Green Tripe Really Only 8% Protein??

Now i know you can find anything on the internet if you look hard enough but i cant beleive such a low protein content exists in a pure animal product. Im no biologist, chemist or nuclear rocket scientist. So i found this in a Boxer dog web site and ive had a word with the bloke at our feed place and he says that you can feed a working dog on pure tripe and the dog will suffer no ill affects so for the sake of FRIENDLY argument prove me wrong?

"As for the 8% protein, that's not low in terms of hydrated food. You can't make
a straight comparison between normally hydrated foods and kibble. Or if you did,
it would be like comparing apples with oranges (or perhaps more accurately, like
comparing soup with a boullion cube). Kibble is dehydrated, whereas your canned
tripe has 82% water content. If you want to (almost) compare them on an equal
basis, you would have to convert the macronutrient percentages in the tripe to
dry matter basis. Which would reveal a true protein content somewhere around 44%"

Dont shoot the messenger

ATB

Keith :D

• Like 1

Now i know you can find anything on the internet if you look hard enough but i cant beleive such a low protein content exists in a pure animal product. Im no biologist, chemist or nuclear rocket scientist. So i found this in a Boxer dog web site and ive had a word with the bloke at our feed place and he says that you can feed a working dog on pure tripe and the dog will suffer no ill affects so for the sake of FRIENDLY argument prove me wrong?

"As for the 8% protein, that's not low in terms of hydrated food. You can't make

a straight comparison between normally hydrated foods and kibble. Or if you did,

it would be like comparing apples with oranges (or perhaps more accurately, like

dry matter basis. Which would reveal a true protein content somewhere around 44%"

Dont shoot the messenger

ATB

shoot the messenger :laugh: be handy if i could understand the fanny :D

Dont shoot the messenger

ATB

shoot the messenger :laugh: be handy if i could understand the fanny :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tripe contains a lower protien content than red meat typically 20% as opposed to 25 - 28% in red meat, most active complete dry foods contain between 25 - 28% protien where as standard dry foods contain 20% so it would all depend on the amount of work your dog is doing :thumbs:

Whilst it's great to know the nutritional values of food, it never ceases to make my mind boggle at how much we are confused by science these days. Years ago many people fed a tripe-based diet to their dogs and they seemed to survive well: though the two words 'survive' and 'well' may be contradictory to each other.

My dad fed his gun dogs on tripe and either brown bread or a basic mixer meal: Winalot. The dogs got household scraps as well and always looked well with a good shine to their coats, however, I wouldn't ever feed tripe as a sole source of protein, but only as part of a balanced raw diet which would include bones and red meat as well as liver and heart.

I guess knowing how to feed a dog is the same as knowing how to feed yourself: once you know the basic nutritional values of foods, you can mix and match various foods over a period of a week to give a balanced diet. We do better if we get plenty of fibre (veg and fruit and cereals : carbs): dogs need more protein, more fat and less carbs, generally speaking.

Whilst it's great to know the nutritional values of food, it never ceases to make my mind boggle at how much we are confused by science these days. Years ago many people fed a tripe-based diet to their dogs and they seemed to survive well: though the two words 'survive' and 'well' may be contradictory to each other.

My dad fed his gun dogs on tripe and either brown bread or a basic mixer meal: Winalot. The dogs got household scraps as well and always looked well with a good shine to their coats, however, I wouldn't ever feed tripe as a sole source of protein, but only as part of a balanced raw diet which would include bones and red meat as well as liver and heart.

I guess knowing how to feed a dog is the same as knowing how to feed yourself: once you know the basic nutritional values of foods, you can mix and match various foods over a period of a week to give a balanced diet. We do better if we get plenty of fibre (veg and fruit and cereals : carbs): dogs need more protein, more fat and less carbs, generally speaking.

in the words of gok wan "mix and match dear" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Almost impossible to get proper green tripe these days: tripe gets pressure washed down and run through a metal detector during pet food preparation these days. I remember when I could get it still with loads of semi-digested grass in it: had to watch out for fencing staples and bits of barbed wire embedded in it though.

i suppose it can be difficult for some but it is still getable the dear wife stopped me fetching em the smellof myself etc reminded her when i used to work at the rendiring plant .green from the cow quick dunking then left to hang the best , i was led to believe 55 percent protein , could be wrong but like ought else its wher the protein comes from that matters and a sustainable easily digested light food full of the fats aminoacids good gut bacteria , given the choice would still be using it taday its just cost me from landywoods nigh on seventy quid ta fill the freezer , costs me more these days ta feed the hounds than me sen ,i shall be nippping up ta see the slaughter house in the week dont mind the spare bed one day a month ha ha ha . atb bunnys.

bunnys: what's Landywoods like these days? I stopped getting from them a few years ago as half the time they didn't have what I ordered, and their chicken carcases were often really rank and slimy, not to mention stinking.

bunnys: what's Landywoods like these days? I stopped getting from them a few years ago as half the time they didn't have what I ordered, and their chicken carcases were often really rank and slimy, not to mention stinking. had a load a carcass seem fine and fresh when thawed ,trying the lamb and tripe beef and tripe chicken and tripe prettry much all, seems ok up ta now just to mention i collected and had to go back as i was short changed they put it right ha ha ha atb bunnys...

I get tripe from a local small scale slaughter house, its straight off the cow with bit of grass stil in it. I hose it down and cut it into terrier and lurcher sized pieces, i also get sheep heads which i chop into pieces and bits of cow fat, meat and bones. So they get bits of all this through out the week, but was wondering if they need anything else in there diet, some dog biscuits or veg, as they seem to be constantly eating grass.