I'm over due on giving my Navara a Oil and Filters change but am a bit unsure as to what make and Thickness to use :hmm:, some say use Synthetic based or semi synthetic? some say use 10W/40 or 15W/40 and perhaps change to different thickness oils in the summer and winter? to say I'm confused is a understatement! any Info would be much appreciated :thumbs:...

Cheers

Jasper

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on lads there must be some DIY enthusiasts. I'm planning on getting all the filters and doing the oil change but I just want to make sure I use the right type and thickness...

Many Thanks

Jasper

found on net z24 engine uses 20w-50, and diesel td27 uses 15w-40. check the net for the specifaction of your wagon........all the oils listed according to the maker eg shell, moble, so just search the net mate good luck.

Just make sure that your using diesel oil in your diesel engines fella's or you'll get problems. Not being arsey just people make the mistake all the time. Castrol GTX is a petrol engine oil and GTD is the diesel engine oil. :thumbs:

Jasper,i would make sure you only use OE (genuine) filters mate,as for oil,don't bother using a fully synthetic.Best bet is to use a reasonably good quality semi synthetic for diesels,and change the oil and filters regularly.I could fill a page with oil makes,and grades,but its false economy using very cheap,or very expensive oils.HTH's,Bill :thumbs:

Just make sure that your using diesel oil in your diesel engines fella's or you'll get problems. Not being arsey just people make the mistake all the time. Castrol GTX is a petrol engine oil and GTD is the diesel engine oil. :thumbs:

Many thanks for that Info!! you can gurantee I would have brought the wrong oil and shagged the engine :whistling:.

There's Garage near here that does all the filters but I don't know if they gennuine or patten one's, there's also a guy on Ebay selling the complete set in the link below but I don't want to skimp and save if I'm going to make problems for myself :hmm:...

Cheers again all for the info :toast:

Jasper http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=017

Won't shagg it you may get problems with gaskets leaking as petrol engine oils don't have anything in them to reduce the acid levels that diesel combustion engines produce which can end in gaskets being damaged.

If the filters are iso spec then they are as good as the original equipment, they all only reduce particle levels down below the ISO 4406 (15/12) or NAS1638 (If they are American made) standard.

Nice one Leon much apreciated mate :thumbs:.

Just out of Interest I popped into one of the Nissan Garages who adviced me that Castrol Magnatec GTD 10W/40 would be ideal for the Navara, they also showed me a chart of other Oils to 15W/40 that they would be recomend, I'll be Honest I'm pretty confused now as there was alot of different Viscosities which are all available for this Motor but I still can't decide which one is best :hmm:, any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Jasper

I use Oviline Multifleet 10w 40 engine oil in my car and my truck I get 5 gallons for £30.

But if thats what nissan recomend then used Gastrol gtx I only use this as if I put the truck or car to the garage they will only use Oviline so do it myself and save a bob or two.

When I had a trooper I bought all the bits from milner I used to change the oil every 4500 miles and at £10 quid for a filter set you couldnt complain.

Regards highlander.

Nice one Leon much apreciated mate :thumbs:.

Just out of Interest I popped into one of the Nissan Garages who adviced me that Castrol Magnatec GTD 10W/40 would be ideal for the Navara, they also showed me a chart of other Oils to 15W/40 that they would be recomend, I'll be Honest I'm pretty confused now as there was alot of different Viscosities which are all available for this Motor but I still can't decide which one is best :hmm:, any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Jasper

GTD 10W/40 would be ideal mate, 15/40 would be a touch thick when the engines cold and may cause start up wear. 15/40 might be ideal if your in a hotter place but not in this country mate.

Ive got 3 reciepts here mate all from the Nissan garage when they serviced my vehicle.. and all the reciept's have Castrol GTX 10W/40 on them.. so im guessing that is diesel oil other wise they would not put it in mate..

Millet

Millet Castrol GTX 10/40 is petrol engine oil mate. some diesels do have petrol engine oil in them but to put a diesel engine oil in, will not do any harm.

I use Oviline Multifleet 10w 40 engine oil in my car and my truck I get 5 gallons for £30.

But if thats what nissan recomend then used Gastrol gtx I only use this as if I put the truck or car to the garage they will only use Oviline so do it myself and save a bob or two.

When I had a trooper I bought all the bits from milner I used to change the oil every 4500 miles and at £10 quid for a filter set you couldnt complain.

Regards highlander.

Multifleet is a monograde engine oil which makes it suitable for both petrol and diesels. It would be o.k but the Castrol stuff is better!! :tongue2: not that I am biassed in any way B)

GTD 10W/40 would be ideal mate, 15/40 would be a touch thick when the engines cold and may cause start up wear. 15/40 might be ideal if your in a hotter place but not in this country mate.

Top Bombing Leon. Castrol GTD 10W/40 it will be then :thumbs:.....

Cheers

Jasper