Who Has The Better Deerhound X,s ? David Platts Or Cooklands..?

Seems to me that some folks on here dont like the truth of other peoples experiences with the deerhoundx. Sounds to me like hot meat has had a bad time with them. Then when he openly admits it..he gets slated for it. If the truth is known then the deerhoundx seems to throw the most failures/not meeting expectations across the running dog spectrum. I'll gladly admit that this is the case in my experience with said x..atb NMF

Deerhound crosses,the mix is the most important part,hold their own in any company,on any chosen quarry.I prefer the addition of Border collie.In my experience,based on over 30 years graft with the breed,i would own no other type lurcher.Ive seen outstanding lurchers of various breeding,yet the Deerhound types,bred right,with the collie influence in my case,entered right and tested right,have few equals.Ive seen many quality lurchers make duffers because of the kennel they live in,its the same with any lurcher,if its bred from grafters a good kennel will get graft out of the mutt.

You've just hit the nail on the head there mate...you've out crossed the deer to a collie...so in essence you aint got a straight deer/grey cross or variation of it. The best of the bunch i seen was a deer/grey x beddy/grey..and even then i wouldnt have had it in my kennel..i am far from slating the breed ..just stating that i aint seen any that gave me the "wow i want one" factor..atb NMF

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another pic of holly shes entered at 11 months but steady till she was 15 months now its what ever goes goes , she hit a few missed a few but all in all im a honest la

dave platts 5th gen dhxgh does what i wont him to but they do take a while to mature i think thats why alot of folk slag off this breed saying they are shite when they have run the dog too young and r

"THE girl dog " Only decent photo i have of her, and im no good with a camera so feckin make do lol collie grey x deer grey

Posted Images

Atleast you talk from experience mate not like the guys insulting folk I'm betting. Any pics of them with the added collie blood. I ain't anti deerhound I said I had two good lurchers that I believe there succses had a lot to do with the deerhound blood. As far as first and crosses go tho. I'm done with them. An for the guy that said trev works his dogs. Well I was toldvdiffrent a year and a half ago. When a mate spoke to trev himself on the phone and trev said his dogs were given light work., that's not work to me. How many dogs does trev own? Anybody know?

Seems to me that some folks on here dont like the truth of other peoples experiences with the deerhoundx. Sounds to me like hot meat has had a bad time with them. Then when he openly admits it..he gets slated for it. If the truth is known then the deerhoundx seems to throw the most failures/not meeting expectations across the running dog spectrum. I'll gladly admit that this is the case in my experience with said x..atb NMF

Deerhound crosses,the mix is the most important part,hold their own in any company,on any chosen quarry.I prefer the addition of Border collie.In my experience,based on over 30 years graft with the breed,i would own no other type lurcher.Ive seen outstanding lurchers of various breeding,yet the Deerhound types,bred right,with the collie influence in my case,entered right and tested right,have few equals.Ive seen many quality lurchers make duffers because of the kennel they live in,its the same with any lurcher,if its bred from grafters a good kennel will get graft out of the mutt.

You've just hit the nail on the head there mate...you've out crossed the deer to a collie...so in essence you aint got a straight deer/grey cross or variation of it. The best of the bunch i seen was a deer/grey x beddy/grey..and even then i wouldnt have had it in my kennel..i am far from slating the breed ..just stating that i aint seen any that gave me the "wow i want one" factor..atb NMF

Any Deerhound about now have something else in the mix,if the breeders going to be honest,working types especially.I chuckle when people state that because they,ve never come across a good un,there can,t be any.Thats reflects the attitude of some now,if i wanted a good un of any mix,then id put in the miles,get out with the lads testing them and source from honest stock,rather than slate a breed because the initial stock was not what properly reflected the type.

Any Deerhound about now have something else in the mix,if the breeders going to be honest,working types especially.I chuckle when people state that because they,ve never come across a good un,there can,t be any.Thats reflects the attitude of some now,if i wanted a good un of any mix,then id put in the miles,get out with the lads testing them and source from honest stock,rather than slate a breed because the initial stock was not what properly reflected the type.

In all fairness if i'd have seen one that was up to scratch then i'd be the first to say so..some of the dogs i seen go out were in the hands of capable dog men who seemed to have the knack of gettin the best out of their charges..granted on edible quarry they were ok..but for all round work ..which at that time counted foxes in the mix then they were wanting for want of a better word..if looks could kill then the deerhound x would be the top of the tree..but sadly that aint the case atb NMF

Atleast you talk from experience mate not like the guys insulting folk I'm betting. Any pics of them with the added collie blood. I ain't anti deerhound I said I had two good lurchers that I believe there succses had a lot to do with the deerhound blood. As far as first and crosses go tho. I'm done with them. An for the guy that said trev works his dogs. Well I was toldvdiffrent a year and a half ago. When a mate spoke to trev himself on the phone and trev said his dogs were given light work., that's not work to me. How many dogs does trev own? Anybody know?

