Strange occurance

Guest Nov

Was out mooching with the dog earlier, didn't see much and the reason became apparent when this young chap comes out of the bushes. He saw that I was with a lurcher and asked if I was rabbiting, I says I was and asked him if he was into it. He said he is and that he had just been round all the sets to set up some snares.

Anyways, the lad heads off on his motorbike and I continue to have a look in the fields. The dog is hunting up, flushed a couple of rabbits and gave chase, returning without a catch. A little later on, I hears the familiar sound of a caught rabbit, I runs over to dispatch the rabbit and congratulate the dog.

I took a couple of pics then went to pic up the rabbit, on doing this I noticed it was snared :blink: So my delight for my dogs catch turned to embarrassment. I have no idea if the dog flushed the rabbit into the snare or if the dog just reacted to the squeal and went in for an easy kill.

I left the rabbit in the snare for the lad I mentioned above, after all, his snare caught it. I took some pics too, I'll bang em up in a while.

done that a few times myself Nov.....once set some snares in my lunch break at school with about ten of my mates, stepped into the rough grass on the way out of the bramble thicket and a rabbit bolted straight into the snare!!!! another time i snared under a latted fence in a horse field, had barely turned my back when there was a scream and a rabbit was bouncing about...i remember i had knicked all the wire coat hangers to make pegs for the snares!!! lol.. used to snare some runs then walk hares into them, that was a long time ago......in fatc, we once netted a hare on a run by using a 5 foot nylon purse net.... :clapper: ..Ah, the good old days

Good luck to the lad but he hasnt got a clue how to set wires properly.You should have hung the bunny on the fence and maybe even gut it for the lad :hunter:

Your dog was really trying to retrieve that rabbit by the looks at the length of its broken neck :hunter: