Goshawks

fly any bird first if you been shown the correct bird ,a redtail is a great first bird

regarding a gos its like have a bloody job and I had one and wont ever have one again ,I was coming home from work on early shift ,dashing in the the bird then out and then get it a kill fingers cross and I found it took all the fun out of it ,if you don't work and can fly 5 times a week to have a fit gos then get a mentor and let him decide ,simplessssssssss

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been happy enough with my Harris for the last few weeks, in the future maybe I will move onto a goshawk or something else.BUT I hope I never become one of those falconers that has owned a Harris

No mate I ain't to be fair , had em as a kid sparrowhawks, kestrels always hacked back to wild or shamefully died,like many lads my age and older will of done (Barry Hines/Ken Loach got a lot too ans

What quarry are you after and how many days a week can you fly? They need answering first. As a rule, goshawks are NOT a first bird. Reading books wont prepare you for a gos no matter what anyone sa

Posted Images

methinks too many go the imprint route with gos and mess it up lol always loads of imprints for sale, personaly id go for parent reared, deffo gonna try a male this season coming, see just how hard they are or are not as the case maybe

i can see the logic of imprinting and have seen a very good male imprint fly very well indeed. however i made such a mess of my first 2 sparrowhawks through imprinting (aggresive screamers) it put me off imprints for life, mind very little was known of imprinting back then :laugh: :laugh:

the way most imprints go nowadays shows things ain't improved much despite the books what wporks for one rarely works for another lol, I like me birds to know who and what exactly they are, I like the respect and boundaries I have with my parent rears, they allow me to work with them even forgive a little now and then and too me thats really summat, imprinting just takes that away for me , although Im sure its a very rewarding expirience and yeah its something I would try maybe do it for a pal then when it screams pass it back too him lol

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 1

Fook imprint's end of..unless you have pound sign's in your eye ball's for the breeding season..but then again the pound is low these day's as everyone is trying there luck and the gos market is going the same as the harris..but the only good new's to come from this,,IS the Wild gos population in the uk will rise.. :D

• Like 1

genuine question, why does the gos get classed as game bird only? whats the problem with hunting predominately rabbits, rooks etc with the odd game bird thrown in, turning the tables so to speak? is it feather damage?

wild birds are exclusive feather hunters, years ago a mate had a wild caught female that had been injured, whilst rehabilitating it, it never once looked at fur even when offered on a plate :whistling: its only austringers birds that take to fur :thumbs:

Harrises are shite foreign bird's that can only catch bunnie's in fare law..if you want a Gos go for it but you will be sadly disapointed if you have not done your home work..if you HAVE done your home work you wont entertain another foreign bird ever again unless you want a bird that can do what a dog will.. :D

Like to see you out lamping with a gos,or hunting it from the soar :tongue2:

Got a dog for lamping bunnies.. :D ..they can go out in any weather gale force wind/rain/sleet and snow day or night :tongue2: and you don't have to worry how much they have eaten the day before.. :whistling: ..oh and you can catch a lot more with the dog and they bring them back to you.. :boogy: ..you also don't have to spend just shy of a grand on telemetry either ..apart from all that harris hawk's take some beating at the ferreting game.. ;)

Harrises are shite foreign bird's that can only catch bunnie's in fare law..if you want a Gos go for it but you will be sadly disapointed if you have not done your home work..if you HAVE done your home work you wont entertain another foreign bird ever again unless you want a bird that can do what a dog will.. :D

I lamped a female Gos no different to lamping a Harris and how many people hunt a Harris from the soar.

Mate if you want to fly a Gos learn everything you can on how to fly a gos get out with gos lads then get a gos.Makes me laugh when people say fly a Harris then get a gos I flew a couple of harrises first and it taught me nothing about flying a gos.

I lamped a female Gos no different to lamping a Harris and how many people hunt a Harris from the soar.
There will always be exceptions to the rule,but as arule a gos is not a lamping bird,and its a case of you get out what you put in,if people are happy just to fly from trees then thats fine,but a Harris can be one hell of a bird when taken to its full potential.

What quarry are you after and how many days a week can you fly? They need answering first.

As a rule, goshawks are NOT a first bird. Reading books wont prepare you for a gos no matter what anyone says.

So what bird will prepare you for a Gos Not a Harris thats for certain.