So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Being a tight-fisted whatsit rather than pay 60p for a packet of seeds l saved some from last year's crop of Japanese squash. 

Unsurprisingly they haven't cropped true to type  but there are plenty of them. Three barrow loads to be exact. I'll stick a few  out for the neighbours nearer Halloween.20231009_211311.jpg.e603364e4cac5de3fe005bf521991faf.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2023 at 14:04, Arry said:

Good crop of Onions this year. Big ones in the middle grown from seed Suttons "Exhibition" the rest are from sets 3 different ones.

IMG_1348.jpeg.70411f3e745fa02c33a41aa4659d4cf5.jpeg

Cheers Arry 

Do they keep for some time once hung Arry? I'm planning on doing a load and hopefully covering what we will use in a year till next batch ready....is this feasible?

12 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Do they keep for some time once hung Arry? I'm planning on doing a load and hopefully covering what we will use in a year till next batch ready....is this feasible?

Yes mate they keep better strung up and its very easy. Except for the very big ones they are not suppose to keep as well but they will keep till after Christmas, I will use them first. Chose a variety thats reported to keep well. I grew a couple of new varieties this year so I don't know how they will keep. If you want to grow the big ones ( Suttons "Exhibition" )they are grown from seed and sown about Christmas time in a seed tray in home. The smaller ones although still a good size are grown from sets put straight in the grown after the last frost. The sets I grew were "Centuron" "Sturon" and "Alpha" and just looking at them Centuron look the better one. 

Should last to next years are ready or almost.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers Arry 

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Arry said:

Yes mate they keep better strung up and its very easy. Except for the very big ones they are not suppose to keep as well but they will keep till after Christmas, I will use them first. Chose a variety thats reported to keep well. I grew a couple of new varieties this year so I don't know how they will keep. If you want to grow the big ones ( Suttons "Exhibition" )they are grown from seed and sown about Christmas time in a seen try in home. The smaller one although still a good size are grown from sets put straight in the grown after last frost. The sets I grew were "Centuron" "Sturon" and "Alpha" and just looking at them Centuron look the better one. 

Should last to next years are ready or almost.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers Arry 

Spot on, thanks mate 👍 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Spot on, thanks mate 👍 

Found this on string Onions mate.

WWW.GARDENINGDATA.CO.UK

Stringing onions

The big ones I did different they are two heavy for that method some are over two and a half pounds each. They are strung up on a bit of Para cord with separate strings to a knot on the Para.

In fact last year I stored them in one of then old orange carrot sacks.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

I have only the heritage carrots left to lift Purple , yellow and red they look funny but there good eating i have 10 corn cobs at the back door ready to use and i would grow it again next year but start them earlier 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well behind this year due to the wet weather, really hoping for the dry weekend promised this weekend so that i can get stuck in and turn the patch over and get ready for planting. Tomato, Cucumber and French Bean seeds are growing under cover indoors for now. One lot of container potatoes planted, the other container has potatoes from last year growing very well! How about the rest of you? Cheers. Aled

Edited by Aled
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Aled said:

Well behind this year due to the wet weather, really hoping for the dry weekend promised this weekend so that i can get stuck in and turn the patch over and get ready for planting. Tomato, Cucumber and French Bean seeds are growing under cover indoors for now. One lot of container potatoes planted, the other container has potatoes from last year growing very well! How about the rest of you? Cheers. Aled

Well Got a dozen runner beans (white lady) out more to follow. Tomato planted in the green house with two cucumbers. Most of the onions are out carrot seed in. First of the second early spuds (jazzy)are showing. Just need some warm weather now.

Cheers Arry