What Shotgun?

Hi there

I shoot clays mainly sporting and dtl as i suck at skeet ! i have just been through the process of buying my first gun i found that the browning 525 / 725 and miroku mk38 were a good fit for me i really liked the look of the beretta silver pigeon but when i tried one i couldnt get on with it at all just mounting the gun felt arkward and compared to the browning and miroku i was looking down the right hand side of the rib . I finished up buying a browning 725 sporter mainly because it fitted well and felt really comfortable i also found the palm swell really comfortable aposed to the thinner grip on the 525 and miroku as i have hands like shovels !

I was lucky enough that my local shooting ground has a well stocked shop with demo guns available to try out otherwise i could have ended up with a gun i liked the look of but didnt fit correctly !

hope this is of some help

stuart.

• 1 month later...

I also use a side by side for everything,okay you may

drop a few clay's but the pleasure of using a game gun is pleasure enough for me.

Make sure you are safe at all times and enjoy your shooting. Cheer's, Phil.

• 4 weeks later...

I shot sxs and singles (p/a and semi auto) for 40 years found I was doing better with the singles so just sold one sxs and bought an o/u Saturday ,hav,nt even tried it yet

but got some clays inline for next w/e .

Try as many types and chokes as you can and see how you find most comfortable for fit and results .

Any gun will do what you want, except maybe a single barrel shotgun. I use 2 main guns for clays & game. First is a Beretta al391 semi auto, the other is a £60 Spanish sbs. So that really goes to show one extreme to the other and both are as good as each other in my hands.

The current "fashion" for clay guns is o/u`s. Ive had a few and still have a lovely lanber o/u. But really its just a case of trying a few out and finding out what you get on well with. Sure, if you buy a bigger brand name, it will hold its value better, but dont feel you have to fork out a fortune for a gun.