Collie Xs Taking Fox

the moral to this is, that other types of lurcher can and do take fox, there is so much hype on here bullx this bullx that, a 70/80 pound dog to a 14/18 poound fox, I like my dogs to be more than one trick ponys, to lamp fox at night and ferret with the same dog next the morning a good all round lucher, Every man to his own

And im sure you will have opened a few folks eyes. Surely all traditional lurchers and a great many bull cross will do all that and more aswell?

And its also apparent that some folk seem to believe that bull crosses are purely fox catchers, not the case in my experience, to call them 1 trick ponies is pure breed blindness.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you hear bull x this & bull x that taking foxes, but the best I have owned is first x collie, he would take fox day & night all single handed, he would carry a rabbit back to hand alive then

Calibre of rifle that's killed the most foxs......22lr   Dog that's killed the most foxs. .farm collie.   We used to manage before bull x Nike trainers and joggin bottoms..lol

There are some tremendous bull X's out there, but they gave people a short cut to a dog that would work biting game from 12 months onwards, with no real need to enter carefully. (Similar to the black

Posted Images

the moral to this is, that other types of lurcher can and do take fox, there is so much hype on here bullx this bullx that, a 70/80 pound dog to a 14/18 poound fox, I like my dogs to be more than one trick ponys, to lamp fox at night and ferret with the same dog next the morning a good all round lucher, Every man to his own

And im sure you will have opened a few folks eyes. Surely all traditional lurchers and a great many bull cross will do all that and more aswell?

And its also apparent that some folk seem to believe that bull crosses are purely fox catchers, not the case in my experience, to call them 1 trick ponies is pure breed blindness.

Speaking to a friend that had a handy bull x bitch..I asked why would you want a dog with most of its teeth missing and covered in scares?? He said he likes em because they seem to heal up quicker and seem to recover from injury faster than other x's.......

Speaking to a friend that had a handy bull x bitch..I asked why would you want a dog with most of its teeth missing and covered in scares?? He said he likes em because they seem to heal up quicker and seem to recover from injury faster than other x's.......

:laugh::thumbs:

Seen most every dam cur take fox, but by far the best Ive personally seen was a line bred bull cross, head and shoulders above the rest. For all aspects of fox hunting, and killing day and night.

All depends what you are looking for in a dog brains or brawn,

There's a dog by me ..typical youngs lads dog...never been got fit..just straight out of its pen into the truck and run on anything and everything...the dogs 6 now and still a machine..the dog was worked 5 or 6 nights a week....I never seen a dog like it...there's a few respected lads on hear that have seen claud in action..he's a collie x with no bull blood in him at all...

borderx or beardiex ? - what % collie? were his parents good dogs?

have they used him over a bitch and if so how have the pups progressed?

sounds great animal-would like to know more about him

Seen most every dam cur take fox, but by far the best Ive personally seen was a line bred bull cross, head and shoulders above the rest. For all aspects of fox hunting, and killing day and night.

All depends what you are looking for in a dog brains or brawn,

There's a dog by me ..typical youngs lads dog...never been got fit..just straight out of its pen into the truck and run on anything and everything...the dogs 6 now and still a machine..the dog was worked 5 or 6 nights a week....I never seen a dog like it...there's a few respected lads on hear that have seen claud in action..he's a collie x with no bull blood in him at all...

borderx or beardiex ? - what % collie? were his parents good dogs?

have they used him over a bitch and if so how have the pups progressed?

sounds great animal-would like to know more about him

what do you want too know ....? the lad dont own him ,................you ask side kicks and you get half the story ,..............maybe ask the lad for the phone number and speak to him on the phone.....................

im sure if the lad wanted his dog talked about he wouldnt want every one knowing his buisness......

Regarding the type of collie used in the cross, Hancock told me he only used stable, friendly collies as stud dogs. He reckoned they produced stable friendly pups. He might be right but maybe pre- ban they would also lack the minerals for fox.

Maybe he would be better using 'psycho' aggressive collies that frighten the life out of you when you come across them on farms?

