So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Please be serious . Tell me you didn't with a shotgun. Jok.

Yep , the old miroku !! ..finished cutting the grass , had dinner and was sitting outside having a coffee when the mole started heaving ..in grabbed a gun , miroku just happened to be closest , grabbed a shell , back out , boots off across the grass like a bloody ninja , stood there and as it heaved BOOM ...a lot of the time you don't actually need to hit them , the shock does for them , pulled him out quick photo and back to still hot coffee ..he's only just moved in a couple of days ago so am well pleased I've evicted him so quick .

• Like 3

Lost the rest of the sweet corn last night ??, there's about three cobs left ...I would hate to think how much damage they do to commercial growers , I recon one maybe two eat twenty five plus cobs ...was easily my best growing year for corn and my worst harvest ...electric fence next year ..post-81636-0-37795900-1503564923_thumb.jpg

post-81636-0-41128000-1503564959_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Seen badger damage in maize field you would think kids had flattened it.

They striped them cobs of every single bit of corn , there wasn't one piece left on any of them ..seemed they peeled the leaves back and striped them bare ...I found the cobs all over the garden ..as well as in the patch . I've tried to get a camera to find out how many are coming in , my pal who had his sweet corn wrecked last year ( twice as much as mine ) was surprised to find it was one animal ..anyway he won't get fcuk all tonight as I've picked the last 5 cobs ..

• Like 2

Well gentlemen and ladies, on a positive note I can honestly say that I have just eaten the first sweet corn I've ever grown. They are fantastic. The general result from the allotment is beyond anything I'd thought but this is a real bonus. Also, as an aside. My main crop of potatoes, Albert Bartlett are amazing. No blight, no worms, in fact, perfect. If they keep then that is as good as it gets. What an amazing year for produce. Jok

• Like 3

Not much to say just lots to pick,

36847027435_6c37025d62_b.jpg

Pretty hard to start any thing off seed wise with the dam sluds taking stuff out row at a time. The old caterpillars are going hard at it too

My raspberries baffle me. I can't decide if they are autumn or summer fruiting. They start in the summer then fade out then crack on again. I thought they had finished but today then got caught out with fruit every where but all too far gone

36450799620_bc8a442d72_b.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 4

I'm practicing storing, freezing, jam making and pickling this year as Iv got an allotment from September so I wanted to be prepared for any glut next year. I had been told to store parsnips in dry sand but have now learned I should have just cut the leaves off and left in the ground....now Iv got two trays of bloody parsnips!!!!!

I'm practicing storing, freezing, jam making and pickling this year as Iv got an allotment from September so I wanted to be prepared for any glut next year. I had been told to store parsnips in dry sand but have now learned I should have just cut the leaves off and left in the ground....now Iv got two trays of bloody parsnips!!!!!

lol they freeze well but you can leave in the ground over winter until spring as a rule. I dont bother cutting leaves off

Edited by terryd

I just peel and cut as I would to use then blanched for a couple of minutes. They freeze really well and just lob straight in the oven from frozen with a bit of honey on or how ever you want to use them.

Some helpful info here for you regarding freezing part 1 and 2 in the links

https://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/freezing-produce/freeze-information-blanching/

• Like 2