Larson Trap Advice

I know what you mean Logun, but funnily enough it seems to work better if you don't. It's almost as if having looked at the empty nest on and off for a while and not been able to investigate - once there IS an egg there and they can get it, the temptation is just too much.

That's not based on a proper scientific study though :icon_redface:

Oh and Millets points are quite valid. A trap left unset and so unchecked will become part of the familiar environment more quickly.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair comment, I get a tad edgey when folk ask me some question's, like i hope these birds where dipatched according to the General Licence. I mean..come on what kind of a question is that.?  Im a 43

I have been bitten of far worse than a maggie Marty .. ..i was just messing about i have been had of bird's of prey dog's and ferret's..but the worst i can remember was a cockatiel....

Somebody says a mirror works

Not realy logun..if you leave the trap open it need's checking regular thus spooking anything in the area..if you leave it shut or unset for a while or locked open the prey species will get confident without being disturbed twice a day by daily checking..

each to they own but a pre baited trap that cant catch is a pointless exercise to me... so if it was locked oppen would you allow thhe bird to enter each day ,,take the bait before you decide to set for a catch.... best bait this time of year with hard frosts etc is rabbit .

My theory, and it is just a theory, is this.

How often in nature does a nest appear overnight with an egg already in it ? Never would be my guess.

However a new nest in a familiar territory implies a mated pair that are ready to have a brood. Time and again I see magpies returning to watch nest builders in hedges, keeping a distance but getting to know where the nest is likely to be.

My approach tries to mimic the cycle in nature - allowing the magpies to discover a new nest and keep coming back looking for the eggs.

. One thing that all the great trappers seems to be in agreement about is that the best results come when you think like the animal you're trying to catch. I may well be crediting them with too much intelligence but it seems to work for me. :thumbs:

I'm in the gun club but no one really knows much about trapping as far as I can see. Myself and my young fella are running 5 mink traps aswell. They are going a bit better. The club secretary contacted the local game council to see about a call bird but as of yet we have heard nothing.

Carlow,

What are you using for bait?

Toby will try that tomorrow or would I be aswell off doing it tonight?

just keep a steady amount of bread there to build there confidence

I had 168 maggpies in my trap last year. Try feeding them with dog food..dry or meat. Keep it on top for a few days, then one of the days just put the food in the trap sections and they'll go in for it. Just got my trap out for the same thing but all the other birds in my garden are beating them to it at the moment.

Marty

• Like 1

Aye they dont often call when your watching them but they'll be calling in the early mornings and thats when you'll find you catch most of your birds. Keep your trap moving is the biggest secret. It dosnt take much 80 to 100 yards can often make the difference. If you dont catch for a day move your trap! Atb. read them out of it! :thumbs:

• Like 1

I've was given a live bird by a mate yesterday but there's not a sound out of it in the trap.Is this normal? Do they need time to get adjusted and start calling?

The males tend to be the better call birds.. the more dominant he is the better he'll call. Youl know you have a good one when he kills any of the birds you put in with him..keep him as long as possible :thumbs:

Dont worry about a bird that seems mute, take it out of the area you cought it, these birds are very territorial and it wont take long before another bird from a new area comes to investigate it.

The above post is also good advice

.021.jpg

Marty

Edited by Probuk

Remi

I moved it earlier and stuck on my mates ucaller. Every magpie round here came into the yard but didn't go into the trap. Fuc***s lol

Probuck

Bird was caught about 10 miles away

Be patiant mate, Magpies are very intelligent, there the kind of birds along with crow, jackdaws and jays that are good at working out puzzel's..if theres food in your trap IT WILL GO IN. Try not to disturb them and stay out of sight. Its only a matter of time mate. By the sound of it , if you have them visiting now there will be one or more in it by late morning today.

ATB

Marty :thumbs:

What food you using.? I use cheap dry cat food, they love it. Dont do the egg thing you'll get nowhere, or the dead rabbit on top.

Feed them on the top of the trap till there use to landing and feeding with confidence. Then tie a food bowl leavel with the pirch inside the trap, no need to put food on top once you put it in the trap as you want them to go inside to feed. Look at it this way.. Your trap is basiclly a feeding station for magpies just be patiant and it will all come together.

If I knew how Id put a film clip on here to show you just how easy it is.

.108.jpg

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

ATB

Marty :thumbs:

Edited by Probuk