18 replies to this topic

#1 honeypig

honeypig

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:30 am

Anyone know of any boar hunting going on in the Forest of Dean? It's where I live and I'd be interested in going along some time.

No idea how people go about it. How effective would a shotgun be? I'm guessing it'd be a case for stalking in and using you'd need a pretty high powered rifle. Anybody who knows anything about it, let me know.

#2 kurgan

kurgan

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:14 am

I've got a few mates that shoot round there and he says the place is full of guys with compound bows totally illegal but they turn a blind eye to it .

#3 mad al

mad al

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:45 am

I've got a few mates that shoot round there and he says the place is full of guys with compound bows totally illegal but they turn a blind eye to it .

:icon_eek: , I did quite a lot of running here :icon_eek: . Never gave it a second thought then. Same in the local forest here where most of my running is these days, so many have seen the so called "Beast Of Brechfa", a big cat to us lot :yes: , I've never seen more than your average wild moggie. I dare say there is something though.

Al :drink:

#4 forest of dean redneck

forest of dean redneck

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:53 pm

unless its farmers land its mostly forestry commission?so surely its poaching. :whistling: .plus dont you have to have boar on your firearms cert.same as if you have to have it for big cat. :laugh:luckily not seen any rambos in my local woods.

#5 mad al

mad al

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:12 pm

unless its farmers land its mostly forestry commission?so surely its poaching. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub... .plus dont you have to have boar on your firearms cert.same as if you have to have it for big cat. :laugh:luckily not seen any rambos in my local woods.

:laugh: nor me :thumbs:

Al :gunsmilie:

#6 TOPPER

TOPPER

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:12 pm

forget the rifles and crossbows get acouple of good dogs much more fun we get over by coleford now and then and have had a lot of pig, on the lamp is best as they are out more but we have got them in the daylight as well

#7 Guest_reload_*

Guest_reload_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:36 am

forget the rifles and crossbows get acouple of good dogs much more fun we get over by coleford now and then and have had a lot of pig, on the lamp is best as they are out more but we have got them in the daylight as well

So you have had a few hey. interesting stuff, bailed up and shot or eared and stuck?
I have spent a fairbit of time around boar and they are one awesome animal and best left for the stalkers IMO

Edited by reload, 17 July 2007 - 09:36 am.

#8 TOPPER

TOPPER

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:24 pm

WELL ME HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT OZ STYLE GET IN AND STICKUM AND I TOTALLY AGREE THEY ARE AWSOME BEASTS NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED BUT BLOODY GOOD SPORT. A LOT OF THE FARMERS I KNOW ARE VERY WARY OF LETTING ANYBODY OUT WITH A RIFLE AFTER THE PIGS YOU WOULD NEED AT LEAST A .270 OR 308 AND THATS AFAIR ROUND TO OUT WITH YOU WOULD NEED TO BE VERY CAREFULL AND KNOW THE TERAIN WELL

#9 vincy

vincy

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:43 pm

well i surpose if you have a fac you would be carefull never mind what cal

#10 Guest_reload_*

Guest_reload_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:30 pm

well i surpose if you have a fac you would be carefull never mind what cal

Exactly, we have one of the biggest wild boar populations locally, and if you have a FAC and are shooting pigs you have to be careful, what ever the cal.
I dont get the lads dogging them at all, messy and too much attention in this small land of ours IMO.

#11 TOPPER

TOPPER

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:08 am

WELL IVE GOT AND HAD AN FAC FOR AT LEAST 20 ODD YEARS BUT I STILL PREF THE DOGS AT LEAST I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT STRAY ROUNDS RICOCHETS ETC IF THE DOG SHOULD FAIL I CAN ALWAYS REVERT TO SHOOTING BUT THEY HAVENT LET US DOWN YET WERE THINKING OF GETTING ONE OR TWO THIS WEEKEND THEN WELL HAVE A BARBIE AND A FEW BEERS :drink:

#12 MATTI

MATTI

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:07 pm

WELL IVE GOT AND HAD AN FAC FOR AT LEAST 20 ODD YEARS BUT I STILL PREF THE DOGS AT LEAST I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT STRAY ROUNDS RICOCHETS ETC IF THE DOG SHOULD FAIL I CAN ALWAYS REVERT TO SHOOTING BUT THEY HAVENT LET US DOWN YET WERE THINKING OF GETTING ONE OR TWO THIS WEEKEND THEN WELL HAVE A BARBIE AND A FEW BEERS http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

Sounds like a good idea http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

As far as idea's go there's few better. :drink: :thumbs:

#13 TOPPER

TOPPER

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:04 pm

WELL WE HAD FUN 2 PIGS AND LOTS OF BEER BUT WE NEVER GOT AROUND TO THE BARBIE TO MUCH FALLING DOWN JUICE WAS THE PROBLEM I THINK, IF I CAN GET THE KIDS TO WORK THIS NEW CAMERA ILL GET THEM TO PUT A COUPLE OF PICS UP, IAM THE GOOD LOOKING ONE NOT THE FAT BLACK HAIRY ONE [ JUST IN CASE ]

#14 Ricky-N.p.p

Ricky-N.p.p

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:38 pm

if ye cant get it mate email me the pics and i'll stick em up for ya :thumbs:

#15 Guest_SHOT_*

Guest_SHOT_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:59 pm