Opening A Can Of Worms, But - How Far Will A Pellet Travel?

• 3 months later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure to be honest but I know after last weekends experience on my permission that shot gun ammo travels approximately 70 acres when fired at a 45 degree angle and doesn't penetrate your clothing w

I understand your dilemma Jim, but its back to basics i'm afraid...........If you cant guarantee a safe shot........don't take it...........

haha you should of returned fire!

Posted Images

.22 h&n ftt 14.8gr will travel 443yds @ shooting angle 27.8 degrees with a terminal velocity 150ft/s and terminal energy of 0.74ft/lb

Calculations from Chairgun.

Obviously under perfect conditions with facing wind less and vice versa...rifle running @ 11.8 (600fps)...

A definitive answer? Best not to miss though :-) safety 1st....guns don't kill, people do....

My head hurts after reading this thread, i need to lie down.

If i was standing on top of a set of steps instead of the ground when i fire at angle of 63 degrees with my .177 doing 720 feet per second would i be better buying a euro lottery ticket or spending the money on a bigger set of steps to increase my shooting range or velocity :hmm::laugh:

It's all academic this thread, because given that you can lob a .22 slug about 400 whatever yards or a shade over from a 12ft/lb rifle, depending on winds, on how much elevation angle you give the barrel, who here can control that range distance with accuracy? No-one! So there's no point knowing anything more than you air rifle will lob a pellet about 410 yards on average.

Now you'll get Terry Doe wanting you all in bed by 8 o'clock for talking ranges over 35 metres!

• Like 1

Not sure to be honest but I know after last weekends experience on my permission that shot gun ammo travels approximately 70 acres when fired at a 45 degree angle and doesn't penetrate your clothing when it hits you!!!!!

Thankyou farmers son who decided to fire lead shot in my direction even though you knew I was on the permission!

It was at that point I decided to count my blessings and go home early!

Mawders

haha you should of returned fire!

Edited by fry
  • Like 3

I shot one rabbit at 65 yards using jsb exact went down as it hit the kill zone but the pellet went strait thow and hit a fence post at a another 70 yards and when i had a look at the post it had gone in at quite a depth i was suprised at the power the pellet still had atvbmac

• Like 1

It's all academic this thread, because given that you can lob a .22 slug about 400 whatever yards or a shade over from a 12ft/lb rifle, depending on winds, on how much elevation angle you give the barrel, who here can control that range distance with accuracy? No-one! So there's no point knowing anything more than you air rifle will lob a pellet about 410 yards on average.

Now you'll get Terry Doe wanting you all in bed by 8 o'clock for talking ranges over 35 metres!

In my opinion, it's not academic at all! What you've just said is exactly the point of the thread, and was the original question. It was never a thread about accuracy or how far can I shoot quarry from (Lord knows there are plenty of those threads already on here!)

Knowing how far your pellet will travel if you miss an elevated shot is essential to knowing whether or not the shot is safe. A backstop doesn't have to be a solid thing. 700 yards of secured, fenced in, part-of-the-permission empty space is a perfectly reasonable 'backstop' if your pellet will only go 400 ish yards. If you have that space then the shot is still a safe one. If you don't, it's not. Which was why I waned to know max range.

Jim

In my opinion, it's not academic at all! What you've just said is exactly the point of the thread, and was the original question. It was never a thread about accuracy or how far can I shoot quarry from (Lord knows there are plenty of those threads already on here!)

Knowing how far your pellet will travel if you miss an elevated shot is essential to knowing whether or not the shot is safe. A backstop doesn't have to be a solid thing. 700 yards of secured, fenced in, part-of-the-permission empty space is a perfectly reasonable 'backstop' if your pellet will only go 400 ish yards. If you have that space then the shot is still a safe one. If you don't, it's not. Which was why I waned to know max range.

Jim

the point of the thread is safety to others...not to buzz on stupidity.

giving it the old attitude to cover up not knowing is exactly the fuel the antis are after and why all the fuddy duddies to time in proper shooters cringe like a lemon up yu butt...

its the same as mad driving..ohhh its fun till you see the charred body of the kid you crashed into, then spend the rest of your days wishing you were dead because it turns out no matter how much you gob shite the 'who cares routine'..............yu find yu do, and if you dont, well doesnt take an age group more than 6 to 9 years old to realise...dont giv him a gun ffs!!!!

I'm not exactly sure if you're having a go at me or not there Ghillies? I surely hope not. I hope you don't think I'm ignorant, 'buzzing on stupidity' or giving any kind of attitude at all! I wasn't, and I'm certainly not trying to cover anything up.

As the person who started the thread I think I'm well qualified to state what the point of the thread is. It was a question about safety, being responsible as a shooter and trying to ascertain as much information as possible to help determine a safe shot from a not safe shot. With the sole aim of avoiding an unsafe situation, maximising safety and increasing the number of shots that could be taken by increasing my understanding of ballistics. Up to the point of asking I had not taken any elevated shots as I didn't know how far my pellet would travel if I were to miss. My permission is large and very secure, I wanted to know if my pellet would remain with my permission's boundaries. It will, so some elevated shots are safe on my permission depending on a few other factors. Some are not and I won't take them.

I take the safety of my shooting and, by extension, the safety of the public very seriously. Which is why I asked the question in the first place!

If you think me stupid for asking, then how much more stupid and irresponsible would I have been for not asking?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've misunderstood me.

Jim

I'm not exactly sure if you're having a go at me or not there Ghillies? I surely hope not. I hope you don't think I'm ignorant, 'buzzing on stupidity' or giving any kind of attitude at all! I wasn't, and I'm certainly not trying to cover anything up.

As the person who started the thread I think I'm well qualified to state what the point of the thread is. It was a question about safety, being responsible as a shooter and trying to ascertain as much information as possible to help determine a safe shot from a not safe shot. With the sole aim of avoiding an unsafe situation, maximising safety and increasing the number of shots that could be taken by increasing my understanding of ballistics. Up to the point of asking I had not taken any elevated shots as I didn't know how far my pellet would travel if I were to miss. My permission is large and very secure, I wanted to know if my pellet would remain with my permission's boundaries. It will, so some elevated shots are safe on my permission depending on a few other factors. Some are not and I won't take them.

I take the safety of my shooting and, by extension, the safety of the public very seriously. Which is why I asked the question in the first place!

If you think me stupid for asking, then how much more stupid and irresponsible would I have been for not asking?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've misunderstood me.

Jim

no not at all.. its an extreme of what n why is all.. :thumbs:

Jim

Funnily enough I was more than a bit tired when I posted the above answer at 12:03 a.m. So I should have read it in greater detail. Don't take offence Jim, none was intended! At least you now have a reasonable idea of how far your stray, lofty shot will fly unrestrained or blocked if you miss! :thumbs: