Boar Hunting in The Forest Of Dean

Anyone know of any boar hunting going on in the Forest of Dean? It's where I live and I'd be interested in going along some time.

No idea how people go about it. How effective would a shotgun be? I'm guessing it'd be a case for stalking in and using you'd need a pretty high powered rifle. Anybody who knows anything about it, let me know.

I've got a few mates that shoot round there and he says the place is full of guys with compound bows totally illegal but they turn a blind eye to it .

:icon_eek: , I did quite a lot of running here :icon_eek: . Never gave it a second thought then. Same in the local forest here where most of my running is these days, so many have seen the so called "Beast Of Brechfa", a big cat to us lot :yes: , I've never seen more than your average wild moggie. I dare say there is something though.

Al :drink:

unless its farmers land its mostly forestry commission?so surely its poaching. :whistling: .plus dont you have to have boar on your firearms cert.same as if you have to have it for big cat. :laugh:luckily not seen any rambos in my local woods.

:laugh: nor me :thumbs:

Al :gunsmilie:

forget the rifles and crossbows get acouple of good dogs much more fun we get over by coleford now and then and have had a lot of pig, on the lamp is best as they are out more but we have got them in the daylight as well

Guest reload
forget the rifles and crossbows get acouple of good dogs much more fun we get over by coleford now and then and have had a lot of pig, on the lamp is best as they are out more but we have got them in the daylight as well

So you have had a few hey. interesting stuff, bailed up and shot or eared and stuck?

I have spent a fairbit of time around boar and they are one awesome animal and best left for the stalkers IMO

Edited by reload

WELL ME HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT OZ STYLE GET IN AND STICKUM AND I TOTALLY AGREE THEY ARE AWSOME BEASTS NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED BUT BLOODY GOOD SPORT. A LOT OF THE FARMERS I KNOW ARE VERY WARY OF LETTING ANYBODY OUT WITH A RIFLE AFTER THE PIGS YOU WOULD NEED AT LEAST A .270 OR 308 AND THATS AFAIR ROUND TO OUT WITH YOU WOULD NEED TO BE VERY CAREFULL AND KNOW THE TERAIN WELL

Guest reload
well i surpose if you have a fac you would be carefull never mind what cal

Exactly, we have one of the biggest wild boar populations locally, and if you have a FAC and are shooting pigs you have to be careful, what ever the cal.

I dont get the lads dogging them at all, messy and too much attention in this small land of ours IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

WELL IVE GOT AND HAD AN FAC FOR AT LEAST 20 ODD YEARS BUT I STILL PREF THE DOGS AT LEAST I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT STRAY ROUNDS RICOCHETS ETC IF THE DOG SHOULD FAIL I CAN ALWAYS REVERT TO SHOOTING BUT THEY HAVENT LET US DOWN YET WERE THINKING OF GETTING ONE OR TWO THIS WEEKEND THEN WELL HAVE A BARBIE AND A FEW BEERS :drink:

WELL IVE GOT AND HAD AN FAC FOR AT LEAST 20 ODD YEARS BUT I STILL PREF THE DOGS AT LEAST I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT STRAY ROUNDS RICOCHETS ETC IF THE DOG SHOULD FAIL I CAN ALWAYS REVERT TO SHOOTING BUT THEY HAVENT LET US DOWN YET WERE THINKING OF GETTING ONE OR TWO THIS WEEKEND THEN WELL HAVE A BARBIE AND A FEW BEERS :drink:

Sounds like a good idea :thumbs:

As far as idea's go there's few better. :drink::thumbs:

WELL WE HAD FUN 2 PIGS AND LOTS OF BEER BUT WE NEVER GOT AROUND TO THE BARBIE TO MUCH FALLING DOWN JUICE WAS THE PROBLEM I THINK, IF I CAN GET THE KIDS TO WORK THIS NEW CAMERA ILL GET THEM TO PUT A COUPLE OF PICS UP, IAM THE GOOD LOOKING ONE NOT THE FAT BLACK HAIRY ONE [ JUST IN CASE ]