Collie Xs Taking Fox

Some of the best fox catching dogs I've seen were collie x's BUT they weren't the best "fox dogs" because most of them lacked the art of dispatching the fox. Thats why the bull x and blending the x's together as evolved for fox hunting and your collie x's are exclusively the rabbiting dog these days.

:victory:

BUT...the ones that do it regulary...and have mastered the art of dispatch...lol,do it very well :thumbs:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you hear bull x this & bull x that taking foxes, but the best I have owned is first x collie, he would take fox day & night all single handed, he would carry a rabbit back to hand alive then

Calibre of rifle that's killed the most foxs......22lr   Dog that's killed the most foxs. .farm collie.   We used to manage before bull x Nike trainers and joggin bottoms..lol

There are some tremendous bull X's out there, but they gave people a short cut to a dog that would work biting game from 12 months onwards, with no real need to enter carefully. (Similar to the black

Posted Images

Some of the best fox catching dogs I've seen were collie x's BUT they weren't the best "fox dogs" because most of them lacked the art of dispatching the fox. Thats why the bull x and blending the x's together as evolved for fox hunting and your collie x's are exclusively the rabbiting dog these days.

One of the best if not the best fox killers i have seen is a old English seepdog x greyhound on the lamp and hunt up his fox by day he whould dispatch his fox in a couple of shakes and the job was done

BUT...the ones that do it regulary...and have mastered the art of dispatch...lol,do it very well :thumbs:

One of the best if not the best fox killers i have seen is a old English seepdog x greyhound on the lamp and hunt up his fox by day he whould dispatch his fox in a couple of shakes and the job was done

I had a 3/4 that was a great on fox and when you get a good one they're a sight to see, I'm not saying they don't do it because they do. I was just saying how the bull x's have been the dog of choice of more recent times. I like to hunt a bit of everything so I use collie x's they tend to be more versatile especially on edible quarry. :victory:

• Like 3

>

I had a 3/4 that was a great on fox and when you get a good one they're a sight to see, I'm not saying they don't do it because they do. I was just saying how the bull x's have been the dog of choice of more recent times. I like to hunt a bit of everything so I use collie x's they tend to be more versatile especially on edible quarry. :victory:

I have been told by some good decent lurcher men that own 3/4 that they dispatch a fox like a terrier to a rat

the thing with the collie cross is when you get a good one. its very good. :thumbs: the most popular fox dogs when i was starting out was the collie greyhound/deerhound greyhound. :victory: very few of this cross didnt make the grade. they also did ok on other edible quarry :yes: . the main fox dogs then were beddy crosses :thumbs: good post and pics red.

have seen 3 bullxs latley bowl a fox then bark at it and big dogs that should be able and have seen colliex throw in the towel after being good dogs its all down to what suits u the hardest lurcher i had was bullx catching and killing 40 a season [all daytime i dont lamp] but he was not half the dog i use now who is cooliex with a dash of saluki for catching foxes and i have seen some of your named fox destroyers over the years and the bullxs are the hardest but the colliex put more on the deck this is what i have found after 30 odd years

• Like 3

They called CULLS in these parts mate. No matter what breeding is behind them.

All the best

Tusker

have seen 3 bullxs latley bowl a fox then bark at it and big dogs that should be able and have seen colliex throw in the towel after being good dogs its all down to what suits u the hardest lurcher i had was bullx catching and killing 40 a season [all daytime i dont lamp] but he was not half the dog i use now who is cooliex with a dash of saluki for catching foxes and i have seen some of your named fox destroyers over the years and the bullxs are the hardest but the colliex put more on the deck this is what i have found after 30 odd years

Jeez theres some folk happy to feed and work CULLS its crazy.

Seen most every dam cur take fox, but by far the best Ive personally seen was a line bred bull cross, head and shoulders above the rest. For all aspects of fox hunting, and killing day and night.

All depends what you are looking for in a dog brains or brawn,

Trust me OLdRed, this dog was a mastermind. But hell he was stubborn jeez, too much dog for me, all drive, no reverse...hes retired now and not owned by me. Like I say Ive seen most sorts over the years, and some very handy stuff too, both here and in Australia , but this bull grey was an exceptional dog and has been tested on everything, I mean everything. I hope I am still allowed to use him over my best tracking bitch!

All the best

Tusker

Seen most every dam cur take fox, but by far the best Ive personally seen was a line bred bull cross, head and shoulders above the rest. For all aspects of fox hunting, and killing day and night.

All depends what you are looking for in a dog brains or brawn, i would be looking for both atb bunnys.

bets are thee most that aint seen a line bred from top quality stock go about is work , reds are not much of problem and decent numbers can and were taken preban with some animals of the right bull breeding . most animals will take them on occasion but there be some that take a liking for certain teethed quarry and preban the red was one , rabbs and the fore were of little interest to these types as for the blending of the right type of cur xs etc the right bull breeding will put fire in ought . atb bunnys.

the moral to this is, that other types of lurcher can and do take fox, there is so much hype on here bullx this bullx that, a 70/80 pound dog to a 14/18 poound fox, I like my dogs to be more than one trick ponys, to lamp fox at night and ferret with the same dog next the morning a good all round lucher, Every man to his own

• Like 1

I really look forward to adding this blood into my tracking dogs bunnys. I cant speak to highly of said dog. Ive hunted alongside most aussie pig dogs from dogo's to mastiffs to bull arab's, and honestly this dog is at the top of the tree, and can use brain as well as brawn when needed, which is essential for boar work. Far from a 1 trick pony. Its not that its a bull grey, I see the dog as an individual, and hope to add his qualities, as well as his ancestors. He is not only a great worker, but a great softie around dogs and stock too. lovely beasty indeed.