Hit & Miss With The Moles

You may need a few strands of the bird wire. The breaking strain where teeth are involved is seriously hampered. Good gear though and versatile in its uses.

Think Something a little thicker and along the same lines.

I was thinking about 2mm stainless. If the black and white b*****ds can chew through it they are welcome to the traps!

Out of interest, how do you secure yours Moxy?

about £10 on ebay matt for 100m

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...   So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an

if you have never missed a mole in a trap , you gotta be summit special, you gonna make a mint if you share your secret

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?   Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no h

Posted Images

Jeez, I thought I was arrogant! I know, I know, I am

Probuk is so set in his ways and unwilling to learn it beggars belief.

If little green men from mars landed this evening and were asked by world leaders: “why have you come here little green men?”

They would respond in unison voice:

“We have come to educate probuk (fart gun genie) to the errors of his ways, as he knows not what he doos”
“The good people of the shires (we have viewed the lord of the rings communications) have tried in vain to teach him right from wrong but he won’t listen. We are here to make him listen, or, we will smash him to bits with our little metal tools”

Still probuk would not listen, so ended up as smash alongside a couple of bangers and peas.

You have been warned people…

1 to beam up scotty…

P.S Matt, the arrangment was: you break em, you buy em :laugh:

Edited by John Keswick
  • Like 1

I don't have easy access to SS wire. Thicker than the plastic coated bird wire. So I'm limited to 3-4 mm galv rope with alley crimps. Teathered to a length of rebar.

Purpose made griplocks and wire work too but a bit fiddly releasing them with cold fingers. Ideal though for cage traps and can serve a few purposes with squirrel cages. You can secure the cage with something chew proof especially to trees and they are fairly theft resistant.

:laugh: @ JK......

Yep, I guess that will be 9 in my box when your visitor ever arrives......

Anyway, I happen to have a roll of nice shiney bird wire (the 2mm rope) here. I've just popped up to the stores to check. I've got wire, I've got crimps, I just need to decide on the anchors now.

I was thinking of something simple and retrievable. Any ideas? Ideally I'd like to be able to chuck them in the buckets along with the traps without adding too much weight or bulk. Pogos maybe? Any suggestions or links to suppliers gratefully received trappers.

Thanks for that Earthy. I've ordered a copy.

Please give us poor elderly folk, an honest account of the contents,..if it is educational,.I shall start saving for a copy. :yes:

Many thanks,.Chalkwarren..

My copy arrived today.

I read it while I munched my lunch in a layby. Yes, it is that brief.

I think it's clearly aimed at the complete novice, and gives clear and concise instruction in the use of Talpex style traps and the Duffus.

Lots of B&W photos, and some bollocks, but then I suppose that's par for the course these days.

I'm a sucker for any mole related media, but I'm afraid it's not a book I would recommend to anyone with any experience of mole trapping.

Not sure about the mentality of some folks wanting to educate their potential clients in the art of Wanting. I'm sure there is a market for it, but why would you do yourself out of work? Not the best business plan long term.

Many thanks for your most useful and erudite appraisal, of the mole catching booklet,...it is much appreciated. :thumbs:

Jeez, I thought I was arrogant! I know, I know, I amProbuk is so set in his ways and unwilling to learn it beggars belief.If little green men from mars landed this evening and were asked by world leaders: “why have you come here little green men?”They would respond in unison voice:“We have come to educate probuk (fart gun genie) to the errors of his ways, as he knows not what he doos”“The good people of the shires (we have viewed the lord of the rings communications) have tried in vain to teach him right from wrong but he won’t listen. We are here to make him listen, or, we will smash him to bits with our little metal tools”Still probuk would not listen, so ended up as smash alongside a couple of bangers and peas.You have been warned people…1 to beam up scotty… P.S Matt, the arrangment was: you break em, you buy em :laugh:

Very nice story..loved readng that John lol...il be on the lookout for the little green men. But i swear il shoot them with my popgun.

Don't get too confident in the bird wire Matt. I have had it chewed and broken.

Interesting Moxy, thanks.

I'm thinking that there is only so much you can do. If the buggers chew through the cable I've got here, then I think I'll just have to let them.

We have humbugs here, lots of them too. i don't lose too many traps, but when I do, they are not far away. I now tie red/white tape to them so when brock makes off with them, they are easily seen.

I normally have a quick squint around Itchy, and often find the odd one.

To be honest, I spent more time looking for this particular trap today (over an hour) than I would normally; mainly because it was only on loan :icon_redface: and the guy I lent it from can by a right tyrant at times and may cut my tea and biscuit allowance the next time I'm brave enough to visit him.

Loosing a good Duffus that you've spent some time tuning up is bad enough. Loosing a good Talpa that you've borrowed from someone else is nothing short of infuriating; especially when you know it had a mole in it. There were two lovely hoofprints right next to the marker pin and no sign of the trap anywhere.

Edited by Matt the Rat
  • Like 1

Lol. Matt don't give in so easily. Just put your hand in your pocket you tight old sod!!

I will post a pic of what I use( when I take one).

But again these are only used when I'm sure old Brock is about. Traps still go missing and I'm not going to tie everything I have down. So losses are inevitable.

Photo would be much appreciated Moxy.

As you say, I don't think that every trap will need 'bolting down' on every job; the Talpex type seem to be more vulnerable to theft than the Duffus, so I'm thinking that on badger infested farm jobs (that's pretty much all farm jobs down here) I may try and protect them a bit more. I've had some reasonable results with the few I've tried out so far, so I think that a dozen or so Talpa traps will be a useful addition to the armoury when dealing with those awkward moles that think a Duffus trap is just something to be stuffed full of soil.