the least to brag, and tend to be open minded.

Don't rant at me,

it's your first Lurcher?! I could have said that to you when I was 12 year old.

If you wanted to kill fox you'd get a rifle would you?

By your posts and the knowledge you'v shared with others I'd have guessed you'd been into lurchers a long long time. What tricky game you on about that needs a 30 inch dog that turns tight do you know yourself?

As green as grass.

• Like 1

And it's not him in the pic, it's me. It must be the silly season, all this talk of dogs which will or won't take fox, regardless of size or breeding, is bringing out the hooligan in people! lol. And I agree with morton, I think a more allrounder type is achieved by putting a bit of collie in, which the bitch in the pic is, sire c/g dam d/g

Whether your intrested or not shouldn't stop you testing a great big dog like that 1 your pictured with.Ill be honest I don't overly like killing something that you chuck in a ditch ( I even looked up how to use fox fur! Lol ) but every 1 see my bitch will be expected to race it and deal with it. ( after being shot at )I think a lot of the people on this thread have car stickers on there back windows "I love deerhound xs" (good or bad)!I look at a Lurcher as a Lurcher regardless of breed and judge it on performance nothing else.I own a bitch that I lamp and ferret a rabbit hare dog she's a small sharp bitch she's took that spot in my team.My other bitch must deal with anything the lamp hits I prefer a dog 25 + ideally to have the power to Finnish the job fast a deerhound 1st should have fitted into that category but they didn't so now there's something else in there kennel that will be looked after right and given there chance she's 13 months now and I'm hopefull for the stubble.Robwelsh were all different but I wouldn't pose proudly with a great big dog until it had done some proper graft, looks don't kill, it's what you can't see that's beating inside thier chest that make me proud of a dog, a 30 inch dog should destroy a fox simple as that.Not a personal dig rob, just deerhound x brigade seem blinkered and ask less of there charges than some others, they always looking cracking in a photo!
where did i say in any post that she wont be tested? lol i cant see it, like i have said, its my first lurcher, i havent f****d her up yet, so taking it slowly...if thats [bANNED TEXT] with you ? lol and as far as testing goes, i wont be going out night after night just to see if she gets sick of it, or whether shes some super dog everyone chases on here....if she takes to it, she takes to it, i think she will, but still it doesnt bother me if it doesnt, not the end of the world.you say posing around with a 30 inch dog? i couldnt care if she wwas 22...25. or 32, shes my dog, what i do with her is up to me, if shes couple of months behind other crosses so be it. id rather have a quick dog, that can turn shit hot, for the trickier game, than have a dog that likes " SMASHING" foxes , wow! if i wanted to do fox work, id get a terrier...or a rifle. afterall foxes are proper pests, they are a nuisance, but you cant eat the fuckers can u? theres far more fun and TESTING to be done with a lurcher than foxing, and its edible too.maybe not a personal dig, but u say deer x brigade blinkered, ? if you ask me, they seem the least to brag, and tend to be open minded.
And it's not him in the pic, it's me. It must be the silly season, all this talk of dogs which will or won't take fox, regardless of size or breeding, is bringing out the hooligan in people! lol

Did you both decide to take up a new hobby together?

Whether your intrested or not shouldn't stop you testing a great big dog like that 1 your pictured with.Ill be honest I don't overly like killing something that you chuck in a ditch ( I even looked up how to use fox fur! Lol ) but every 1 see my bitch will be expected to race it and deal with it. ( after being shot at )I think a lot of the people on this thread have car stickers on there back windows "I love deerhound xs" (good or bad)!I look at a Lurcher as a Lurcher regardless of breed and judge it on performance nothing else.I own a bitch that I lamp and ferret a rabbit hare dog she's a small sharp bitch she's took that spot in my team.My other bitch must deal with anything the lamp hits I prefer a dog 25 + ideally to have the power to Finnish the job fast a deerhound 1st should have fitted into that category but they didn't so now there's something else in there kennel that will be looked after right and given there chance she's 13 months now and I'm hopefull for the stubble.Robwelsh were all different but I wouldn't pose proudly with a great big dog until it had done some proper graft, looks don't kill, it's what you can't see that's beating inside thier chest that make me proud of a dog, a 30 inch dog should destroy a fox simple as that.Not a personal dig rob, just deerhound x brigade seem blinkered and ask less of there charges than some others, they always looking cracking in a photo!
where did i say in any post that she wont be tested? lol i cant see it, like i have said, its my first lurcher, i havent f****d her up yet, so taking it slowly...if thats [bANNED TEXT] with you ? lol and as far as testing goes, i wont be going out night after night just to see if she gets sick of it, or whether shes some super dog everyone chases on here....if she takes to it, she takes to it, i think she will, but still it doesnt bother me if it doesnt, not the end of the world.you say posing around with a 30 inch dog? i couldnt care if she wwas 22...25. or 32, shes my dog, what i do with her is up to me, if shes couple of months behind other crosses so be it. id rather have a quick dog, that can turn shit hot, for the trickier game, than have a dog that likes " SMASHING" foxes , wow! if i wanted to do fox work, id get a terrier...or a rifle. afterall foxes are proper pests, they are a nuisance, but you cant eat the fuckers can u? theres far more fun and TESTING to be done with a lurcher than foxing, and its edible too.maybe not a personal dig, but u say deer x brigade blinkered, ? if you ask me, they seem the least to brag, and tend to be open minded.
Did you both decide to take up a new hobby together?

