Opening A Can Of Worms, But - How Far Will A Pellet Travel?

can't find Chairgun for my Android phone, I've got Strelock though and as far as I can tell it doesn't tell you. You can set the angle of shot, but it doesn't then tell you how far it goes, just how that angle affects your aim point on the reticule.

Edited by WoodsmanJim

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure to be honest but I know after last weekends experience on my permission that shot gun ammo travels approximately 70 acres when fired at a 45 degree angle and doesn't penetrate your clothing w

I understand your dilemma Jim, but its back to basics i'm afraid...........If you cant guarantee a safe shot........don't take it...........

haha you should of returned fire!

Posted Images

Archie, your geometry is well out . 40yds out 30ft up gives an angle of 14.5 degrees . 40 yds out 60 ft up gives an angle of 27 degrees. Bull shit baffles brains but not mine. They dont call me Sherlock for nowt.

the angle would depend on the type of shot ie. a pigeon sat in a tree, if you take that shot standing the rifle will be at a lesser angle than say kneeling or lying. for standing it would also depend on the height of the person, if there was a foot difference between my shoulder and yours then you would have to angle the rifle higher than me to hit the same target

Archie, your geometry is well out . 40yds out 30ft up gives an angle of 14.5 degrees . 40 yds out 60 ft up gives an angle of 27 degrees. Bull shit baffles brains but not mine. They dont call me Sherlock for nowt.

Well, well, well Clouseau,.... Please point me to the post where I used 40 yds in my calculations..............If it was from earlier on then ...I quote " They dont call me Sherlock for nowt".....you will have deduced that Skot posted at 07:59 Pm he then decided to edit his post at 08:04Pm which was AFTER I had used his post in my reply.So my calculations for 40 feet away from the base of a tree, at ground level, aiming 60 feet up the tree are correct, it is your observations which are "well out"..................................... I think a new username which is more suitable should be considered, some thing along the lines of Frosty, Coco or Bozo, all of them famous in their own right.........................I think you get the drift.

• Like 2

Chairgun Pro does have an 'angle' box on it. They've just brought out a newer version (I don't like it as much as the older one though) and it says that my .22 FAC HW100 shooting a Bisley Magnum at 21g will go a maximum of 557yds in 10.45 seconds when fired at 29 degrees and have a retained energy figure of less than 1 ft/lb.

Just enter your gun and pellet details and then click on 'Tools' and near the bottom of the drop down list is 'Maximum Range'. It will show you distances for angles in 1, 2, 5, 10 or 15 degree increments. .

Woodsman Jim - Is this what you are looking for? Sorry if it's not but I'm not too good with all this new fangled electrikery and so don't really know the difference between each of them.

Edited by PaulEamonn

archie, first i said 40 YARDS AWAY AND 60 FEET UP, but then i thought, what tree is 60 ft tall lol... more like 40-50ft? so edited post to say 40 YARDS away and 30 FEET UP.. you know them sort of shots where you get maybe a squirrel or pigeon NEARLY at the top off a tree but not quite. normally see migpies and crows at the very tops of trees where im from.

didnt mean to start world war 3 tho .. ooops lol ;)

PaulEamonn - Aye, that's the program alright, however I can only find it available through Apple's 'AppStore' i.e. only works on Apple products (iPhone, iPad etc..)

I have a HTC phone running the Google Android operating system, and their apps all come through the Google 'Play Store'. Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs, if not hopefully it'll clear it up a bit!

With the features you describe though, it sounds perfect for answering this question!! If it's not too cheeky, could I ask you to use it to calculate an 11.0ft/lb .22 gun shooting a 16.4 grain Air Arms Diablo Field at 545fps please, and post the results at the various increments?!

Many thanks,

Jim

Edited by WoodsmanJim

the main distance you need to know is at its 'best angle' it goes further then...i've wacked woodies at over 300 yards legal limit..and yes i stopped a while back lol.

it gets to a point where you aim at it, lift off the scope, lift more..and some more then fire, lower the gun and wait for something to happen.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun.html

every one said try it, i say use it...go for it, then you'll know.

Edited by ghillies

PaulEamonn - Aye, that's the program alright, however I can only find it available through Apple's 'AppStore' i.e. only works on Apple products (iPhone, iPad etc..)

I have a HTC phone running the Google Android operating system, and their apps all come through the Google 'Play Store'. Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs, if not hopefully it'll clear it up a bit!

With the features you describe though, it sounds perfect for answering this question!! If it's not too cheeky, could I ask you to use it to calculate an 11.0ft/lb .22 gun shooting a 16.4 grain Air Arms Diablo Field at 545fps please, and post the results at the various increments?!

Many thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim

I've looked on Chairgun Pro but can't make it stick to the three parameters you've specified.

I've enter the weight at 16.4g (I'm guessing you're using Air Arms Fields in 5.52?) and 11 ft/lb but then it calculates the fps as 550. When I enter 545fps it only gives me a muzzle energy of 10.82ft/lbs.

Anyway, I've attached the table and chart for a pellet weighing 16.4g with a muzzle energy of 11ft/lb. I hope it helps.

As for the explanation of the other stuff. Don't worry - no eggs here! Just stuff flying over the top of my head and an understanding of phones that can do everything that is still as clear as mud!

Thanks for trying though. :thumbs:

post-74683-0-17938900-1362655128.jpg

post-74683-0-21271800-1362655388.jpg

Edited by PaulEamonn

Sorry Paul, looks like you've found yourself a side line in selling on your Chairgun results! :laugh::laugh:

I'd buy the program myself if it'd work on my phone.

Jim

*edit* Just seen it's free and will work on my PC (windows 7) - winner! downloading it now.

Edited by WoodsmanJim