Hit & Miss With The Moles

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...   So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an

if you have never missed a mole in a trap , you gotta be summit special, you gonna make a mint if you share your secret

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?   Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no h

Posted Images

I dont want your advice, look in my profile and find just one single post of me asking advice...You wont find one. Maybe that tells you somthing...I dont need it :thumbs:

All the bullshit aside. If I was to be trapping so close to that set with talpex type traps. Cheap or premium, I would be teathering them down.
The financial value of the trap loss and the inconvenience of having to replace the trap would over time do my head in.
A simple bit of modding and that trap would only travel the length of wire it's attached to.

Oh im Soooo sorry lol and maybe you might have got a chain and padlocked it to the closest gate :laugh: ...and maybe this and maybe that :whistling:

Well I was going to offer some friendly advice and a tip. But now forget it.

That's what sets us appart.

Done with wasting my time.

All the Probuck (Walt) bollocks on one side; would you fecking believe it, I lost a Talpa trap today complete with mole......

Another £20 odd quid gone thanks to the black and white vermin.

Oh, and the nearest sett was about 350 yards away. Had a good look around the hedges and even checked the sett out to see if I could find the trap and no luck.

Walt can you settle this once and for all; are you a pest controller or just a hobbyist vermin controller? Or are you just a dreamer?

If you are a hobbyist, why do you keep telling us all about the 'jobs' that you get? Do you charge for your services? If so, I presume you have insurance and pay your tax like the rest of us?

Now is your chance to put the record straight.

Mod them and tie them down Matt. Not ideal but can save you the cost of the trap.

Yep, I think that's the way to go.

I've only got a few; a good mate loaned them to me to try out where the old duffus gets blocked. I've always just reset the trap and maybe added another when this has happened in the past, but I'm open to new ideas and thought I'd give them a try.

As it happens, this was a job that I really should have pulled out of a few days ago. Went back on Tuesday, and the client pointed out some fresh activity on the edge of a disused railway embankment It was fecking freezing at the time, and I just whacked a couple of traps in. The Talpa just happened to be on top of the pile so went in first........

Anyway, as you say, I'm now thinking that where I use these excellent little traps in future they will be fixed down with a bit of birdwire and a bullet anchor. I don't know which is worse: loosing a trap, or loosing the revenue from the mole that was in it.

I've got 10 Talpas on order, so I can see them all having a length of wire attached before I use them with the amount of billies in this area.

You may need a few strands of the bird wire. The breaking strain where teeth are involved is seriously hampered. Good gear though and versatile in its uses.

Think Something a little thicker and along the same lines.

Thanks for that Earthy. I've ordered a copy.

Please give us poor elderly folk, an honest account of the contents,..if it is educational,.I shall start saving for a copy. :yes:

Many thanks,.Chalkwarren..

My copy arrived today.

I read it while I munched my lunch in a layby. Yes, it is that brief.

I think it's clearly aimed at the complete novice, and gives clear and concise instruction in the use of Talpex style traps and the Duffus.

Lots of B&W photos, and some bollocks, but then I suppose that's par for the course these days.

I'm a sucker for any mole related media, but I'm afraid it's not a book I would recommend to anyone with any experience of mole trapping.

Not sure about the mentality of some folks wanting to educate their potential clients in the art of Wanting. I'm sure there is a market for it, but why would you do yourself out of work? Not the best business plan long term.

You may need a few strands of the bird wire. The breaking strain where teeth are involved is seriously hampered. Good gear though and versatile in its uses.

Think Something a little thicker and along the same lines.

I was thinking about 2mm stainless. If the black and white b*****ds can chew through it they are welcome to the traps!

Out of interest, how do you secure yours Moxy?