yes mate, keep judging mate. by the sounds of everyone who hates deer xs, have all had about 50 dogs between u all, and not one has turned out good lol whether iv had dogs 2 years or 20 got feck all to do with you. you started ranting at me, saying im posing with a feckin lurcher, give me break mate.

Ill give you a break.

but I wouldn't lecture some one with vastly more experience in something than I had. I'm honest when I look at a dog, if you'v never had a Lurcher what have you to judge it against?

I don't hate deerhounds!

Yours ain't even a first cross anyway that's what the topics about and I've limited experience in both breeders.

Edited by baldockbanks courser
  • Like 1

I have had the experience of a platt bred dh/gh. First of all my fone bill was through the roof. The bloke can talk lol. I travelled 3hrs for the pup because at the tym 2002 had reali set my heart on a dh/gh. Brought the pup bk home dog pup it was. Ryt from the word go was reali hard work just did what it wanted to and i put alot of tym into it. Only dog thats ever made me loose the plot lol. I started the dog on the lamp about 12month old and it struggled. This dog was 29tts and didnt like to jump. You can imagine haveing to lift it over fences all nyt long. At 2yr old after putting loads n loads of tym into it. the dog Couldnt turn properly it had the turning circle of a bus. Didnt lyk teeth. Got straight lined on long ears. It Couldnt catch a rabbit in a fone box to tell u the truth. Its time was up when i pulled a roe off a fence for em and he just stood ther a watched it run off. This myt just be a one off but i would never buy a pup in off this breeding again. The dog was 5 generatin dh/gh firstx to firstx put back to firstx. Dam was called belle and sire was called raven.

Thats an harsh lesson mucker,money time and effort that would have bourne fruit with a pup from genuine grafters,bred from grafters.Id never own a pup unless i actually witnessed at least one of the parents tested,not always possible,but easier to walk away from a breeder thats unwilling to show a dog at work,than it is to part with brass on a chancer.

Yes mate hard lesson learnt!!!! Alot of time and money wasted. Put me off this cross for life and would never go down the deerhound/greyhound route again. Showed me up many a times that dog.

Ill give you a break.

but I wouldn't lecture some one with vastly more experience in something than I had. I'm honest when I look at a dog, if you'v never had a Lurcher what have you to judge it against?

infact, i couldnt careless. i know nothing....i havent lectured anyone, read what i said. i cba to go over old ground.

Edited by robwelsh

always finish in feb time the coldness was gone tho

A fair bit with half a dozen single handed dogs. Fair play the man must have a time machine or something haha I'll tell yous what guys I'll leave this thread and let you guys fool yourselves and each other. But my last words of wisdom on the subject before I leave is to any new comers who want this type. Do not take a pup unless you have seen the parents graft and preferably a few times...jukel I never insulted anybody it was me that they tried to belittle

Listen Lily savage part 2 the funny season has started,no good coming on here if you have'nt got a sense of humour,better to take your hot meat back to the fields and blow in a sheep's ear :boogy::laugh:

Seen a few over the years, a few first crosses and a few more three quarters, not one of them impressed me and to be honest put me off owning one. The original stuff came fom a guy called Andy Barron. Didn't like teeth, didn't have the stamina for an arduous course, rabbits tied them in knots.

