Aa S400 Classic .17 For Rabbits?

Well my farther in law very kindly gave me his AA S400 Classic today as he has really got into pistol shooting and has only ever shot targets. He brought the gun a couple of years ago for field target but never really took to it.

Personally I have no interest in paper targets apart from zeroing in and maybe to relieve a bit of boredom. I normally shoot a BSA Lightening .22 and have wanted something a bit smoother for a long time. I would like to know if any of you out there use the AA in .17 on rabbits and how you find it for a clean kill. Im have only ever used .22 and though Im sure the.17 will do the job I just wanted to hear opinions on it performance on rabbits.

I must add I felt a little guilty driving away with his gun in my car, I didn't even try to resist, it really is in mint condition and a beautiful gun. I have put a few pellets through it in the house which if I open all the doors gives me just under 20 yards and I couldn't wait to take it out tomorrow. All I can say is wow, what a difference! It just need a moderator on it and a smaller scope because the one it has is far to big and heavy for me to lug around a field.

i had an s410k cracking guns :)

as for .177 you need to be a bit more accurate with your shot placement, you can get away with a bit more with .22 because of the bigger round delivering more kinetic energy, more stopping power. but the s400 is amazingly accurate, so shots to the brain at sensible ranges should be easy to achieve :)

i think hunting with .177 is fine, some may disagree, but if the pellet hits the right spot then the rabbit dies. simple.

dont forget some pics when you have a new scope on it ;)

all the best, SKoT

• Like 1

i use my s400 classic in 177 flavour and its absolutley spot on. i use jsb exacts 4.52 and when it hits a rabbit in the kill zone its dead. ive added a rowan mag conversion for £60 and its worth every penny.i managed without the mag but its so much easier than loading fiddly 177 s in the dark. i use mine for targets and can hit tic tacs at 35yds every shot,i cant rate the rifle enough. let us know how you get on

• Like 1

i use my s400 classic in 177 flavour and its absolutley spot on. i use jsb exacts 4.52 and when it hits a rabbit in the kill zone its dead. ive added a rowan mag conversion for £60 and its worth every penny.i managed without the mag but its so much easier than loading fiddly 177 s in the dark. i use mine for targets and can hit tic tacs at 35yds every shot,i cant rate the rifle enough. let us know how you get on

I was wondering if you could get a mag for it so thats good new, I did find loading it a bit fiddly and thought it could be a problem in the dark. I am looking forward to the added accuracy to. Can anyone shed any light on how far out you can take a killing shot to?

I was wondering if you could get a mag for it so thats good new, I did find loading it a bit fiddly and thought it could be a problem in the dark. I am looking forward to the added accuracy to. Can anyone shed any light on how far out you can take a killing shot to?

set a 2p coin up at different ranges.. if you cant hit it 5/5 times then thats too far for you to be shooting.

it might be 30, 40, 45 50 55 60 yards... depends on your skill mate.

set a 2p coin up at different ranges.. if you cant hit it 5/5 times then thats too far for you to be shooting.

it might be 30, 40, 45 50 55 60 yards... depends on your skill mate.

Good idea that! Common sense to when I think about it :wallbash:

I have had a s410 .177 for a good few year's now i have shot no end of species with over the year's and i have had no different result's in dropping stuff as i would in a .22 version.

im not sure if you know yet but airarms say fill to 190,but after trying mine out over a period of time ive found that if i fill to 160 its bang on the sweet spot and is good for about 70 shots before it drops off.itll be bang on down to about 90 but i tend to fill it when it gets to 100.atb jason