So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

Raked a load of leaves up on the local war memorial and covered a raised bed in em before sheeting it up.....hope they rot down by spring. 

Covered one in last years cow muck and sheeted. 

Did a bit more work on my raised carrot bed as well. 

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Received a 2year old pot grown Victoria plum tree today through a work offer of a friends. Don' know if it' right time for planting but its in and mulched. Guna get a stake in this weekend to brace it. First of a few fruit trees in my plans....be better if they were all free! Does anyone know how long it would take to produce fruit? Im guessing I won' see any next year but would I get some year after i.e. 2019?

3 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

Received a 2year old pot grown Victoria plum tree today through a work offer of a friends. Don' know if it' right time for planting but its in and mulched. Guna get a stake in this weekend to brace it. First of a few fruit trees in my plans....be better if they were all free! Does anyone know how long it would take to produce fruit? Im guessing I won' see any next year but would I get some year after i.e. 2019?

I think your guessing right. I did toy with the idea of getting some cordon ones but the price put me off lol

5 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Someone on our plot had fruit on plum trees at the age of approx 4 years. ive had a victoria plum tree for over 25 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh up Terry, dido and all the rest of the gang. Happy new Year.  Just had a load of old cow muck dropped off so here we go again. I went down this morning for a mooch and  things are ok. The Garlic is going strong as are the spring cabbage. You may remember I asked about setting  pickling onion bulbs in earlier posts. Well. I reckon they may be shallots as all have split into 2/3 stalks. No drama as was only an experiment anyway.  Took delivery of a shit load of Brewers hops which as you know by now, I think a lot of as soil conditioner.  Other than that, Tony, world record holder for heaviest onion, has given me 20 odd plants ready for potting in. Looked at my recently purchased seed collection and going to get in the greenhouse before too long. Checked all my seed potatoes which fortunately don't seem to be prematurely chitting even though the weather is a bit mild. Bit of a question now for you guys. Sweet potatoes. ? Yes or no? If yes how? Next one. Planted my broad beans in late November and they shot up. Do I start supporting them now.  I actually have hundreds of questions but as all of us do, just get on with it. I wish we had answers to blight, Tom rot, split root and all the other ailments but, hey ho, just get on with it. Good harvest for 2018 you guys. I'm sure we will have words in the near future. Jok.

• Like 2

Hi Jok happy new year to you and family too. I tried sweet spuds one year as a lady on the plots had success. She said get some spuds from aldi and pop in water so you get the slips like so

13330872894_a620eb0674_b.jpg

then you pot on the individual slips. Things looked good to start but then went tits :laugh:

14023070194_0724448b8d_b.jpg

and they finally died once planted out. I have not bother since. But it worked for this lady and she had a tidy crop. I must have stuffed up some where 

• Like 1