Hit & Miss With The Moles

Tell us more Earthy............

The best work I've read on the subject was by Arthur Randal. An expensive book these days, but a valuable addition to the bookshelf of any molecatcher.

I got loaned that book once Matt,and it is a fascinating account , about what it was like to be a mole catcher, in the old days.You have to admire them making their own traps by hand,and using a length of willow ( i think !) as a spring for it.

Edited by earth-thrower

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...   So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an

if you have never missed a mole in a trap , you gotta be summit special, you gonna make a mint if you share your secret

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?   Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no h

Posted Images

Thanks for that Earthy. I've ordered a copy.

Please give us poor elderly folk, an honest account of the contents,..if it is educational,.I shall start saving for a copy. :yes:

Many thanks,.Chalkwarren..

Yes Chalkwarren, I pondered this myself,whether there will be anything new,or just more of the same.........

What about Jeff Nichols latest offering, whats it called ' a year of wanting ' anyone indulged ?

I was taught how to catch moles by Jeff Nichols, and have not looked back since. This year has been one of the best years so far for catching moles so bring on the wet weather as the moles love it.

What about Jeff Nichols latest offering, whats it called ' a year of wanting ' anyone indulged ?

I was taught how to catch moles by Jeff Nichols, and have not looked back since. This year has been one of the best years so far for catching moles so bring on the wet weather as the moles love it.
I have a certain amount of respect for him.He done his bit, as far as the demise of strychnine, was concerned.

He did nothing to help or hinder the withdrawal of Strychnine.

It was withdrawn because there was no patent on it, and to put it through the Biocides directive would have cost at least 250,000 Euros. The importer (Thornton & Ross) only sold £20k worth each year, so they decided not to support it as a product.

Jeff knows his stuff, but I fail to see what good he's done for the world of molecatching. He's been running off to politicians to get restrictions placed on the job, so in fact, as far as I'm concerned, he's done more harm than good.

That and spreading this myth that traditional molecatchers are dying out so that he can sell training days mean that I'm not exactly a fan.

I have a certain amount of respect for him.He done his bit, as far as the demise of strychnine, was concerned.

Jeff Nichols is now known as the leading light within the mole catching ( not killing ) community, he is well known as a knowlegable and respected professional.

It was withdrawn because there was no patent on it, and to put it through the Biocides directive would have cost at least 250,000 Euros. The importer (Thornton & Ross) only sold £20k worth each year, so they decided not to support it as a product.

Jeff knows his stuff, but I fail to see what good he's done for the world of molecatching. He's been running off to politicians to get restrictions placed on the job, so in fact, as far as I'm concerned, he's done more harm than good.

That and spreading this myth that traditional molecatchers are dying out so that he can sell training days mean that I'm not exactly a fan.

The reason that Strychnine was withdrawn was not down to finances it was due to the fact that strychnine was so potent it would move up through the food chain and keep on killing.

" He did nothing to help or hinder the withdrawal of strychnine " When the BPCA (or some other body) tried to get it retained under " essential use " status, the relevant dept at the european commission,invited comments from interested parties/individuals.Jeff,along with myself, and the PAN group, and possibly one or two others, submitted our arguments about why it shouldnt be retained.I think more argued for it though.I remember Jeffs reply being comprehensive ( unlike my own ha-ha ) In the end the commision decided,the case wasnt proven........this is all i meant........... " It was withdrawn because there was no patent on it,and to put it through the biocides directive would have cost at least 250,000 Euros.The importer (Thornton& Ross) only sold £20k orth each year,so they decided not to support it as a product. " .............. Yes Matt, your absolutely correct on that.

Yes , the last parts make alot of sense........

Jeff Nichols is now known as the leading light within the mole catching ( not killing ) community, he is well known as a knowlegable and respected professional.

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?

Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no hope for either Strychnine or Cymag.

At the next meeting, it was announced that the Cheqs had got the 'essential use' exemption for Cymag.

The British have this nasty habit of not just rolling over, but offering to take it up the arse at the same time.

• Like 2

" He did nothing to help or hinder the withdrawal of strychnine " When the BPCA (or some other body) tried to get it retained under " essential use " status, the relevant dept at the european commission,invited comments from interested parties/individuals.Jeff,along with myself, and the PAN group, and possibly one or two others, submitted our arguments about why it shouldnt be retained.I think more argued for it though.I remember Jeffs reply being comprehensive ( unlike my own ha-ha ) In the end the commision decided,the case wasnt proven........this is all i meant........... " It was withdrawn because there was no patent on it,and to put it through the biocides directive would have cost at least 250,000 Euros.The importer (Thornton& Ross) only sold £20k orth each year,so they decided not to support it as a product. " .............. Yes Matt, your absolutely correct on that.

If i remember correctly somebody from Rentokil,also argued against its retention.I wonder why ? ha-ha.

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?

Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no hope for either Strychnine or Cymag.

At the next meeting, it was announced that the Cheqs had got the 'essential use' exemption for Cymag.

The British have this nasty habit of not just rolling over, but offering to take it up the arse at the same time.

" who told you that Snakey ? Jeff by any chance ?" ho-ho.

It was a foregone conclusion Earthy.

Without the funding from T&R, and with no patent to protect their investment, it was going nowhere.

Cymag on the other hand just needed some new packaging and a company with balls, and it had a chance.

Like all Euro legislation, the French seem to ignore it, the Italians do what they have always done, and we bend over and take it. Just look at what is going on with SGAR's now. The NGO are fighting off the ridiculous proposals for tighter controls while the BPCA and NPTA just roll over and criticise others for fighting.

How the pest control world has changed....