Hit & Miss With The Moles

What about Jeff Nichols latest offering, whats it called ' a year of wanting ' anyone indulged ?

I was taught how to catch moles by Jeff Nichols, and have not looked back since. This year has been one of the best years so far for catching moles so bring on the wet weather as the moles love it.
I have a certain amount of respect for him.He done his bit, as far as the demise of strychnine, was concerned.

Jeff Nichols is now known as the leading light within the mole catching ( not killing ) community, he is well known as a knowlegable and respected professional.

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?

Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no hope for either Strychnine or Cymag.

At the next meeting, it was announced that the Cheqs had got the 'essential use' exemption for Cymag.

The British have this nasty habit of not just rolling over, but offering to take it up the arse at the same time.

What would you rather strychnine or traps? where is the money made. Is it down to politics or finances

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...   So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an

if you have never missed a mole in a trap , you gotta be summit special, you gonna make a mint if you share your secret

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?   Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no h

Posted Images

It was a foregone conclusion Earthy.

Without the funding from T&R, and with no patent to protect their investment, it was going nowhere.

Cymag on the other hand just needed some new packaging and a company with balls, and it had a chance.

Like all Euro legislation, the French seem to ignore it, the Italians do what they have always done, and we bend over and take it. Just look at what is going on with SGAR's now. The NGO are fighting off the ridiculous proposals for tighter controls while the BPCA and NPTA just roll over and criticise others for fighting.

How the pest control world has changed....

Matt, thanks for the info,although i find it all interesting,some of it is way above my head. he-he Youll appreciate im just a humble mole catcher ! LOL

Going back to the start subject. Buy yourself a few flat pack mole trap barrels.

Tune the triggers a little (they will put instructions in box)

These traps are the best barrels you can get imho.

I love mole catching and use a lot of different traps including Talpex Trapline Nomole Fenn and Duffas

My first choice is duffas or Talpex

• Like 1

I`ve been catching moles for a good few years and have gone through a good few companys searching for the golden trap, all of my avenues have led me to the flatpack, their Duffas traps are of a high quality and rightly so a high catch rate.

For my awkward moles I use the traplines which are ideal for sandy soils ( golf courses ) where moles tend to be more sensitive to the traps.

Going back to the start subject. Buy yourself a few flat pack mole trap barrels.
Tune the triggers a little (they will put instructions in box),

I love mole catching and use a lot of different traps including Talpex Trapline Nomole Fenn and Duffas

You've obviously not been keeping up. It is rubbish to suggest that you need expensive traps. Cheap Chinese traps are just as good. It's all in how you place your trap. ;)

You've obviously not been keeping up. It is rubbish to suggest that you need expensive traps. Cheap Chinese traps are just as good. It's all in how you place your trap. ;)

each to there own - if you want a trap to last a while then you have to put your hands in your pocket and and pay for it - if your looking at buying a cheap trap then you no the score - and yes you are right about putting a trap in the right place .

Thats what i thought until Matt the Rat and others talked me into trying some. Cheap traps are shite.

Love it, nothing like an exchange of tricks and tips to get the local window cleaners nicking your mole work!

Too true, but there's more to it than reading books etc eh?

I have been to loads of customers who have had people charge x amount - sometimes over £100 and not caught even one mole.

This is the thing though..i dont let people talk me into anything..i go by own experiance..ive had 41 moles this week using cheap trap. Ive had most the traps for two seasons and there as good as the day i bought them. Each to there own at the end of the day. By the way the traps are still being sold on ebay and there selling in the hundreds and keep getting relisted...so somebodys buying them and i doubt its the antis buying them so mole catchers cant kill moles with them.

It's gardeners and householders buying them Probuck.

I reckon my Astravan would probably go round the Monaco grand prix circuit, but I wouldn't recommend it to Jenson Button as a feasible option for F1.

• Like 1

Thats what i thought until Matt the Rat and others talked me into trying some. Cheap traps are shite.

I totally agree. I must be doing something wrong because my expensive traps keep getting clogged up - with moles ;)

TwoMole2_zps17e22fed.jpg

Oh right...and i take it you know these gardeners on a personal basis Matt?

Funny because ive spoke to 3 lads over recent weeks that trap moles and there using cheap talpex types aswell. One of them is a pest contoler aswell. Its ok coming out with silly comments Matt but its reality that matters. You must be making a few bob promoting these expencive traps lol.

Another thing is..theres alot of foxes and badgerd around the farms i look after and recently iv lost 5 traps, the most recent was this morning when i went to empty them. When i lose a trap im losing £2 but if you lose a trap whats it cost you? Ive had 40+ moles this week and im very much quids in still.