....tally..

milo

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what tallys or kills did you finish this season with, numbers..quarry..memorable flights etc etc...its definatly not about the amout you take more the quality of flight the hawk put in is much more important for me,there is no shame in small tallys/kills !

I have read on another website that some guys are killing over 170 bunnies,phessies etc etc... now i find it hard to believe,because i know my hawk misses more than she has taken and i wont lie about it,but to take these sort of high numbers these WORLD CLASS HAWKS must have missed double what they supposed to have taken ! i just wish i had that many bunnies on my land in the first place ha ha...

I started the season with rico in oct he died in dec and he had taken 13 bunnies and a crow,the first day i hunted my female Amy was jan 5th at the min she has taken 10 without this weekend but this will be my last... so has you all read no big numbers.

I do believe i could prob take around the 40 mrk with this female ( hopefully) but to take over 170 COME ON AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG GUYS... :thumbs: CHEERS

Edited by milo

flew around 19 brown hares with gyr saker tiercel starting weight 1lb12oz finished a touch over 2lb he killed only six of the hares himself, the last being the most spectacular, I simply forgot to release the saluki ands the bird for once did not look for the dog he just flew too the hare pitched adn struck expecting the dog to arrive but the hare simply died on the spot, leaving one satisfied falcon who , was a little bemused when the saluki trotted up two mins later still on his lead, lilkely I retired him from this a little too early, but its cost him feather wise, and the hares really kicked on later this winter and would of been too strong for such a small bird, he done very well with thois and formed a good bond with the dog allowingthe dog to finish the job and not crabbing on kill, he does however claim every kill even when the dog catches ahead of him , luckily the dogs ok with that.

Tried my hand at gamehwking lol he done ok actually no kills but he sort of got the idea of waiting on for flush, again not classic falconry just good fun , lastly we did a little crow out the hood , he not especially keen, meight need a little weight drop maybe , summat Id definately like to explore more, he manged to kill one then seemed not so bothered after that, maybe the taste after living on hare meat lol

Also managed a couple of rabbits mor ebe luck than anything else, he been a grat little bird, done what I asked of him to one degree or another, Ive read they get beteter as they ,mature these hybrids so maybe more to come from him yet.........

Edited by arcticgun

My Harris only took ten head, she took her first rabbit on the 5th of Jan. I feel the reason for my own lack of success was getting a young hawk at the end of November when I had no hands on experience of flying a bird of prey. This has also been a bad year for rabbit numbers. My hawk has only recently been willing to stay in the same field as a dog which meant far less opportunities for her than one positioned above a pointer would have. I should have done more ferreting but it's never been my preferred way to hunt even when I had lurchers. For the first month I had her I was learning the basics and was far too concerned about the wind which meant I often didn't venture out on days when I'd now happily turn out knowing she isn't going to be blown away.I did lose quite a lot of days to rain and snow.

I have enjoyed it though and look forward to next season. I never ventured upto the moors with mine this season but next season will be different.I will start as soon as possible when quarry numbers should be higher and with a more experienced bird I expect some success.Lamping should swell the tally as well.

Numbers aren't everything but I will set myself the target of taking 100 head next season.Yes there will be many misses but that's part of it.If I can get her to work with the dog properly a good tally shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

I still say for me its definatley not about numbers but the style and adrenilne of the chase...

I just love to see my hawk persue her prey turrning and stooping in for the take only to have to turn again and again... just cant beat it especially when its thro woods or plantations.. ;)

Good flights are what we all want to see and numbers taken aren't the most important thing but I don't think it's an issue that can be ignored either.

I know that although I enjoyed my half season with my first hawk I didn't get it enough opportunities to regularly catch stuff.

It was a mix off things I think.

The biggest factor was not having any experience of keeping or flying a hawk.That meant I was occasionally too cautious to let it fly free sometimes due to wind,or just being worried.

She dosent like dogs,hated mine at first,but is slowly getting better.He pointed and flushed a pheasant for her last week and the next day she stayed closer to him.The seasons over so the chance to get her more flights over the dog are gone for now. Quarry has been scarce,rabbit numbers have been very low and without a dog to find what is there we struggled.

I also didn't get out onto better land which would have produced more chances as would have using ferrets.I've been happy just learning the game and seeing her fly around etc making the odd catch.

To sum up I reckon It was because i was inexperienced,the hawk was a youngster getting going at the back end of a season.She wouldn't work with a dog and rabbit numbers this season were the lowest I've ever known.We have struggled to find a rabbit out with lurchers on land we were catching 30-50 bunnies in a couple of hours a few years ago.

I'll have no excuses next season though.