German Wire Haired Or Smooth ?

Just an update scooby is now 20 months old and I've had an eye opener in terms of shooting over dogs he s been a joy and took to everything like a duck to water he is really shaping up well with loads of birds pointed and shot over him his retrieving is getting better as he now clued in to what's going on with him picking several running pheasants and on woodcock he is top notch just back there now from a run out with him had 7 solid points on woodcock with him producing a bird each time I shot two one of which I just wing clipped it would of put a running pheasant to shame with the dog picking it about 80 yards from where it dropped out of a thick spinny so all in all I'm chuffed with my wire haired and a second one will be next on the agenda

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just an update scooby is now 20 months old and I've had an eye opener in terms of shooting over dogs he s been a joy and took to everything like a duck to water he is really shaping up well with loads

Just been out with my wire haired vizsla around a farm I work on just after rabbit and pigeon with my son. And its just a joy to walk around a dog that does it all, pointing rabbits in hedgerows and p

Dee, I went the same way, always had spaniels mate when I was a gamekeeper but I left keepering, now im usually out covering land walked up style, and for me the pointers or setters are the better dog

Posted Images

well my second wire haired has landed an 11 week old bitch who i ve named nena she is a real wee charactor and im looking forward to training and hunting over her in the future plus for 11 weeks she is huge with a big set of feet plenty of bone and well up on her leg so fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

I have to confess I don't know a lot about the breed, but last season I had the chance to shoot over two GSP'S we also had two spaniels, a cocker and a springer ,we were hunting wide open country, hazel banks, bracken, bog, in pursuit of woodcock, excellent spaniel ground, the cocker was mine, both spaniels top class workers , you would not be embarrassed going anywhere with these spaniels, but I must confess, ( and believe me it's hard to do ) by midday both spaniels were blowing threw their - - -, the pointers were as good at 3pm as when they started, and covered 10 times the ground, class dog no doubt, would I buy one?????? Y..

Just been out with my wire haired vizsla around a farm I work on just after rabbit and pigeon with my son. And its just a joy to walk around a dog that does it all, pointing rabbits in hedgerows and partridge in wheat, sitting quiet as a lamb in the hide and then out quartering big fields.

It doesn't matter that we only got one crow my pleasure came from a young dog coming into his own

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm considering getting my first gundog as my mates lab is useless, not her fault but him not putting enough time into her. Having a dog whine all day in a hide is just too much to take. Next seaon we'll be shooting more game including big expanses of arable for partridge & loads of open rough fields, hedgerows etc for pheasant. Wondered if an HPR breed would suit me better if its also able to retrieve pigeons in a hide. Any suggestions?

having shot over spaniels all my life i ve decided to take a step into the hpr prefarably a german pointer with me leaning slightly to wards the wire haired having no experience with pointers i just like to hear some opinions from lads that do own and work them and hear some of the pro s and cons of the breed s

Dee, I went the same way, always had spaniels mate when I was a gamekeeper but I left keepering, now im usually out covering land walked up style, and for me the pointers or setters are the better dogs for that style of hunting. If its just birds and general hunting ,pointing, retiieving, any of the pointer or setter breeds will be excellent,

I went for the wirehaired, from good stock, and she has been a grand bird-dog, but I also go foxing, digging, boar hunting, whatever and she is never left in the kennel, great temperament on mine, sound with other dogs, work all day and then some. For me, the coat was the deciding factor, just prefer the wire jacket as its all spruce and gorse up by me

I would not rule out the performance bred shorthaireds, German Kurzhaar types are in the UK and Ireland though here we rarely register new stock with the German Kurzhaar (shorthaired) or Drahthaar (wirehaired) with the German working clubs.

Im happy with the choice I made for what I do, and in the future if I tried another breed it would be the English I reckon, but Im deffo sticking with the wirehaired.

DnN

• Like 1

Ach see I always post before reading the whole fecking thread haha I see you now have 2 wirehaired's, I bet you having some cracking days in the field by now mate, theres never a dull time out with a pointer, they just keep at it.

Any pics of your dogs Dee?

DnN

• 3 weeks later...

Ive seen good in all hpr at trials and in the field dont think you can go wrong with any of them aslong as you put in the ti we work gsp's under falcons and gos's and also shoot over them a friend of mines got some italian spinone and they work really well and swim stronger than my lab if any one wants gwp that rory major hes a trailing man he likes his gwp hes got decent stud dogs some times pups etc

I asked Rory major what his ultimate hpr would be and he replied a Brittany he says they just have that bit extra drive and that they miss nothing. I don't like the look of them but handsome is as handsome does as the saying goes.

As for smooth or wire I don't think it really matters ive seen both on the moor and they are demons but smooth can get the shivers

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a brilliant thread. Always really liked the look of the GWP. I work full time in grey squirrel eradication and it'd be good to have a hound about the place, always had lurchers in the past as I like multifunctional dogs. If I ever got a GWP it'd be expected to work with the gun rough shooting in pretty dense cover, stalking, fox control, standing in a gun line (I don't shoot on driven days but supervise my nephew) a bit of picking up and beating, be protective but most importantly VERY GOOD with kids and occasionally playing the piano ;-)

From what I've read about GWPs they're capable of all the above, would you fellas with GWP experience think that lot was a bit too much to ask ??