Yes that price would be right Simoman, they had a feild day in Sydney a while back to try and educate people about the breed but they are far to expenceive to be running around the bush with for my blood.

There's a south african chap in Queensland that recons you can pick them up from any farmer in south africa for $50.00. He also recons some bullmastiff lines are just as good at what they do.

Steve

Thats what i thought, they look just like a bullmastiff with out a tail . :yes:

mad-mouse :D

just spoke to the guy i know with the boerbels. he said the last time he lined his bitch he got a test tube full of you know sent over from oz from a working strain. he said he had seen the dogs in video and they were running the pigs down aswell as holding them.

i wouldnt bother a stag, pointer x, bullygrey or bullarab r the best pig dogs for todays sort of ute work heeler or kelpie aswell if u want a bailier i wouldnt stuff around with much else, you wont get better then what we've got plus we've got the working strain in dogs

• 5 weeks later...
Yes that price would be right Simoman, they had a feild day in Sydney a while back to try and educate people about the breed but they are far to expenceive to be running around the bush with for my blood.

There's a south african chap in Queensland that recons you can pick them up from any farmer in south africa for $50.00. He also recons some bullmastiff lines are just as good at what they do.

Steve

i have heard that over here(uk) 50 or 60 dollars for a pup in S.A makes you think dont it

• 2 weeks later...
a mate of mine has 2 boerbels. he has one in pup just now. very nice dogs. hes plannin on puttin a grey over his bitch next year they should be the business for charlie. maybe not first x but 3/4 will have it all. imo

I don't really believe in such big dogs at all, at least not to REAL wild boars like we have in continental Europe. Here we used hounds for centuries, a pack of hounds to pursue one boar, wear it out and hold it at bay, then, one or more running dogs/catch dogs were sent in and a man came with a spear to finish it off. Now, numbers of boars have exploded over here and the Guns are boss so now we have sweep hunts. In most of Europe, running dogs are forbidden, even their crosses, hounds hunt too wide, so for the sweep hunts, small agile terriers with good noses turn out to be the very best. The German hunt terrier was bred for 70 years to hunt wild boar and is fantastic at it! With us, the boars always hide in very thick cover and try to fight off dogs and stay sometimes, a big dog just can't manouvre well in that stuff and will be hit hard and will be dead soon, that is, if he has the guts to get near a boar at all! Whereas the small, agile terrier with courage AND brains is just the right thing. They too, get hit sometimes and even mortally, but mostly they just catch the blow, sort of move around the impact, fly through the air several times, and are still not hurt and can return to the pig to get him running! Of course here the pigs are supposed to run past the guns who then can shoot them, but our terriers still catch plenty, in fact anything that won't move in time. To avoid that I can only hunt like 3 or 4 per drive but in the maize they don't mind if the terriers catch some and if I let them all go I better have the knife ready! In the USA they use German terriers to their feral hogs lately, and ONE German terrier of 8 kilo will find, pursue and catch such hogs of up to 60 kilo single handed! The drive to hunt hogs/boar is inborn in this breed, they are especially bred for it!

Guest ocs1867

Boerboels in South Africa are used on wild pig in the African bush and I have been told they are very successful. There is also a man in Brazil that uses Two Dogos and one Boerboel on wild boar and Tapiar, he should be sending me pics of their next hunt soon.

• 3 months later...
a mate of mine has 2 boerbels. he has one in pup just now. very nice dogs. hes plannin on puttin a grey over his bitch next year they should be the business for charlie. maybe not first x but 3/4 will have it all. imo

I don't really believe in such big dogs at all, at least not to REAL wild boars like we have in continental Europe. Here we used hounds for centuries, a pack of hounds to pursue one boar, wear it out and hold it at bay, then, one or more running dogs/catch dogs were sent in and a man came with a spear to finish it off. Now, numbers of boars have exploded over here and the Guns are boss so now we have sweep hunts. In most of Europe, running dogs are forbidden, even their crosses, hounds hunt too wide, so for the sweep hunts, small agile terriers with good noses turn out to be the very best. The German hunt terrier was bred for 70 years to hunt wild boar and is fantastic at it! With us, the boars always hide in very thick cover and try to fight off dogs and stay sometimes, a big dog just can't manouvre well in that stuff and will be hit hard and will be dead soon, that is, if he has the guts to get near a boar at all! Whereas the small, agile terrier with courage AND brains is just the right thing. They too, get hit sometimes and even mortally, but mostly they just catch the blow, sort of move around the impact, fly through the air several times, and are still not hurt and can return to the pig to get him running! Of course here the pigs are supposed to run past the guns who then can shoot them, but our terriers still catch plenty, in fact anything that won't move in time. To avoid that I can only hunt like 3 or 4 per drive but in the maize they don't mind if the terriers catch some and if I let them all go I better have the knife ready! In the USA they use German terriers to their feral hogs lately, and ONE German terrier of 8 kilo will find, pursue and catch such hogs of up to 60 kilo single handed! The drive to hunt hogs/boar is inborn in this breed, they are especially bred for it!

Hello Bud,

After 2 seasons hunting with a German Jagdterrier pack on Wildboar I can attest to all your comments.The Jterrier is perfectly suited to European conditions - especially the restrictive hunting areas and hunting constitution.It would be impossible to use hounds for boar here as the neighbouring hunting concession holders would have a shit every time the hounds drove the boars through the property.They do however have no problem in sitting on the boundary and shooting the driven boars as soon as they take a step in the area during your driven hunt.The system in France is better arranged in favour of real boar hunting with dogs and I applaude them for this.With about 1300000 hunters, of which many are pack holders, competing for relatively small land area they have managed to hold the traditions of European hunting in tact.A dream would be to drive a Boar for several hours with the hounds and send in the Jterriers when he finally makes a stand.

This is generally how we do it in South Africa with some guys using hard core catch dogs and others using hound/bull crosses and others Jack Russel Terriers.Many use only hounds as they can hold the pig at bay without catch dogs - at which time we use a traditional Zulu spear with a lenghthened handle, bow are firearm to kill the pig.Visit WWW.xosha.eu to see some pics and video.You can check out WWW.jagende-laufhunde.de

Boerbull/hound crosses work but Pure Boerbulls are slow,dumb and short winded but strong and courageous.

post-14189-1200213315_thumb.jpg