Shooting Fox With A Shotgun

Such a lot of shit wrote on this forum and this thread is no different i see .THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM FOR FOX SHOULD BE BBs. Many many foxes are left to run every year with small shot in them and left to die out of sight presumed missed .We do hell of a lot of foxing both day and night .The trick with a fox that comes belting in is to wait until it turns broad side by changing the squeak to a loader pitch .Charlie is baffled and puts the breaks on.The vitals are then exposed for a kill unlike a head on where the front legs usually take the brunt of the shot as the chest is aimed for .Poor shooting is the only thing to blame if BBs are used at no more than 35 yds . As a note to this IF a fox is injured then make your approach to it as quiet as possible or it will push on into cover .They have one of the most driven wills to live of any wounded animal . Dont take silly shots at range and the use of a dog for follow ups is advised too .Moan over ,good foxing .

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right, all of this, standing on your high moral horse aside. The lad asked a fecking question - would the load be capable of killing a fox at that range. What he didnt ask, was if it was the best roun

Yes....   ....... can you cut your lawn with a pair of nail scissors, another Yes.   but there may be a better option!

no matter what my intended quarry is for the days shooting i ALWAYS put 2x BB in my pocket just incase i spot a fox

Such a lot of shit wrote on this forum and this thread is no different i see .THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM FOR FOX SHOULD BE BBs. Many many foxes are left to run every year with small shot in them and left to die out of sight presumed missed .We do hell of a lot of foxing both day and night .The trick with a fox that comes belting in is to wait until it turns broad side by changing the squeak to a loader pitch .Charlie is baffled and puts the breaks on.The vitals are then exposed for a kill unlike a head on where the front legs usually take the brunt of the shot as the chest is aimed for .Poor shooting is the only thing to blame if BBs are used at no more than 35 yds . As a note to this IF a fox is injured then make your approach to it as quiet as possible or it will push on into cover .They have one of the most driven wills to live of any wounded animal . Dont take silly shots at range and the use of a dog for follow ups is advised too .Moan over ,good foxing .

Yet again though, someone is dictating their views on everybody else. Are you really saying that a fox in a trap cannot be dispatched with a .410 loaded with 6 shot? Are you saying that a fox in a back garden cannot be dispatched from 20 yards with 32grams of 5's? Are you saying that an opportunity at a fox when sitting in a hide should be turned down because you are only loaded with 30 gram Grand Prix?

All that is required is common sense and not red mist. Before so many people had easy access to CF rifles and mods, loads of foxes were shot with shot guns and rimfires and still do get shot with them successfully, but the over riding factor is know your limits, know the limits of whatever gun you use and accept that in the heat of the moment and in field conditions your aim will not be as true as shooting in relaxed conditions on the range/improvised range.

I have store foxes successfully with .410, 28, 20 and 12 bore and they all do the job in the right circs.

I've shot them too in a few different countries for various things,

The only way I would shoot a fox with a shotgun is through baiting at a set distance and the fox standing still, with two follow up rounds if needed,

A slug on a moving target is just as dangerous as a rifle, if not more with it's size and energy figures compared to some foxing rounds,

When I've used them, through a smooth bore, always been able to hit steel targets a up to around 100 yards. Quite enjoy shooting them just not many places here that you can.

:blink:

Try harder!

Lost me there John...

Shotgun is made for shooting stuff on the move, just swing through him and he'll go down.

Ah that's what you meant...

I've shot I don't know how many foxes with a shotgun and large shot before I had rifles. There's very few times when I wouldn't use one of them for the job but if I needed to use the shotgun, I'd prefer to bait him to 30 yards and take a safe shot when he's standing still, t'is all :)

Yet again though, someone is dictating their views on everybody else. Are you really saying that a fox in a trap cannot be dispatched with a .410 loaded with 6 shot? Are you saying that a fox in a back garden cannot be dispatched from 20 yards with 32grams of 5's? Are you saying that an opportunity at a fox when sitting in a hide should be turned down because you are only loaded with 30 gram Grand Prix?

All that is required is common sense and not red mist. Before so many people had easy access to CF rifles and mods, loads of foxes were shot with shot guns and rimfires and still do get shot with them successfully, but the over riding factor is know your limits, know the limits of whatever gun you use and accept that in the heat of the moment and in field conditions your aim will not be as true as shooting in relaxed conditions on the range/improvised range.

I have store foxes successfully with .410, 28, 20 and 12 bore and they all do the job in the right circs.

Do you really think what i said applies to a fox in a trap ,get a grip mate .This site is first and foremost about sharing experience and advice to those who may not be so fortunate to have been there and done it to put it blunt .Ive seen many foxes shot with shot guns using all manner of sizes and ive seen a lot run on too .To advice anyone to use what i consider to be inferior ammo is careless and shows little respect for the quarry. If you can truthfully say youve had no runners that needed following up and worst still not found , then hats off to you mate but i suspect that isnt the case .Using the right load give a greater margin for misplaced shots in that a single bb can and will kill whereas can the same be said for a number 6.Case rested

Yes that isn't the case feller I haven't had any that need following up because as I intimated its a case of knowing yours and your firearms limitations. There are times you will not have bb's in the chamber when a fox requires killing and yet a game cartridge will still so the job.

Not many could change loads when a fox suddenly appears from out of a barn, or around a wall without that fox being out of range within seconds and presenting a tail shot.

