Nimrod Attacks Fox Lampers

Paulus, in my experience the majority of shooters leave pigeons and often rabbits in the field where they were shot.......... their excuse usually being "the foxes will eat them". I used to be the sole ferreter for a 800 acre shoot local to me, they wouldn't let anybody else on and would want me down there every weekend, It was hard going on my own but I did a good job and they recognised it. I looked forward to the end of the season when I could get into the main spinneys where big bags could be had real easily. Then one day I was walking the spinneys and getting feck all from my good spots.................. I went home that day sick of finding rabbits layed in the fields with 22s in them, just left their to rot! I've not been back this year..............

I've seen the same attitude in hunting/lurchers with respect to rabbits and hares.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DanW pretty much summed up how I feel about this and time and time again I've clashed with these Warrener wannabe types on here (Riflemen and dogmen). I haven't read the article so can't comment on Ni

I stopped reading that rag when they gave space to poacher watch

But for some it is a new sport they watch a few dvd read a couple of the shooting comics and think there the f***ing warrener fact is plenty of land don't need fox control at all yet they still feel t

Posted Images

DanW pretty much summed up how I feel about this and time and time again I've clashed with these Warrener wannabe types on here (Riflemen and dogmen). I haven't read the article so can't comment on Nimrod's specific words and I am not anti-fox control even hough my main interest is hunting with hounds. If a gamekeeper controls foxes on his land that's his job and his choice about how he does the job, trapping, terriers, night shooting etc are all legal effective weapons in his armoury. If a farmer keeps losing lambs, fowls then the same thing applies he has every right to do what he chooses to protect his livelihood.

What I do disagree with and I feel strongly about it is the muppets with no real need to be out with guns or dogs killing foxes that as DanW stated don't need controlling.

How many times have I seen a post on here someone has gone out stalking and shot a cub or a brace of foxes even though their intention was to bag a deer they can't resist pulling the trigger when anything else gets in their sights why?.

People that have a bit of permission and will go out "to see what's about" why?.

There seems to be a strong feeling that that by being anti-muppet you are in fact attacking another mans sport so firstly I need to positively differentiate between legitamite pest control and warrener wannabe muppets. I am anti muppet everytime, the argument for attacking fox shooters sport stands no ground whatsoever and the irony is enough in itself but if you can't see it I will explain BY NEEDLESSLY SHOOTING FOXES YOU ARE BY YOUR OWN ACTIONS ATTACKING ANOTHER MAN SPORT (pre-ban).

I also remember a few years back the Warrener had an advert in one of the fieldsports mags where he was depicted in a "Wanted poster" claiming to be wanted by Masters of Foxhounds for shooting thousands of foxes but I guess it's alright for your hero to attempt to shoot as many foxes as he can therefore blatantly ruining sport of many others and then rubbing their noses in it.

I have friends who are keepers they shoot foxes that's fine I wish they didn't but then they probably wish I didn't do so much to preserve foxes but I would stand up for their way of life and vice versa but don't ever ask me to stand up for the needless killers, the warrener wannabe muppets they have no respect from me and no place in the countryside be it with dog or gun.

Sensible post there Leveller,..written with a passion born of experience...well done :yes:

As an aside,....I also wish you a warm welcome, to Hampshire... :thumbs:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 1

Paulus, in my experience the majority of shooters leave pigeons and often rabbits in the field where they were shot.......... their excuse usually being "the foxes will eat them". I used to be the sole ferreter for a 800 acre shoot local to me, they wouldn't let anybody else on and would want me down there every weekend, It was hard going on my own but I did a good job and they recognised it. I looked forward to the end of the season when I could get into the main spinneys where big bags could be had real easily. Then one day I was walking the spinneys and getting feck all from my good spots.................. I went home that day sick of finding rabbits layed in the fields with 22s in them, just left their to rot! I've not been back this year..............

I've seen the same attitude in hunting/lurchers with respect to rabbits and hares.

A friend of mine had some great lamping permission good bags of bunnies could be taken with the dog,then a rifleman on a quad got to work shot everything ,and left it on the fields its barren now,

Edited by inan

I totally agree with all comments regarding leaving shot game,nothing sickens me more people that do it are a disgrace to the sport,on the subject of the Warrener,I think you will find if you watch his various productions, that the vast majority of the foxes he is shooting ARE problem foxes,and the man has been called out by a farmer/landowner to remove a chicken,lamb,piglet killing fox,and it is my understanding that he makes at least part of his living from his pest control activities,I will also agree that there are some areas that perhaps do not need a hefty amount of fox control,but equally there are areas that do,if only for the sake of ground nesting birds, that will benefit from a season or two without predation,I would love to see hunting with hounds return,and nobody enjoyed the waterloo cup more than me,(though on the grounds of utility it could be argued that a man lamping a few foxes is removing a pest,but a crowd watching greyhounds chase a hare,serves no purpose whatsoever,other than human amusement) despite the eloquent arguments put forward,denouncing the critisising of others sport,the fact remains gentelmen,that the antis will pick up on things like this and use it to there advantage, I will say it again together we stand divided we fall,think on it gentelmen.

