Who Has The Better Deerhound X,s ? David Platts Or Cooklands..?

Be fair to the litter and Trevor have they all been taken by men who's main objective is owning an all around dog that MUST take ALL QUARIE. Even if your not an out and out fox man which I'm not really you really should test a big dog like a first x on all challenging quarrie.

I can't say that I can vouch for all the people who had the pups but I can say the 2 we had got every chance to take all quarrie.

Don't want to be biased so to highlight the Platts bitch I had aswell ended up showing she had a heart the size of a pea and I put a nice bit in front of her some of witch she took but I'm the 1 who chooses what stuff we run not her!

How many of them have you had that failed mate?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another pic of holly shes entered at 11 months but steady till she was 15 months now its what ever goes goes , she hit a few missed a few but all in all im a honest la

dave platts 5th gen dhxgh does what i wont him to but they do take a while to mature i think thats why alot of folk slag off this breed saying they are shite when they have run the dog too young and r

"THE girl dog " Only decent photo i have of her, and im no good with a camera so feckin make do lol collie grey x deer grey

Posted Images

Well if this is true that worked and proven dh x parents with failed litters just goes to shoe that proven stock is shit. Hancock has a right ribbin, but his pups turn out good from what I hear. Or are people telling porkies and doing something wrong raising the pups?

The proportion of hancock pups making the grade will be no more or less than any other litter of c/gh being produced out of un proven, non working parents.

As for the dhx failure rates etc.. I have written stuff out.. then thought better of it and deleted so many times that its doing my head in.. A very frustrating thread to read as someone with 2 fully working dh lurchers

Lol after a few of my own unwise posts recently I've deciced to give it a break and just read other posts, rather than just charge in with some of my heat of the moment thoughts! No disrespect intended to anyone :victory: . @ Fuji, I wasn't suggesting that you're not a dogman, if you took it that way, your dogs are a credit to you, just that saluki types aint my cup of tea, and was just wondering if the trainability/character etc of yours might possibly have come from the non saluki blood in them :thumbs:

As I tried to make clear lapin it's only the experience of the dogs I had and by no means can you judge all deerhounds by it.

I'll tel you the exact circumstances.

I got a pup, my brother liked look of it so I rung Trevor to see if he had 1 he could buy, my brother bought a pup Trevor kept from a litter for himself, she was obedient no trouble a nice steady un entered bitch and if I Rember about 6- 10 month.

Through this great site I meet a fellow ( hairy long ears) deerhound owner, invited hI'm on my permission to run his 3 year old Platts bitch,

I was very impressed with her to say the least running hares single handed and other gear doubled up on the lamp, I ended buying her some months later as a schooling bitch for the pups first and fore most, she did her job for a while getting gear down for them, she jacked they never came to it.

Platts bitch went back as agreed when I bought her and we cut our losses on the 2 twoyearold bitch pups.

Im my qualified to say deerhound xs are no good but I won't be rushing out for another 1 soon.

Lappin Ill tell you all the ins and outs if you want I cant put 2 years on here, pm me.

I have a platts dog does me proud that's for sure but will be having one off trev some time I no they can do the job and well if braught up correctly and entad right you will all ways get good and bad dogs no matter what the x is years ago I had a dhxgh x colliexgh would not touch a fox but was a verry good rabbit hare and deer dog had a 3/4 x dhxgh one moody dog would run when she wotad to do gingers some nights and not the other ??? Good deer dog

Sorry didn't answer the question

Iv only ever had 3 which is nothing.

I was ment to say im not qualified to comment on deerhound xs, I think due to the large volumes of work bill Doherty did with his dogs he is, but then bill and or his dad aren't guiding the ship no more.

to be honest I think having 3 that all failed I would think certainly qualifies you to have an opinion!

I will pm you later when i have more time, happy to give a warts and all account of mine and how they developed (and are still developing, as my black dog is only 20 months so has some way to go yet. Like I said before I have no level of bias towards one breed or another, but i think people should be expecting more from a dog their size if its not what they're getting

• Like 1

It plays a big part in it i feel as i said you get good and bad in any x i have seen and owned a few good dh x what did fox no bother only 2 out of the ones i owned was funny with them all the ones i owned what did fox was confident dogs the other 2 not so much so like i said bring them up correctly and enter them correctly that my opinion on it

I beg to differ about entering a dog all I have read on this thread sound good honest replys !! Out of what 10 people on thread 3 are not convinced have not written deerhound x's off The lads/ladies who have put there remarks up sound no different to each other all obvisely put game in front of there dogs and sound truthful of there experience !! So if you look at percentages 70% of deer greys are honest working dogs not to bad really like to see what other x's percentages are !! I for one will always have them in my kennel never had one that never picked up a rabbit or roe in its life but had a couple that excelled at it and bigger ..

• Like 2

I think the way forward is if somebody has a deerhound bitch thats solid in a full range of quarry then they need to be getting in touch with someone with a solid dog and making sure the pups go to working homes. Any matings to produce a cross should also be to a greyhound bitch thats solid in a full range of quarry. I would never breed from a greyhound bitch thats not killing a fox. If you want a good fox dog then you want a pup from two dogs that are killing a fox and even then its not always guaranteed.

Im a committed yankee fan but truely would love for there to be more dogs in the hunting world that were as committed and consistent as them for concentrated work on foxes. I think it can be done with a range of lurchers as long as both parents are killing foxes. A mate of mine recently bred a litter of collie greys and the greyhound and collie were both killing foxes,I think this is the only way forward. I would take on a full deerhound pup from two genuine fox killing dogs in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Seen plenty run over the years(from the mid 80's)..not 1 could cut the mustard when the going got really tough(high numbers weekly) some would have put michael jackson to shame with the moon walking around toothed quarry lol. Nice to look at..nice in full flow..shame they aint as nice at the business end tbh because by sheer size alone should equate to an awesome killer. Sadly this isnt the case. Edible game dogs with the occasional toothed quarry thrown in would be an apt description of a decent deerhound x nowadays...unless diluted with bull blood to up the tenacity. just my experience with the breed thats all..nothing more nothing less ..atb NMF

deerhounds and there crosses are pure rubbish,potlicking pencil necked shit eaters.

deerhounds and there crosses are pure rubbish,potlicking pencil necked shit eaters.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

been looking at the forum for a few weeks now

so thought id better join

hello im pete

im hopeing to find a lurcher on here and to gain some advice

about how to work him .. this will be my first ever dog

that is one of your posts, so f**k off you have no right to say!