I've noticed that our local village butchers now have a 'dog section' offering such things as fresh mince, tripe, bone marrow, bones, heart and various other bits from 60p per lb.

I am considering buying some tripe off him for my pups, I currently feed them on chicken mince and soaked complete puppy biscuits and wondered what your views are on feeding other things like tripe.

I know it stinks but that isnt an issue, just want to make sure I do not screw up their diet but would like to add some variety and other goodness to their diets.

So what do you feed your pups and would you recommend anything in particular?

If so, why?

Thankyou folks. :thumbs:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tripe is % moisture with a very low protein level .... Absolutely no good for pups ... You are far better feeding chicken to young pus and as they get older feed fatty beef or a mix of the two .......

tripe is one of the best foods ive found it put some serious weight on pups and dogs but all ways best to add other things too so theyre getting all the minerals and the full spectrum of proeins they

we all have oppinions and tripe with soaked bikkies as a meal for variety will do no harm only good amino acids ang healthy gut is a good and must for puppies tripe will give this . there is those who

I've noticed that our local village butchers now have a 'dog section' offering such things as fresh mince, tripe, bone marrow, bones, heart and various other bits from 60p per lb.

I am considering buying some tripe off him for my pups, I currently feed them on chicken mince and soaked complete puppy biscuits and wondered what your views are on feeding other things like tripe.

I know it stinks but that isnt an issue, just want to make sure I do not screw up their diet but would like to add some variety and other goodness to their diets.

So what do you feed your pups and would you recommend anything in particular?

If so, why?

Thankyou folks. :thumbs: get it in em with the soaked bikkies . atb bunnys.

• Like 1

Tripe is 80% moisture with a very low protein level .... Absolutely no good for pups ... You are far better feeding chicken to young pus and as they get older feed fatty beef or a mix of the two .........

• Like 4

tripe is one of the best foods ive found it put some serious weight on pups and dogs but all ways best to add other things too so theyre getting all the minerals and the full spectrum of proeins they need .... :thumbs: :thumbs:

Raw or cooked ? :bye: raw atb bunnys.

Tripe is 80% moisture with a very low protein level .... Absolutely no good for pups ... You are far better feeding chicken to young pus and as they get older feed fatty beef or a mix of the two .........

So would you suggest doing as I am then with the biscuits and chicken mince?

tripe is one of the best foods ive found it put some serious weight on pups and dogs but all ways best to add other things too so theyre getting all the minerals and the full spectrum of proeins they need .... thumbs.gifthumbs.gif

Raw or cooked ? bye.gif

wouldnt cook tripe it reeks less ye got an outside boiler .....never ever cook bones for dogs they splinter.....i personally think cooking flesh an the likes for dogs takes away most of the goodness available to the dogs digestive tract so never really cook anything for mine so really its raw all the way for my dogs.... :thumbs:

tripe is one of the best foods ive found it put some serious weight on pups and dogs but all ways best to add other things too so theyre getting all the minerals and the full spectrum of proeins they need .... thumbs.gifthumbs.gif

Raw or cooked ? bye.gif

wouldnt cook tripe it reeks less ye got an outside boiler .....never ever cook bones for dogs they splinter.....i personally think cooking flesh an the likes for dogs takes away most of the goodness available to the dogs digestive tract so never really cook anything for mine so really its raw all the way for my dogs.... :thumbs:

Awesome cheers, think Ill go buy some and give it a whirl. Thanks Mr S&T :thumbs:

well must say my pups allways looked good on it but i fed a mix of chicken all so its pure cow stomach thats flesh so must be high in protein and its easily digested pups fatten quick as fook on it and chicken all the time can make pups ill not to mention its full of salmonella.... :thumbs:

dont think your far wrong there mate , i dont know why they all rave on about tripe ! back in the day when it was a lot cheaper id use it occaisionly , but nowadays it seem to be more expensive than mince chicken and minced fatty beef , and surely thats better grub for a pup or a dog.Was also told by a greyhound vet that being the stomach of the cow its actually harder to digest than chicken etc , and higher chance of picking up worms etc from it than actual "flesh" , atb with whatever you choose to feed Edited by brassneck

Take away the biscuits altogether and add more chicken with a range of vegetables mixed in and feed it all raw .......

Take away the biscuits altogether and add more chicken with a range of vegetables mixed in and feed it all raw .......

Would that make them turn inside out from pooping though? :huh:

we all have oppinions and tripe with soaked bikkies as a meal for variety will do no harm only good amino acids ang healthy gut is a good and must for puppies tripe will give this . there is those who declare its no good , but for those who have stood the test off time and used it to get there goals will disagree . much as the sames as the break downs on the google for tripe differs with each and every article . usei would use it and will foreva do so for those who decline theres wish . good gut flora for the pups gets them grubbing aways .. no one is saying stop using the norm just add to there diet if you wish toVARIETY IS THE KEY .atb bunnys.

• Like 2

well must say my pups allways looked good on it but i fed a mix of chicken all so its pure cow stomach thats flesh so must be high in protein and its easily digested pups fatten quick as fook on it and chicken all the time can make pups ill not to mention its full of salmonella.... :thumbs:

Go and tea search he properties of tripe if you don't believe me ... Also a dogs digestive system is perfectly capable of eating raw chicken .......