Since a lot of collie crosses come from his place, if he used tougher collies his reputation might improve. Just a thought.

have had the beardie xs and a mix of both the mix was the better of the on teeth and heavy game comuing in at 27 85pounds not a small animal by any means rubbish on rabbs ok doubled on long ears catch big numbers of these fast dog slow dog routine running them for the market . no wthis animal was hard for the type foot structure like bell metal, run any ground any where . But he was what he was , as good on reds to some of the terrier types from preban i would consider not , its the gruelling 3 4 nights days per week them begets the collie xs down . now before some one jumps up well this and that collie there may be a freak not saying that , but what are the chances ofthe trait being passed on , like most they revert to type if one gets my meaning . atb bunnys.

• Like 2

have had the beardie xs and a mix of both the mix was the better of the on teeth and heavy game comuing in at 27 85pounds not a small animal by any means rubbish on rabbs ok doubled on long ears catch big numbers of these fast dog slow dog routine running them for the market . no wthis animal was hard for the type foot structure like bell metal, run any ground any where . But he was what he was , as good on reds to some of the terrier types from preban i would consider not , its the gruelling 3 4 nights days per week them begets the collie xs down . now before some one jumps up well this and that collie there may be a freak not saying that , but what are the chances ofthe trait being passed on , like most they revert to type if one gets my meaning . atb bunnys.

thanks bunnys, good informative post, what forums are for - i get where you;re coming from

Regarding the type of collie used in the cross, Hancock told me he only used stable, friendly collies as stud dogs. He reckoned they produced stable friendly pups. He might be right but maybe pre- ban they would also lack the minerals for fox.

Maybe he would be better using 'psycho' aggressive collies that frighten the life out of you when you come across them on farms?

Since a lot of collie crosses come from his place, if he used tougher collies his reputation might improve. Just a thought. i must habve to say jukel being an agressive type animal dont necesary these are the best to breed from to get game type lurchers for teeth preban some of the most iunassuming types are the best one get laid back and easy to live with much like a good pit type animal all this agressive front on some animals is just that , i have a great interest in temps in animals and how they can be when handled corectly and for me the quite types are best for me . atb bunnys.

don't worry, just would have been nice to know about a top notch collieX that was tested.

if it'll cause anyone bother i'll leave it.

best wishes

i would kiss you if i could see you.........lol

i know its things we love to know pal and if the lad had threads up on the forum then its open for discussion..............but talking about another mans dukel just leads to problems ,.for one you dont get the truth and secondly its no buisness but the owners too decide if they want there dukels talked about............

i mean some people dont care about there dogs being talked about ,especially if its all good as its pound notes for peddlars..........

look at the coursing thread everyone talking about dogs they thought they new ,...........but never seen it run ,.......just here say.........

its up to the lad whever he shares information with you ...................i just think its disrespectfull to talk about another rmans dukel on a public forum , even worst when they dont know about it...............causes problems as said..........atb

how can i put ths perhaps not collie xs but i have here a young sheperd grey bitch line bred over four generations . this animal would not do for most beardies easy street. this aniaml guards like it would eat some one , but its all front and i hope slowly decreases to some extent had five of these neva one like this . she was nipped tother day by an old hound bitch she screamed like she was being murdered .nought up with her not a blemish , animals can be so deceiving and at times one needs to be well educated with the temps for the breed types in the make up of the animal plus the fact theyre all individualls . will she come good who knows not for the wants of trying the engine under the bonnets there teeth well i pretty much doubt it and if i was a gambler i would bet against her . atb bunnys.

Yes I know what you mean. Some dogs are just honest-what you see is what you get. I've got a little bitch here which is 100 per cent honest but her daughter is a chancer. Ducks and dives and is just a bit deficient, but still likeable. If she were a bloke and you needed her back up in a fight she's be gone!Her mother would be right by your side though.

Temperament is a strange thing. I had a pure bred GSD which was a devil on the chain. You would think she would rip an intruder to pieces but she was soft as shit with people.

But I ran her on the lamp just for fun and she would kill and tackle anything if she could catch it, which wasn't very often.lol