I have no love for the trigger finger men....Crack the slip led any day...

now i see each to there own and fair play its there desire to sort out a problem to how ever they want ,..............but i personally prefer the sporting chance and before the ban dogs were a good natural apex predator to a fox...........

the amount of foxes i see on permission could easily be taken with rifles and i would exspect double figures on a night if i was too take a rifle man out and that is no bull shite,................may be im old fashioned for my believes and to pick the weak out with dogs was the best honest way of taking them..........in my opionion........

i think pound notes for meat does make some rifle men a little hungry sometimes ................and i dont see it as sporting as other methods ..........

but i wont knock them as i have shot foxes with bores what have been bolted by dogs legally on request..............

i am more than willing to live with rifle men ........if there honest and respectful which no doubt alot are .........

across the road from me there use to be a few foxes about and one night ...........in my local got talking too a pissed up chap i knew and was bragging at the foxes he took and i dont see hardly any there now but there is nothing there they could of done much harm too but hopfully this year might see a few more moving in ...........it was a case of biting me tongue ..................

• Like 1
Guest Leveller

Sensible post there Leveller,..written with a passion born of experience...well done :yes:

As an aside,....I also wish you a warm welcome, to Hampshire... :thumbs:

Thankyou Chalky there's no flies on you is there?

I totally agree with all comments regarding leaving shot game,nothing sickens me more people that do it are a disgrace to the sport,on the subject of the Warrener,I think you will find if you watch his various productions, that the vast majority of the foxes he is shooting ARE problem foxes,and the man has been called out by a farmer/landowner to remove a chicken,lamb,piglet killing fox,and it is my understanding that he makes at least part of his living from his pest control activities,I will also agree that there are some areas that perhaps do not need a hefty amount of fox control,but equally there are areas that do,if only for the sake of ground nesting birds, that will benefit from a season or two without predation,I would love to see hunting with hounds return,and nobody enjoyed the waterloo cup more than me,(though on the grounds of utility it could be argued that a man lamping a few foxes is removing a pest,but a crowd watching greyhounds chase a hare,serves no purpose whatsoever,other than human amusement) despite the eloquent arguments put forward,denouncing the critisising of others sport,the fact remains gentelmen,that the antis will pick up on things like this and use it to there advantage, I will say it again together we stand divided we fall,think on it gentelmen.

In certain circumstances!!!

What are you saying the antis will use any opportunity at their disposal,only in certain circumstances? or are you questioning the wisdom of the divided we stand adage? please be specific,and it would perhaps be helpful if you provided a brief example,thanks.

First off all......f**k each and every anti that reads this. Nothing i can say will change there small deluded minds, no point trying!! But the reason some people shoot and leave what they have shot...rabbits, pigeons, crows etc is to feed vermin, specifically the hooked beaked type.....as we all know they are a massive pest and you have to use every means possible to protect your investment, whatever it is?

How many hound packs when deciding there meet cards or where they were drawing any given day, did so by working out whether the fox`s needed controlling or not?

So why should a lad with a lurcher be any different?

As for rifles i have one here i use to show face with the farmers during the summer,Not really my sport,But i wouldn't really knock it.Have had some good permission over the years get absolutely destroyed by the rifle lads,I find it hard to understand why some one would go back to the same farm again and again until they have killed every living rabbit and fox.

Edited by weasle

How many hound packs when deciding there meet cards or where they were drawing any given day, did so by working out whether the fox`s needed controlling or not?

As for rifles i have one here i use to show face with the farmers during the summer,Not really my sport,But i wouldn't really knock it.Have had some good permission over the years get absolutely destroyed by the rifle lads,I find it hard to understand why some one would go back to the same farm again and again until they have killed every living rabbit and fox.

It's happened on a couple of my permissions, and on a mate's.Used to be you could always get a run on a bunny for the dogs , but they kept coming winter and summer till they had wiped them out.I could have shot it myself but preferred to have a bit of sport.

Guest Leveller

I don't know how many packs do that and I can only draw on my own personal experiences but if you know your country and get to know the various farmers you know which ones like you to mop a few up when you're on their patch and which ones are happy to keep foxes on their ground, quite often at meets (pre-ban) farmers will come up and say "have anything you can please the buggers been at my chickens/lambs" or "anything goes to ground please leave it" that's how simple it is.

• Like 1

Well all I can say is this leaving things to feed vermin,with the exeption of baiting foxes is an entirely new concept to me and one that disgusts me,I can assure anyone, that leaving shot game,(with the exeption of a myxied rabbit perhaps) is not a practice carried out by myself or anyone I shoot with,I have utmost sympathy with anyone who has had there land denuded of game by anyone,with a rifle or otherwise,but please dont tar us all with the same brush,after all what would be left to fly the hawk on if we all did that :thumbs:

Well all I can say is this leaving things to feed vermin,with the exeption of baiting foxes is an entirely new concept to me and one that disgusts me,I can assure anyone, that leaving shot game,(with the exeption of a myxied rabbit perhaps) is not a practice carried out by myself or anyone I shoot with,I have utmost sympathy with anyone who has had there land denuded of game by anyone,with a rifle or otherwise,but please dont tar us all with the same brush,after all what would be left to fly the hawk on if we all did that :thumbs:

You've never heard of people shooting and leaving game for vermin too eat? Are you new to the countryside?

• Like 1