Come Dawn Come Dusk. By Norman Mursell

I've just finished reading this book, for the 'umpteenth' time. I really don't have a clue as to how many times i've read it but it was bought, back in the 80's and I always re-read books I enjoy but this one has escaped me for many years.

My 3 year old daughter has a bit of a fascination with its cover, as it shows a old print of a 'Keeper', Warrener or Poacher (??) with his two dogs, a Terrier, of Russell type, a Collie type and a few caught rabbits. The Terrier looks like a little dog down the road and so she pulls it from the bookshelf constantly to look at 'Patch' and that is how I came to thumb through it again.

It's not a first edition, only a paperback and after a Google search I can't find any other cover like it. Those first editions do look good but I'll stick to the one I bought all those years ago.

The book follows Norman Mursell, a Gamekeeper and his life on the Eaton estate, home to the Dukes of Westminster and is for-worded by the current Duke.

It moves through from a child leaving home on the Isle of Wight, to take up service on the estate in Cheshire and follows his career through to becoming Head Keeper and eventual retirement after 50 years service.

The book is, in my opinion a cracking read, not just for those with an interest in Gamekeeping (from either side of the fence!) but a great account of class and wealth in the last century. A fascinating account of the Dukes of Westminster and the scale of what was involved with the running of an estate and the shoots of such size, especially between the great wars and although Mursell's opinions of all things hunting may not be to everyone's taste, his views are easily forgiven by me, as we now live in the world he had the foresight about!

He paints a great picture of the Cheshire countryside and mentions many places that can be seen and visited today and although we can appreciate counties like Cheshire for its beauty, from reading books of this type it really is a shadow of its former self!!

So it's Amazon for me next, Mursell, I have found out has written five books in total, so I better get busy with Paypal.

In a current world of books about the countryside now, take a trip back in time, pick up a copy and enjoy!

;)

I remember getting about half way through this book before it was due back to the library,that was 20 years ago now,and i'm still keen to read the rest,i've read a lot of other books since then,but from what i can remember that was as good as any,another very good read is the story of frank cullum Both sides of the fence about a poacher turned gamekeeper,not sure if still available,but worth a look,bought mine years ago,probably from tideline books

think I will do Bosun11, I see there is a 1996 edition on sale,another good book for anyone interested in coursing is The king of the poachers by j connell published in 1901,no saluki hybrids back in them days,but they still got a few for the pot

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just finished reading this book, for the 'umpteenth' time. I really don't have a clue as to how many times i've read it but it was bought, back in the 80's and I always re-read books I enjoy but this one has escaped me for many years.

My 3 year old daughter has a bit of a fascination with its cover, as it shows a old print of a 'Keeper', Warrener or Poacher (??) with his two dogs, a Terrier, of Russell type, a Collie type and a few caught rabbits. The Terrier looks like a little dog down the road and so she pulls it from the bookshelf constantly to look at 'Patch' and that is how I came to thumb through it again.

It's not a first edition, only a paperback and after a Google search I can't find any other cover like it. Those first editions do look good but I'll stick to the one I bought all those years ago.

The book follows Norman Mursell, a Gamekeeper and his life on the Eaton estate, home to the Dukes of Westminster and is for-worded by the current Duke.

It moves through from a child leaving home on the Isle of Wight, to take up service on the estate in Cheshire and follows his career through to becoming Head Keeper and eventual retirement after 50 years service.

The book is, in my opinion a cracking read, not just for those with an interest in Gamekeeping (from either side of the fence!) but a great account of class and wealth in the last century. A fascinating account of the Dukes of Westminster and the scale of what was involved with the running of an estate and the shoots of such size, especially between the great wars and although Mursell's opinions of all things hunting may not be to everyone's taste, his views are easily forgiven by me, as we now live in the world he had the foresight about!

He paints a great picture of the Cheshire countryside and mentions many places that can be seen and visited today and although we can appreciate counties like Cheshire for its beauty, from reading books of this type it really is a shadow of its former self!!

So it's Amazon for me next, Mursell, I have found out has written five books in total, so I better get busy with Paypal.

In a current world of books about the countryside now, take a trip back in time, pick up a copy and enjoy!

;)

Have a look on abe books if you have not already done so. There are quite a few copies of Forgotten skills country crafts remembered, Green and pleasant land a countryman remembers, Running a successful rough shoot prices vary from 60 odd pence to £17.00 :thumbs:

Cheers Darbo I will.

I've got a copy of Green And Pleasant Land, bought it not long after I wrote this review. I should have written another review because it's as good a read as Come Dawn, if not better. :yes:

I'd urge anyone with an interest in all things countryside past to buy either and drift back....

Oh and how good is it that L.Mursell has done a Google search and found the site.... :victory:

Cheers Darbo I will.

I've got a copy of Green And Pleasant Land, bought it not long after I wrote this review. I should have written another review because it's as good a read as Come Dawn, if not better. :yes:

I'd urge anyone with an interest in all things countryside past to buy either and drift back....

Oh and how good is it that L.Mursell has done a Google search and found the site.... :victory:

:thumbs: just ordered green and pleasant land,

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Darbo I will.

:thumbs: just ordered green and pleasant land,

Read come dawn come dusk and a green and pleasant land both cracking reads now half way through forgotten skills and country crafts remembered glad i looked at this thread. :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just thought i'd put this thred back out there and see if anyone else has read a Mursell book?

Also, Astanley has been good enough to loan me the Tovey book, The Last English Poachers (thank you Alex). First couple of chapters in it reads well, could be a good 'un this... ;)