• Like 3

Seems to me that some folks on here dont like the truth of other peoples experiences with the deerhoundx. Sounds to me like hot meat has had a bad time with them. Then when he openly admits it..he gets slated for it. If the truth is known then the deerhoundx seems to throw the most failures/not meeting expectations across the running dog spectrum. I'll gladly admit that this is the case in my experience with said x..atb NMF

Deerhound crosses,the mix is the most important part,hold their own in any company,on any chosen quarry.I prefer the addition of Border collie.In my experience,based on over 30 years graft with the breed,i would own no other type lurcher.Ive seen outstanding lurchers of various breeding,yet the Deerhound types,bred right,with the collie influence in my case,entered right and tested right,have few equals.Ive seen many quality lurchers make duffers because of the kennel they live in,its the same with any lurcher,if its bred from grafters a good kennel will get graft out of the mutt.

You've just hit the nail on the head there mate...you've out crossed the deer to a collie...so in essence you aint got a straight deer/grey cross or variation of it. The best of the bunch i seen was a deer/grey x beddy/grey..and even then i wouldnt have had it in my kennel..i am far from slating the breed ..just stating that i aint seen any that gave me the "wow i want one" factor..atb NMF

Any Deerhound about now have something else in the mix,if the breeders going to be honest,working types especially.I chuckle when people state that because they,ve never come across a good un,there can,t be any.Thats reflects the attitude of some now,if i wanted a good un of any mix,then id put in the miles,get out with the lads testing them and source from honest stock,rather than slate a breed because the initial stock was not what properly reflected the type.

In all fairness if i'd have seen one that was up to scratch then i'd be the first to say so..some of the dogs i seen go out were in the hands of capable dog men who seemed to have the knack of gettin the best out of their charges..granted on edible quarry they were ok..but for all round work ..which at that time counted foxes in the mix then they were wanting for want of a better word..if looks could kill then the deerhound x would be the top of the tree..but sadly that aint the case atb NMF

How many Deerhound type lurchers have you owned,trained and entered?,more importantly how much effort and time did you put into the initial stock,or your muckers?.If looks could kill then a Deerhoundy type would be the last that would reflect whats under the jacket.

Not owned 1..why? because of my above posts..now if they floated my boat then my kennel would be full of them. The lads i know that owned them were/and still are top dog men in most ways you could count. atb NMF

I try to base any input i give on experiences in the field,good or bad,if ive not owned,trained and entered a certain type lurcher,then i don,t enter an opinion,as it is basically flawed,no proper foundation.If i went on what id seen others run,or was unduly influenced by it,id give up with lurchers.

Think ive not experienced the cross in the field? try at least half a dozen a season over 20 seasons..do the maths...thats why i aint owned one...because every one ive ever seen with just deer/grey blood in it(with nowt else added) havnt impressed me in the slightest. So in your opinion i need to own one do i? i dont need to own a lada to know their shite do i? same with dogs...see a good few run before diving in and purchasing one..thats exactly what ive done..seen well over enough to know they aint for me. I think ive been around dogs long enough to know when a certain cross aint for me..infact i'd sooner have a straight greyhound tbh...at least that would be a good base to get me the end product i desire..atb NMF

The best fox dog ive ever seen was a 3/4 Deerhound/grey,mullered em and carried em back over walls and wire,possibly not the norm,i to would not own a Deerhound type lurcher unless it had something else to get the best out of the breeding,i beleive Border collie brings the best out in this type of runner,do i honestly beleive youve witnessed that amount of this type of lurcher and still not been impressed?,no.Youve possibly seen a couple of duffers and based your opinion on that,as folk oft do,a very useful mix in a lurcher is the Deerhound,as long as its balanced with something that makes the most of its stride,grace and power.

• Like 2

The best fox dog ive ever seen was a 3/4 Deerhound/grey,mullered em and carried em back over walls and wire,possibly not the norm,i to would not own a Deerhound type lurcher unless it had something else to get the best out of the breeding,i beleive Border collie brings the best out in this type of runner,do i honestly beleive youve witnessed that amount of this type of lurcher and still not been impressed?,no.Youve possibly seen a couple of duffers and based your opinion on that,as folk oft do,a very useful mix in a lurcher is the Deerhound,as long as its balanced with something that makes the most of its stride,grace and power.

:thumbs: you speak alot of sense morton.

Seen a few over the years, a few first crosses and a few more three quarters, not one of them impressed me and to be honest put me off owning one. The original stuff came fom a guy called Andy Barron. Didn't like teeth, didn't have the stamina for an arduous course, rabbits tied them in knots.

Like you say"youve seen a few"a few is no yardstick?,they are blessed with stamina,obviously with their size possibly not best suited to bunny,s,but the owners that tread the Deerhoundy path won,t be to fussed about that,a bunny won,t fill a freezer that one run with a Deerhoundy lurcher will?and as for not liking teeth,its in the parents,its in the pups,be selective in what you initially source and the rest follows.

• Like 2