Got A Problem With A New Gun! I Cant Hit Anything With It Im Confused.

The first shotgun I owned was a brand new grd3 Browning 425 with a 14 3/4" stock pretty straight and I shot the gun well but it was a game gun so it kicked on the clays after 75 or so.

So I bought a Beretta silver pigeon 3 brand new and the stock dimensions just suited me perfect and my scores improved no end with it on the clays in fact I shot it better than Ive ever shot another gun.

Anyhow I was doing more game in the end so I traded both for one gun as swapping guns isnt good for your technique and I thought I buy something that can do both game and clays equally as well, so I bought a Ceasar Guerini Maxum 30" and what a gun it was, it took a little time to adjust my style as I struggled with it at first, but in the end I shot it great.

But i thought the odd miss was down to the gun and I was convinced the barrels were not as well made as Beretta barrels so I sold the Guerini after 4 yrs with it and bought another Silver pigeon 3 but this one is a LTD edition and has a very pretty stock and hand engraved match trigger and gel tec recoil pad.

Anyway Ive had it months and never got round to going claying with it yet but I did get out yesterday and the day before and got a right shock, I shot like a proper tool, I couldn't even hit a close teal, I have shot woodies with it also but was missing a lot of birds.

Now I tried all sorts to get on the clays but Im sure the gun is the same dimensions as my first silver pigeon but it dont shoot anything like it, do I get rid of the gun as I dont want any stock alterations as the wood is too nice to start messing with.

or do I open the chokes up get some better cartridges and persevere?

It a dam shame to have to sell as I wont find a better looker for the money it cost.

All the head.........if your not a natural then you need to practice to keep sharp.... :thumbs:

Ive never had a lesson but Ive shot 48s before with my last beretta and the Guerini and won a few prizes.

I can usually pick anything up and shoot em, in fact my mate had and old zoli he paid £120 for and it only has a 14" stock so I said just lend up your gun to se if I can hit owt and I even shot that better than mine but he wouldnt swap me lol

I have known people with old Baikels win other mates with Kriegoffs so Im fully aware its not what you pay for a gun its how it fits, the thing thats got me baffled is the fact this gun I have is exactly the same dimentions of the last Beretta I had so I just cant work it out, Ive already put it up for sale and if it sells it sells.

I know what you mean though about it being in my head Ive thought that myself could I just have it in my head that the beretta was the best gun I owned, because on some days I could shoot the others just as well.

I also think Ive been pigeon shooting sat down for the last 3 weeks so I may have lost my technique a bit because of that as we know woodies is snap shooting not swinging into long crossers all the time and springing teal, most clays are pretty unatural especially those high tower birds with the wind behind em, I usually hit a few of those though but not yesterday.

All the head.........if your not a natural then you need to practice to keep sharp.... :thumbs:

Ive never had a lesson but Ive shot 48s before with my last beretta and the Guerini and won a few prizes.

I can usually pick anything up and shoot em, in fact my mate had and old zoli he paid £120 for and it only has a 14" stock so I said just lend up your gun to se if I can hit owt and I even shot that better than mine but he wouldnt swap me lol

I have known people with old Baikels win other mates with Kriegoffs so Im fully aware its not what you pay for a gun its how it fits, the thing thats got me baffled is the fact this gun I have is exactly the same dimentions of the last Beretta I had so I just cant work it out, Ive already put it up for sale and if it sells it sells.

I know what you mean though about it being in my head Ive thought that myself could I just have it in my head that the beretta was the best gun I owned, because on some days I could shoot the others just as well.

I also think Ive been pigeon shooting sat down for the last 3 weeks so I may have lost my technique a bit because of that as we know woodies is snap shooting not swinging into long crossers all the time and springing teal, most clays are pretty unatural especially those high tower birds with the wind behind em, I usually hit a few of those though but not yesterday.

I'd put myself in the "not a bad shot" category. One day i cant miss and the next i'm useless. I dont shoot alot so thats probably the problem. My first gun was an old Baikal.....loved it. Fitted me great and was a good weight. Got rid of that when i got a Bettinsoli from my Grandads brother.....too heavy, couldnt hit anything. Just sits in the cabinet now cause i have lost all confidence with it. I now use a Franchi that i paid £50 for......pad on the back of it cause its a bit small... :thumbs:

Ive noticed over the years if its sport that brings the gun out im very inconsistent.......if its vermin i'm shooting its dead... :yes::D

Ive got a Browning maxus on order I pick up next week and its adjustable so Ill c how I get on with that and if I cant get that shooting well again then I know its me, and Ill just put some hours in on the clays again sharpen me up a bit.

But sometimes Ive read a few articles about guns shooting high but that shouldnt be a problem as I know for example some Blazer F3s are set up to shoot high as your not blanking out your sight picture with some shots like you do with a flat shooting guns, I like a gun to shoot a bit high but not silly high.

I just dont know with this Berreta ive got, Ive shot stubble fields and puddles and it looks to shoot pretty flat to me, If it doesnt sell Ill try shiming the cheek piece, only other option is to add some length but it would be almost impossible to match this wood with owt else so I tried a slip on reciol pad but its too small and wont fit over the existing recoil pad, Im sure Ill get to the bottom of it though as its bugging the hell out of me never had a gun puzzle me like this one..

My old Guerini 14 3/4" stock.26794ac3.jpg

New Beretta 14 3/4" stock same drop at the heel dont get it. :huh:

IMG01317-20130320-2216_zps379202a2.jpg

Edited by engraver
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it might just take a few weeks before you get used to it. Even though its the same measurements as your old gun, its a different gun still. Ive quite a few guns and sometimes I find I cant hit a barn door with the same gun I was shooting 47/50 with the previous week. So I pick up one of my other guns and im fine. Its a strange thing, I used to get the same problem when I played snooker or pool. Some days I couldnt pot a thing, so it just use another one of my cues and id be fine.

Either way, its still really infuriating.

• 2 months later...

It makes me giggle that because people buy the more expensive guns, beretta, browning etc they think it will make them a better shooter, it doesn't. As mentioned above, its your personal ability, yes some factors can make you shoot worse, like the gun not fitting you, maybe a higher rib etc. But its mainly down to the man behind the gun, your gun could cost £10 or £10,000, doesn't mean you'll shoot better with the £10k one rather than the £10 one. Just get out with the gun more, get used to it, if nothing happens, get rid of it and look for another! That wood on the beretta is very nice indeed, can see why your having dilemmas parting with it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say find a brand you shoot well and stick with it. Clay shooting is all about consistency.

You're not doing yourself any favours keep switching between brands as they all have very different balances so you're changing the playing field everytime you buy a gun and having to re-learn what you were doing before.

To give an analogy, Its like buying a front wheel drive car and getting used to its handling around a race track and then swopping for a rear wheel drive car and expecting to go out and drive round a track the same as before with exactly the same lap times. It's not going to happen as the handling has changed.

Back to guns - Browning are very neutral and well balanced, I absolutely love Browning. Beretta by comparison, have a very different balance, much more butt heavy from memory.

Some prefer Browning, some prefer the Berretta, some prefer others, but they aren't the same and your shooting needs to adapt between the different guns.

Find what suits you, buy the gun then stick with it and above all don't switch brands if you find what suits you. Upgrade within the brand as usually the handling balance is kept pretty much the same within a brand's ranges as thats what they're essentially selling, handling.

Also, make sure the gun fits!

Edited by Alsone
  • 2 weeks later...