Advice And Help To Get Started With Raw Feeding

hi im looking to put my 2 dogs onto a raw diet , ive been looking online for info but if any one can point me in the direction of a good guide that would be good

ive read that i should be aiming for 70% meat and 30% veg is this correct

i now there is a supplier of frozen minced chicken carcase local so my plan is to get a load of suitable veg chopped and mix in a little minced beef and bag it up into daily portions for the 2 dogs and then adding the minced chicken on the day of feeding .

so the bulk of the meat, bone, and veg will come from the daily feed mix mentioned above , and then i will supplement this daily diet thro the week with some offal, egg, meaty bones , fish etc as and when available

does that sound like it would be ok ?

are there any kibbles or mixers that are worth adding here and there ?

Sounds like you don't need much in the way of advice mate - you've got it all sussed by the sounds of it, vary it and keep it appetising...and it'll all be good. I feed veg but not every day...I feed a lot of meat on the bone, necks, ribs etc, pasta, brown bread and oily fish...chicken, tripe, beef, lamb, rabbits and venison and I use Gain, Red Mills or Chudley's Greyhound...take care... :thumbs:

Sounds good. I found one of mine a little fussy with some bits of the raw initially - and I then cooked it ( let it go cold obviously ) and each time would cook it less and less, to the point where he would eat it raw. I don't tend to add dry ( nothing the matter with adding it, mine just are not fussed, and happy with raw ) but I keep a few tins of chappie in the cupboard for emergency meals if I forget to defrost anything.

Sounds good. I found one of mine a little fussy with some bits of the raw initially - and I then cooked it ( let it go cold obviously ) and each time would cook it less and less, to the point where he would eat it raw. I don't tend to add dry ( nothing the matter with adding it, mine just are not fussed, and happy with raw ) but I keep a few tins of chappie in the cupboard for emergency meals if I forget to defrost anything.

when you feed the dry food is it dry food only that meal or do you mix wet and dry in the same meal ? i read some where that it isnt good to mix it but i dont now if thats correct

Wouldn't feed Chappie at all - better with a few tins of sardines/mackerel - with pasta/bread/veg.... :thumbs: I mix the complete in with the raw/veg/pasta etc... :thumbs:

>when you feed the dry food is it dry food only that meal or do you mix wet and dry in the same meal ? i read some where that it isnt good to mix it but i dont now if thats correct

Wouldn't feed Chappie at all - better with a few tins of sardines/mackerel - with pasta/bread/veg.... :thumbs: I mix the complete in with the raw/veg/pasta etc... :thumbs:

They have fish and oily fish tins, pasta etc normally anyway, but for the odd day when I have had a blonde moment and not taken stuff out of the freezer, 3 large tins of chappie fills a gap in 5 lurchers - is cheap, easily stored, and just for emergencies !

>when you feed the dry food is it dry food only that meal or do you mix wet and dry in the same meal ? i read some where that it isnt good to mix it but i dont now if thats correct

They have fish and oily fish tins, pasta etc normally anyway, but for the odd day when I have had a blonde moment and not taken stuff out of the freezer, 3 large tins of chappie fills a gap in 5 lurchers - is cheap, easily stored, and just for emergencies !

Fair comment :thumbs: Blonde moment :laugh:

• Like 1

If your going for an entirely raw diet then you need to feed some bones for the dog to chew on, one of the benefits of a raw diet is it keeps their teeth clean (preventing gum disease and other ailments) which you won't get when feeding mince.

just been and got a load of the frozen minced carcase , they also do bags of frozen beef bones and full carcases there so i think i will be able to get all the meat and bone i need from them , just supplement with a little veg , egg and fish thro the week i hope

just be carefull not to cook any bones as cooked bones go brittle and can cause bowel injury over 200quid to find this one out. suppose to be ok fresh decent size bones. dont know how true but thats what vet told me. i fed huskys and it was about 3% body weight of meat and bone 70 - 30 there abouts veg veg being added after that some dogs little more some less but you will very quickly find the correct amount. oh and i would give mackeral once a week 1 whole

Edited by lor123
  • 4 weeks later...

Was just wondering when people say they feed fish is it just the tinned stuff or will some dogs eat a whole raw fish,and what kind would you feed them

I have fed allsorts of fish including conger eel.

I generally feed mackerel and sprats whole, I get them in the summer and freeze them down.

From time to time I use sardines in the tin also.

• Like 1