FOX PROBLEM

HI got a big prob with foxes stealing my mates chickens,now i do a lot of shooting with lamp and shotgun,but my mate has had some others in with the rifles to try get them at night !!

chickens are locked up at night so charlie comes around during the day,spotted 3 cubs 2 diff vixens and a dog that looks huge but very lamp shy due to the dickheads who have been on there with the rifles.

grass surrounding the farm(small holding) is 2-3feet high so its nigh on impossible to lamp (farmer next door has not cut grass for 2 years he getting on abit in years)

snaring is out off the question (i think) because of the amount off badgers there 3 diff setts all 10-12 holers and very much in use . found 3 earths put the terrier down one they marked and accounted for a dog fox.

nothing at home in the others prob due to the weather and the amount of natural cover that is there.

live trap caught a cub but nothing since !

30 chickens to start with down to 9 now !!!!!

found runs up to chicken run but barbed wire has fox and badger hair on it.

any help suggestions would be most appreciated.

no smart comments please as i have had my fill of them from other sies i have posted.

Dogrun n/wales

Ive had similar problems loads of times dogrun.Theirs a few things you can do.

SNARES!You can snare amongst badgers as long as you keep your snares high (11" to bottom of the loop) and dont snare on fences.(By law you are allowed a 4% accidentel catch ratio so on the off chance you catch a badger just release it!)

RIFLE!Try squeeking at first light(deadly for lamp shy foxes)and late evenings.I would be very suprised if you dont bag a few foxes at that time!

FOX DRIVES!Is there no where that you can organise some fox drives.Take your wind direction into consideration when fox driving(and dont use more than two dogs :D )

ELECTRIC FENCE!Self explanitery,put it round the hen run!

THE ONLY GUARENTEED WAY!Get me in to sort the problem :hunter:

snared it last night and caught badger released him this morn,i thought at least the cubs would come to the squeaker but alas not,will try the drive with a few mates it wont be to bad when the rain comes as i can use the terriers again.plenty of runs through the long grass but have not got a clue as to position, height (15inch u say ) any pics for a set up in the long grass ?

looks like charlie and the b&w's are using same pathways also forgot mention before there is an old drain off from a pond by the hen house that comes out in the wood diam of 8 inch wich has some fox prints both ends but will b&w use this too ? (thinking snaring that too)what diam of pipe would they fit down ? i know charlie usually about 6ish inch.

cheers for answering.

going tonight for a mooch about will spaniels see if we can bush em out.

dogrun

where u at p&g cos i might take u up on that offer !!

lot of lads round here with rifle but they a bit gung ho :hunter: and if they dont spot in the first hour they bugger off home .

i like to get them close to shotgun range but struggling here . :(

dogrun

I said 11" dogrun (not 15",too high)

A wire wont work inside the pipe but will work on runs going to the pipe.A fox will fly down a 6" pipe and smaller!

Ime based near middlesbrough (cleveland),where are you dogrun?

Snares are the answer but to be honest you really need to know what your doing to be able to miss the billies.Every run and part of run are so different that each and every wire may be set differently!

Forget about lamps,evening and morning squeeking is second to none :hunter:

im in flintshire and my mates property is just outside wrexham.

i would rather leave the snaring to someone who knows what they are doing,but as most pest control services (usually a guy who knows less than myself) around here cost a bloody fortune .

but from the posts u have posted i see u are respected and know what u are talking about .

pm me if intrested in coming for a gander.