GERMAN SHEPHARD X GREYHOUND PUPPIES

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IAM WARMING MORE AND MORE TO THIS SORT OF BREEDING I THINK IF YOU PICKED A PUP THAT WAS LONG IN THE BACK AND THE MORE RACER PUP THEY WOULD MAKE A VERY COMPTENT ALL ROUNDER ...GOOD LUCK MATE ... :D

Guest ROOSTER

THINK a lad called steve barton did this and second crosses some years ago he said they were very good, i wonder why they're not more of them if theyre so good.

Edited by ROOSTER
THINK a lad called steve barton did this and second crosses some years ago he said they were very good, i wonder why they're not more of them if theyre so good.

its probably down to finding a decent shephard

I suppose everyone hopes to breed that elusive dog the perfect lurcher, I don't see what this cross could provide more than say a collie/grey other than more litter wastage.

Someone asked why they're not more common,I think the answers obvious.

Years ago I saw one at the final of the lurcher obedience trials at Blairgowrie/Blairatholl not sure which, to be fair it was the best hunter of the day from three dogs each from Scotland,England and Wales but it was way too heavy couldn't get close to a running rabbit.

Man, if i was back home, i would snap one of these up...they sound smashing.

I would like to keep hearing from anyone who gets one of these, with some updates and pics on how they do...if you can get a racy one, im sure it would be a handy type..

Kye,..

I cant see why there would be to much litter wastage shepherds arent exactly the slowest or clumsiest of dogs and Ive seen one used as a draw dog.I would be more intrested to know what the prey drive was like in the shepherd.There were reports of a lot of roe being found dead in the local area every one blamed poachers as usual but it turned out to be a pair of stray shepherds.

Well I'm finding that my pup 1st cross GSD Grey has a seriously high prey drive. I'd say that these dogs need a lot of sensible training to make good lurchers: not for the wannabees who think they'll look cool with a big prick eared dog on the end of a lead.

Don't get me wrong, but although Shepherds are relatively easy to train, they do need an owner that is prepared to put in the time on the training, and they're not the sort of dogs to just lie around until you want to take them out: they need serious quality time and lots of it from their owners.

Like all guarding herding breeds they need properly breaking to livestock as well: with the sort of power they have they can do a lot of damage in the wrong place at the wrong time unless they're under control.

I reckon they'll be fantastic dogs for the serious owner who knows what they're doing, and is prepared to put in the hard work: or I can see a lot of these lurchers ending up for sale at around 1 year old when they've got the better of their owners.