Finnished For The Season Lamping

This will be my last trip of the season lamping with the pup..i say pup but she is around 16mth now..she has finnished her first lamping season with 63 rabbit's..not massive number's i know but enough to kick start a young dog for the next fresh season when she should be fully matured..her jumping/recall/stock breaking and strike are all more or less 100% for her age but the retrieve need's working on and that is the main reason i have pulled the plug for this season..

To start with in her early day's she had a good retrieve and occasionaly placed the odd bunnie in my hand but it has gone from worse to worse...and lastnight realy tested my patience and i had to try realy hard not to take my frustration out on the pup..which i did not thank god.. :thumbs: ..she caught 6 bunnie's as you can see but they where very hard on short crop field's and the speed the missed one's hit the hedge's and fence's had me wondering how they did not kill themself..

The retrieve was nothing short of diabolical..she would come within 10ft then proceed to crunch the bunnie..not that i am bothered about that but when i took a step forward to pick the bunnie up she would walk away from me with the bunnie..if i turned my back and walked away she would follow but as soon as i went for the bunnie she would walk away.. :cray: ..she would however let me have them once they where brown bread..hopefully over the summer monthes i can iron this little problem out..

Cheer's.. :thumbs:

Image0076_zps114af9aa.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I agree millet is a lazy b***%*d and will only take the dog out for 1 hour at a time the poor pup has no chance of being one of the THL legends ... She will however be a champion show dog as he l

This will be my last trip of the season lamping with the pup..i say pup but she is around 16mth now..she has finnished her first lamping season with 63 rabbit's..not massive number's i know but enough

Did i ever say it was a massive bag.. ..you try bringing a pup up on the land i have access too and then tell me 63 rabbit's are poor for a 16mth old dog..and not forgetting brain child that 15mth's

And by the way ignore the state of the garden.. :icon_redface: ..it usualy look's like this but i have recently had a big build being done and the shitty wet weather has not allowed me to tidy thing's up.. :thumbs:

IMG_9528_zpsffe364d8.jpg

• Like 1

63 rabbits is poor for a dog of 16 months,maybe you not doing enough,but on other hand dog looks very pretty

Yes I agree millet is a lazy b***%*d and will only take the dog out for 1 hour at a time the poor pup has no chance of being one of the THL legends ... She will however be a champion show dog as he loves getting dressed in his best tweeds to prance around the ring :toast: .............

• Like 6

63 rabbits is poor for a dog of 16 months,maybe you not doing enough,but on other hand dog looks very pretty

Did i ever say it was a massive bag.. :blink: ..you try bringing a pup up on the land i have access too and then tell me 63 rabbit's are poor for a 16mth old dog..and not forgetting brain child that 15mth's of her life have been spent on training and learning..i could quite easily go and run 100 fooking rabbit's in one night with a adult dog but i don't for the life of me see me wanting to do that with a youngster that has still not matured...are you 12yr's old by the way before i get carried away..

• Like 5

Yes I agree millet is a lazy b***%*d and will only take the dog out for 1 hour at a time the poor pup has no chance of being one of the THL legends ... She will however be a champion show dog as he loves getting dressed in his best tweeds to prance around the ring :toast: .............

I have upped the codliver oil Sock's and i can cut my eyebrow's and comb my hair in her mirror like coat..so bring them show's ON.. :D

• Like 1

Good stuff Millet..don't think I done much more with her sire in his 1st season? Im sure 14 was his best? My elder dogs were beautiful retrievers but by feck a month or two back I didn't know wether to kill them or myself lol..Jesus it was worse than diabolical,I put it down to them working with the terriers? Them little shits just tear them apart and the lurchers started doing the same,catching them then opening them up!! Honestly I could of cried..they seem to have returned to somewhere where they were but IMO ain't 100% and lord knows if they will ever get back to how they were? Lils sire will bring em right to your feet but has started that turning his head as you bend down..does my brain in,he doesn't do it EVERYTIME but he knows better than to do it at all,Swift was like a gundog,yet she went stupid when catching during the day but seems good again now? Like I say I blame the terriers,as when the lurchers caught anything and tried to retrieve it them little b*****ds were pulling them apart...I'm sure she will be ok mate,just keep on over the next few months with the dummy or ball...ATB Andy

• Like 2

Pup looks lovely have you taken the dog ferreting?i found it helped with the dog being comfortable with you with live game I.e holding in the purse nets and giving the rabbits up on command as been sed other dogs can spoil a dogs retrieving good luck next season.

Pup looks lovely have you taken the dog ferreting?i found it helped with the dog being comfortable with you with live game I.e holding in the purse nets and giving the rabbits up on command as been sed other dogs can spoil a dogs retrieving good luck next season.

Thank's for your input Bud..the pup has been lamping/ferreting/retrieving to the air rifle/rimmy and shot gun and the odd bit more so i think i may have it covered with what she has done..and she still need's to learn.. :thumbs: .. as you can see this is not a cock exstention thread...just a honest few monthes work dragging a rabbiting pup along.. :yes::bye:

Edited by Millet