and after all that.... .You will have to keep an eye on scope creep, bits of packing are not ideal and may come loose or move .scope creep being a problem with spring guns .I had a quick look at your gun on the net .the scope rail doesnt appear to have any hole or notches to fit an arrester pin ,in the picture I looked at .If so this may or may not give you a problem in the future so if your piont of impact moves do not think only, Oh I have to adjust the scope the packing or the scope may have moved .

Rear mount has an arrester pin, but thanks for thinking of it. I'm hopefully going to try it out tomorrow without the packing, and putting all the advice I've been given here into practise. Can always put it back if need be ! Cheers!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

who wants a fight

Right . I'll say this much . You both , Tron and Timmytree , are very much " up on your game" and personally i would seek advise from both of you as i consider you both - A , friends , and B , very kn

I think I married her sister

I AM not taking piss .mounts with 3 screws are ok on pcp not so good on a spring gun .how many holes are in the top of your dovetail to locate the stop pin

OK fair enough. :sorry: I hope I've understood you - a single arrester pin locates into a groove at the back of the rail, and a single Allen bolt locks each mount into place. Two collars hold the scope in place, and each collar has 4 screws (so 8 in total) holding it to the mounting block. Hope that's what you're asking and sorry if my terminology is a bit poor !

ok not so good it is better to have two on the side and four on the top.how many holes for the arrester pin are in your gun, in the scope rail [dove tail] .

Again, hope I've understood you - there is a single groove running at 90 degrees across the scope rail - that's it.

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles/BSA-Mercury-S-gun-for-sale-gs118687.aspx I hope this link works I try to put my rear mount and the scope like this .so the scope cannot move in the scope rings .the rear scope ring and the turrets of the scope touching .if you have more that one position for your rear scope mount with the aresster pin that is better so with more holes in your scope rail you can position your scope with the correct eye relief .I think you will have to use the arrester pin with only one screw in each mount holding the mount to the rail .This is what I do and have never had a problem .hope this makes sense

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles/BSA-Mercury-S-gun-for-sale-gs118687.aspx I hope this link works I try to put my rear mount and the scope like this .so the scope cannot move in the scope rings .the rear scope ring and the turrets of the scope touching .if you have more that one position for your rear scope mount with the aresster pin that is better so with more holes in your scope rail you can position your scope with the correct eye relief .I think you will have to use the arrester pin with only one screw in each mount holding the mount to the rail .This is what I do and have never had a problem .hope this makes sense

Goddit ! Cheers buddy !

Goddit ! Cheers buddy !

With the greatest of respect to you all, I think 7 pages of advice is enough for me to be going on with. I'll put it into action and come back if the problem persists. Otherwise I feel my inexperience means that I'll become "blinded by science", and I'll make the problem worse than it really is. Thanks to you all for now :notworthy:

UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

Followed the advice you all gave AND managed to squeeze a bit more range from my back garden (now 19 and a bit yards with a backstop of 2 inch ply).

With an hour and a half or so of shooting groups of three, checking, adjusting and repeating over and over, I thought I just about had it right. Then I got bored and discovered my wife's stash of tiny 2 inch plant pots in the shed. WAAHAAAYYYY !!! Got through about 60 pellets and haven't missed a single shot!!!!!. Probably doesn't sound like much to you guys, but considering that a couple of days ago, I couldn't have hit the front door if I had my fingers in the letterbox ........

Gentlemen, I genuinely cannot thank you enough for all your time and patience. Thank you so much !!!! :notworthy::notworthy:

• Like 1