Shooting Fox With A Shotgun

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right, all of this, standing on your high moral horse aside. The lad asked a fecking question - would the load be capable of killing a fox at that range. What he didnt ask, was if it was the best roun

Yes....   ....... can you cut your lawn with a pair of nail scissors, another Yes.   but there may be a better option!

no matter what my intended quarry is for the days shooting i ALWAYS put 2x BB in my pocket just incase i spot a fox

I've shot them too in a few different countries for various things,

The only way I would shoot a fox with a shotgun is through baiting at a set distance and the fox standing still, with two follow up rounds if needed,

A slug on a moving target is just as dangerous as a rifle, if not more with it's size and energy figures compared to some foxing rounds,

When I've used them, through a smooth bore, always been able to hit steel targets a up to around 100 yards. Quite enjoy shooting them just not many places here that you can.

effectiveness of a shotgun is a balance between pattern and pellet size. If your out just after fox then full choke and 42g of No.3 as a minimum. If rough shooting/driven and a fox turns up then 32g No.5 through the choke barrel up to 20 - 25yards max, though you may need a cripple stopper!

The pattern of the larger shot size will fail much earlier through a 12 bore than you expect and full choke will not make up for this. Infact it may well make your pattern worse. I have seen 52g of BB pattern all around a fox without so much as touching a hair on it, on more than one occasion. If its dedicated running fox shooting, why not try a 10 bore semi? It would allow the larger shot sizes and greater loads to be used, without the compromise of the pattern

The only way I would shoot a fox with a shotgun is through baiting at a set distance and the fox standing still, with two follow up rounds if needed,

A slug on a moving target is just as dangerous as a rifle, if not more with it's size and energy figures compared to some foxing rounds,

When I've used them, through a smooth bore, always been able to hit steel targets a up to around 100 yards. Quite enjoy shooting them just not many places here that you can.

what about at harvest time in front of the combine?

IF you had to shoot your dog !

Would you use bird shot or larger ?

I shoot fox's most weeks but still belive they deserve to be killed as quickly and effectively as possible, if you have no respect for the quarry you are shooting or don't have the morals to let a fox pass if you are unsure that one shot will achive an instant kill.

Perhaps you should not raise your gun ?

I have the most upmost respect for any quarry I hunt, even down to when im ferreting, and I feel the doe has young, i let her run or if its a nice buck rabbit. The same with a fox, if its a nice healthy fox, i would sooner let it run then kill it, unless the farmer has asked for it to be dispatched .

what about at harvest time in front of the combine?

So little of my permission is arable land that having to shoot them in front a combine is virtually non existent. The little land I do have I lamp them at night across the stubble :thumbs:

:blink:

Try harder!

Try harder!

Lost me there John...

no matter what my intended quarry is for the days shooting i ALWAYS put 2x BB in my pocket just incase i spot a fox

I tend to carry a couple of SG's similarly

section 1 so out of my reach :(

SG are Section 2. More than 5 pellets :thumbs:

You learn something new everyday, gun shop here we come :yes:

Try harder!

Lost me there John...

Shotgun is made for shooting stuff on the move, just swing through him and he'll go down.