When I spoke to him last he told me he works his deehounds regularly. He reckons the deerhounds are single handed.

His new stud dog was single handed at 13 month old..He doesn't seem like a bullshitter to me.

Different guys have said to me the deer/grey is improved dramatically by adding collie blood to the mix.I've often heard it said that deer/grey collie/ grey are the dogs bollox.

Edited by jukel123

Jukel you've had half a dozen or trev owns half a dozen? Robwelsh I wouldn't expect any pther type of answer off you lad. I don't know how old you are but I do know you are as green as spring grass boyo. You ded earlier in the thread your dog ain't even working properly yet haha but you know she will. You are either brand new or have never learnt nowt haha

Well, to me taking fox isn't really lurcherwork, rabbit, hare and deer is. I've seen plenty, and owned a couple, of deerhound x's that were very good at taking ALL of the quarry I mentioned very regularly. Best fox dog, any x, I've personally seen was my mates 1st x deer/grey in the late 80's early 90's, job over in seconds, no fuss. Perhaps deerhounds were bred with more emphasis on work up until recent years? Same dog took everything single handed on the lamp, and made it look effortless more often than not. Not a bad hare dog in the day either. People can bleat on about bull x's all they want, but it's bullshit, they aint gonna live with a deerhound x at any type of lurcherwork, and hanging about a fox earth isn't really taxing for any x, and as I said, isn't really lurcherwork. And that's my opinion and what I've seen.

• Like 1

In all fairness if i'd have seen one that was up to scratch then i'd be the first to say so..some of the dogs i seen go out were in the hands of capable dog men who seemed to have the knack of gettin the best out of their charges..granted on edible quarry they were ok..but for all round work ..which at that time counted foxes in the mix then they were wanting for want of a better word..if looks could kill then the deerhound x would be the top of the tree..but sadly that aint the case atb NMF

How many Deerhound type lurchers have you owned,trained and entered?,more importantly how much effort and time did you put into the initial stock,or your muckers?.If looks could kill then a Deerhoundy type would be the last that would reflect whats under the jacket.

Well, to me taking fox isn't really lurcherwork, rabbit, hare and deer is. I've seen plenty, and owned a couple, of deerhound x's that were very good at taking ALL of the quarry I mentioned very regularly. Best fox dog, any x, I've personally seen was my mates 1st x deer/grey in the late 80's early 90's, job over in seconds, no fuss. Perhaps deerhounds were bred with more emphasis on work up until recent years? Same dog took everything single handed on the lamp, and made it look effortless more often than not. Not a bad hare dog in the day either. People can bleat on about bull x's all they want, but it's bullshit, they aint gonna live with a deerhound x at any type of lurcherwork, and hanging about a fox earth isn't really taxing for any x, and as I said, isn't really lurcherwork. And that's my opinion and what I've seen.

Allround lurcher work consists of rabbit..hare..deer and fox..so if it dont take fox(which is a moot point now that the ban is in place) then it dont take the title of an allround lurcher..not after an argument or wanting to fetch any other breed into the thread because this is a deerhound/greyhound thread. thats just what i see as an allround dog/bitch...atb NMF

Anybody with six running dogs is lying to them selves that them dogs are getting grafted..unless fourvor five are retired haha after all six single handed thirty inch dogs can't get a lot of graft one or even two nites a week. Don't you agree

How many Deerhound type lurchers have you owned,trained and entered?,more importantly how much effort and time did you put into the initial stock,or your muckers?.If looks could kill then a Deerhoundy type would be the last that would reflect whats under the jacket.

Not owned 1..why? because of my above posts..now if they floated my boat then my kennel would be full of them. The lads i know that owned them were/and still are top dog men in most ways you could count. atb NMF

Jukel you've had half a dozen or trev owns half a dozen? Robwelsh I wouldn't expect any pther type of answer off you lad. I don't know how old you are but I do know you are as green as spring grass boyo. You ded earlier in the thread your dog ain't even working properly yet haha but you know she will. You are either brand new or have never learnt nowt haha

i never said she isnt working yet. just held back on some stuff. cos i dont want to ruin her. i also said that her character wouldnt supprise me if she took well to fox work, but im not really intrested