Just because you call yourself fox dropper doesn't mean that you are the be all and end all, and it should be the shooter that makes the judgement call.

I think you are missing the point of what I am saying, but above all there is not a catch all situation unless you are going out to target a fox specifically and only a fox.

What i refer to mate is targeting fox exclusively which is what the OP asks ,re-read the title.Not many shoots allow ground game at all that im aware of .Im afraid that if you are using the smaller shot on fox regularly then your telling lies and by the way ,foxdropper has nothing to do with shooting foxes ,in fact the opposite but if you dont hunt you wont know .You may class yourself as a bit of an expert on fox shooting and look down on anyone daring to say otherwise but trust me mate ive been there and done it and your take on the subject is the very reverse of the way i see it and that of anyone else serious about fox control.

What i refer to mate is targeting fox exclusively which is what the OP asks ,re-read the title.Not many shoots allow ground game at all that im aware of .Im afraid that if you are using the smaller shot on fox regularly then your telling lies and by the way ,foxdropper has nothing to do with shooting foxes ,in fact the opposite but if you dont hunt you wont know .You may class yourself as a bit of an expert on fox shooting and look down on anyone daring to say otherwise but trust me mate ive been there and done it and your take on the subject is the very reverse of the way i see it and that of anyone else serious about fox control.

I don't consider myself an expert about anything, and I mean anything, what I am not happy with though is being told there is only one way to do something. There are some very knowledgable members on here who are able to keep an open mind and understand the implications of the advice they give. Deker for me among others, can do that, and I use his name only as an example.

As well as looking outside of the box, you also need to look in it as well.

Common sense and experience talking. Great post.

ps , remember , there are no vital organ's in the back end

Edited by Hawkeye.

I don't consider myself an expert about anything, and I mean anything, what I am not happy with though is being told there is only one way to do something. There are some very knowledgable members on here who are able to keep an open mind and understand the implications of the advice they give. Deker for me among others, can do that, and I use his name only as an example.

As well as looking outside of the box, you also need to look in it as well.

I stand by what i say word for word mate ,can you .You are obviously someone who wont be told ,cant be told and plod on regardless ,wounding left right and centre but with the righteous knowledge that it wasnt really your fault .Take some advice mate from someone who is out there doing it .

You quote Deker as an example and rightly so .He is a full time pest controller ,I know him and have shot with him .I am very sure his morals are on a par with mine and given the choice i know bbs would be in his gun for foxing with a 12 bore .He will use other calibres when appropriate obviously but for choice.................... .Hopefully he will contribute here at some time .

Its similar to ongoing .22 rimfire / HMR for fox debates. If you're deliberately targeting fox you may as well make a proper job of it and use a load designed for the quarry. Getting the fox to 20-25 yards is a variable you can't control so relying on a cartridge designed for duck & pheasants is a bit more of a lottery. As for the double dose i'm not sure I agree with the logic... the general idea it to polax the thing with just one barrel - what if you miss with the second?

If you're out rough shooting or whatever and charlie appears then its a judgement call and you live with it.

Will 5's take down a fox at practical range... probably.

Should you deliberately choosed that cartridge for the quarry.... not in my opinion.

Its similar to ongoing .22 rimfire / HMR for fox debates. If you're deliberately targeting fox you may as well make a proper job of it and use a load designed for the quarry. Getting the fox to 20-25 yards is a variable you can't control so relying on a cartridge designed for duck & pheasants is a bit more of a lottery. As for the double dose i'm not sure I agree with the logic... the general idea it to polax the thing with just one barrel - what if you miss with the second?

If you're out rough shooting or whatever and charlie appears then its a judgement call and you live with it.

Will 5's take down a fox at practical range... probably.

Should you deliberately choosed that cartridge for the quarry.... not in my opinion.

Which is exactly what I am saying, thank you.

Compete opposite to what your saying would be more accurate .Backtrack to where you advocate the use of sixes ,a 20 bore and even a .410 .Tut tut.

I wasn't advocating the use of them, I was saying I had shot foxes with them. The point I am making is that if you say that BB's are the only thing you should use, then you are wrong.

When I go out lamping I use .243, when on a fox drive, or using the terriers then I use 36gram BB's............but, theatre are loads of times when I have neither and I have used common sense as to range and shot charge and dropped them with a lot less. (And so have loads of others)

Yes, some people will injure, but then again some people will with a cf rifle as well.

My lad who was 10 at the time, dropped a fox with 19grams of 6 shot from 15 metres a couple of years ago. I couldn't stop him as we were 20 metres apart between 2 dry walls waiting for crows before sunrise. He saw it approach and dropped it on the spot at the right range.

I can tell him all day he should only use BB's, but the fox was dead with one shot.

What he does understand though is his limitations with his chosen gun at the time, and the load.

What we are trying to put across is two different case scenarios .You write about the chance shot at a fox at close range which weve all took ,whilst im banging on about the near consuming job of fox control,intended fox control with only that in mind .Im glad you would set out with bbs when intentionally foxing because that is what im on about .

Thought for a while you were getting at the fact that foxes were to be shot at on sight regardless of weapon and my post was directed at those who may be swayed by that .

like you said theres those out there that will wound with a cf but theres also a lot more that would wound and disregard any attempt at a follow up with a shotgun .