Larson Trap Advice

This time of years you may find it quite difficult to keep a call bird alive for more than a few day's, in some case's less, depending on the weather.

They need to be kept dry, if they get wet hypothermia will kill them in just a few hours and even quicker during the cold night's.

I managed to keep a call bird for the whole duration of last summer and when I was happy with the job he had done, I let him go. He still visitst my garden even this morning but he wont go in the trap. Magpies like crows are very intelligent and can sence danger as well as work it out.!!

In the bird world magpies are very fierce and will attack all birds apart from large Hawkes. The reason they enter the trap is to attack a rival bird that has seemingley enterd their territory.

Marty

Don't have many magpies in this area but plenty crows. Caught many in the Larsen but I never kept the call bird more than a week. Oh and I never let the egg/ chick eating swine go either... Lol
:laugh::laugh: :laugh: Id kind of got attached to him after haveing him so long. He was an excellent call bird, and if i put another magpie in with it, it was dead in hour's.

I just want him back in my trap and il be happy :laugh:

Marty.

Do you have multiple birds in the same section mate.... If so, why?
Why ask such a question.?

The law states..you can only have one call bird at a time in any one trap. My traps come in two sections as they split. I dont cull the birds where anyone may see me, so i put them in one of my sections and take them somewhere private to dispatch them.

No being funny but since the pic you posted on page 2 clearly shows a set trap with 3 birds in the call compartment it would seem to be a fair question from lab.

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair comment, I get a tad edgey when folk ask me some question's, like i hope these birds where dipatched according to the General Licence. I mean..come on what kind of a question is that.?  Im a 43

I have been bitten of far worse than a maggie Marty .. ..i was just messing about i have been had of bird's of prey dog's and ferret's..but the worst i can remember was a cockatiel....

Somebody says a mirror works

This time of years you may find it quite difficult to keep a call bird alive for more than a few day's, in some case's less, depending on the weather.

They need to be kept dry, if they get wet hypothermia will kill them in just a few hours and even quicker during the cold night's.

I managed to keep a call bird for the whole duration of last summer and when I was happy with the job he had done, I let him go. He still visitst my garden even this morning but he wont go in the trap. Magpies like crows are very intelligent and can sence danger as well as work it out.!!

In the bird world magpies are very fierce and will attack all birds apart from large Hawkes. The reason they enter the trap is to attack a rival bird that has seemingley enterd their territory.

Marty

Don't have many magpies in this area but plenty crows. Caught many in the Larsen but I never kept the call bird more than a week. Oh and I never let the egg/ chick eating swine go either... Lol
:laugh::laugh: :laugh: Id kind of got attached to him after haveing him so long. He was an excellent call bird, and if i put another magpie in with it, it was dead in hour's.

Marty.

The law states..you can only have one call bird at a time in any one trap. My traps come in two sections as they split. I dont cull the birds where anyone may see me, so i put them in one of my sections and take them somewhere private to dispatch them.

No being funny but since the pic you posted on page 2 clearly shows a set trap with 3 birds in the call compartment it would seem to be a fair question from lab.

Am not going daft after all mate. Never noticed the pic but i'm sure he mentioned twice about birds together? I thought it was some new technique?... :icon_eek:

I have been bitten of far worse than a maggie Marty .. :thumbs: ..i was just messing about i have been had of bird's of prey dog's and ferret's..but the worst i can remember was a cockatiel.... :D

I had a few redtails years ago, il never forget when one of them jumped on my fist without the glove on and its tallon went right up underneith my thumb nail and couldnt get it off...i was going white and weak at the knee's, a few more seconds and i was going to hit the deck :blink:

Marty

Marty

Marty.

Am not going daft after all mate. Never noticed the pic but i'm sure he mentioned twice about birds together? I thought it was some new technique?... :icon_eek:

No not at all. It would work out better though if you kept more call birds in the one section, reason being..during the night roosting birds huggle together to keep warm and take turnes in being the outside bird. 2 Birds in the call bird section would be better off for that reason alone, but it would have to be two that have paired up.

Marty.

Edited by Probuk

Mate of mine used to have a full blown f**kin' Macaw! Thing scared me to f**kin death! You seen what those b@stards can do to a nut? F**k That getting hold of my finger!

:laugh: ..just imagine one working that beak on your pod's.. :cray:

What? Like .....

" Cummonnnn Macaw!!! "

HomeAlone.gif

I don't think so! :icon_eek: