Hit & Miss With The Moles

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...   So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an

if you have never missed a mole in a trap , you gotta be summit special, you gonna make a mint if you share your secret

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?   Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no h

Posted Images

Probuk.....This forum was doing alright until you came along, please, please, please stop polluting it with your drivel, you're discouraging people with knowledge posting. Go play somewhere else in the www.....cheers.

• Like 2

My biggest loss of traps is the public. Some sites I work I have to be super covert and have a good memory. Count the traps in and out.

One of my farms old broc regularly dig up my traps but only in a certain area. I find the typical signs of turf routing and the trap a few yards down the hill.

Rabbits cause me more bother than anything else. More so in deep set runs. They find the lure of a freshly cut hole irresistible and start to scrape around it. Sometimes digging them up or just setting the trap off.

I have never used cheap traps but have often checked them out at the local agri suppliers. Some of the traps they get in are just shocking. But they do sell them and in quantities!!

A golf course where I had a load of traps go missing we're kind enough to replace them. I still have them hung up in the shed. Unused and dusty. Substandard would be an understatement.

I have never used markers,i feel it gives the game away, LOL .Although, im not setting the large amounts,that some are.So i work a system similar,to what you were saying.

Another thing is..theres alot of foxes and badgerd around the farms i look after and recently iv lost 5 traps, the most recent was this morning when i went to empty them. When i lose a trap im losing £2 but if you lose a trap whats it cost you? Ive had 40+ moles this week and im very much quids in still.

I agree, badgers and foxes will sometimes, carry mole traps off.

When you are running a good few hundred traps its essential you know where they all are. And if you have some acreage to cover it makes spotting them that much easier off the bike.

I won't mark next to footpaths or on sites such as schools and definitely not on the golf courses. Even roadside fields can be a no no.

• Like 2

looked on ratbait today to order some talpex and their duffus traps seem cheap

has anyone used them ?

I wouldnt recommend you buy them.Its the procter barrel trap.I bought some to try,and was disappointed.They were not fit for purpose !

thanks mate just the talpex from there them

looked on ratbait today to order some talpex and their duffus traps seem cheap

has anyone used them ?

I wouldnt recommend you buy them.Its the procter barrel trap.I bought some to try,and was disappointed.They were not fit for purpose !

thanks mate just the talpex from there them

Yes,they supply ' genuine' talpex and trapline.

Thanks for that Earthy. I've ordered a copy.

Please give us poor elderly folk, an honest account of the contents,..if it is educational,.I shall start saving for a copy. :yes:

Many thanks,.Chalkwarren..

My copy arrived today.

I read it while I munched my lunch in a layby. Yes, it is that brief.

I think it's clearly aimed at the complete novice, and gives clear and concise instruction in the use of Talpex style traps and the Duffus.

Lots of B&W photos, and some bollocks, but then I suppose that's par for the course these days.

I'm a sucker for any mole related media, but I'm afraid it's not a book I would recommend to anyone with any experience of mole trapping.

Not sure about the mentality of some folks wanting to educate their potential clients in the art of Wanting. I'm sure there is a market for it, but why would you do yourself out of work? Not the best business plan long term.

Many thanks for your most useful and erudite appraisal, of the mole catching booklet,...it is much appreciated. :thumbs:

Thanks for that Earthy. I've ordered a copy.

Please give us poor elderly folk, an honest account of the contents,..if it is educational,.I shall start saving for a copy. :yes:

Many thanks,.Chalkwarren..

My copy arrived today.

I read it while I munched my lunch in a layby. Yes, it is that brief.

I think it's clearly aimed at the complete novice, and gives clear and concise instruction in the use of Talpex style traps and the Duffus.

Lots of B&W photos, and some bollocks, but then I suppose that's par for the course these days.

I'm a sucker for any mole related media, but I'm afraid it's not a book I would recommend to anyone with any experience of mole trapping.

Not sure about the mentality of some folks wanting to educate their potential clients in the art of Wanting. I'm sure there is a market for it, but why would you do yourself out of work? Not the best business plan long term.

Many thanks for your most useful and erudite appraisal, of the mole catching booklet,...it is much appreciated. :thumbs:

" Not sure about the mentality of some folks wanting to educate their potential clients in the art of wanting. Im sure there is a market for it, but why would you do yourself out of work? Not the best business plan long term " Thats a good point you make there, Matt. Thats what annoys me about " Molecatchers register ",they make out its for mole catchers, but they are also more than happy to train your customers up, as well !! Maybe they think we are all half-wits, but its actually themselves,in that respect.......he-he

• Like 1

" Not sure about the mentality of some folks wanting to educate their potential clients in the art of wanting. Im sure there is a market for it, but why would you do yourself out of work? Not the best business plan long term " Thats a good point you make there, Matt. Thats what annoys me about " Molecatchers register ",they make out its for mole catchers, but they are also more than happy to train your customers up, as well !! Maybe they think we are all half-wits, but its actually themselves,in that respect.......he-he

Good point, I remember before the city & guilds gassing courses, I attended the safe use of aluminium phosphide course.

Travelled 3 hours away and would you believe there was a chap sat next to me who lived less than 10 miles from my door. When I asked what he did for a living, he said he was a property developer..... Had a rabbit problem on one of his renovations - and would have called me to do the job had he known about my business beforehand.

So not just the mole catchers doing genuine pest & vermin control businesses out of work. No wonder it's tough out there!

Edited by ekpestcontrol

:yes:It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...

So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an already overcrowded profession ......

IE.....

"Don't tell nobody anything,..just keep your head down, do your own thing,..and keep fecking stoom" :thumbs:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 5

:yes:It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...

So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an already overcrowded profession ......

IE.....

"Don't tell nobody anything,..just keep your head down, do your own thing,..and keep fecking stoom" :thumbs:

correct . :thumbs: