T R Robb Tuning Kit

If you want to get really involved all you need is a Welsh Willy seal kit (or seal and screw set if you wanna go bling with stainless), Drill the probe apertures out to 3mm, sand the trigger sear, fit a couple of shim washers to the trigger and apply a little Moly CV grease.

If like me you doubt your fingers of clay can drill the probe then the T R Robb kit is good value as it comes with the probe and a load of other new bits (such as a piercer, valve and hammer block) as well as the excellent video instructions!

I have also fitted a QD stud to the front of the stock today (this is advanced for Mole), all I have to do is get one for the back now!

Agreed, the kit is well made and at a decent price but when I installed it into my new XS79 the new bolt he provided would not allow the bolt handle to lock into the cocked position. I eventually had an idea to loosen the barrel retaining grub screw and then try it again because everything else worked as it should and it would shoot if the bolt was held in place but not down and locked. This time when it was cocked the bolt handle went into its locked position easily but it had also pushed the barrel forwards by 0.035" (35 thou). Logically then the new bolt front is too long!

The trigger kit I bought from him and fitted is a really good buy and does its job perfectly.

I sent 4 messages but as yet have not received any replies at all. Today I will telephone and complain because I am not impressed with the kit at all when the old bolt had to be used to make it safe. On the plus side though the instruction DVD is a good one even though it is a little out of focus.

I will post again once I have made contact.

UPDATE;

Terry has been in touch but says that I am the only one who has ever had any problem with the tuning kit! As it was a brand new rifle (SMK XS79) and he was informed of its model I am not happy about his comment because I told the truth and having been an engineer for over 40 years expected him to accept what I had said. Still, he has asked me to return the bolt at my expense for him to alter so I have done so. :hmm: At this time and the unpleasant experience I doubt if I will order anything else from him despite the good service I have had from him in the past.

Edited by jantar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its more about the journey than the destination.

Or how to get a lot more whizz bang for your buck!   I recently picked up a project I have wanted for a while a QB78. These are lightweight little rifles which have a half decent mechanism in them.

So lets get this right...you buy a gun, then disassemble it and fill it full of "good bits" to make it work right.   That is like buying a Harley Davidson...after buying the bike, you then spend a f

• 3 weeks later...

Straight answer, yes, and I now have 2 more of the same 0.177s which have all been tuned using the TR Robb kits.

I used the old thread so as not to clog up the page with another thread of the same type and point scores do not interest me because they prove nothing of a responders actual skill after the many times I have had failed projects due to inaccurate information from 'helpers'.

All the XS79's are used purely for back garden plinking while my main collection are for comps and ranges.

Straight answer, yes, and I now have 2 more of the same 0.177s which have all been tuned using the TR Robb kits.

I used the old thread so as not to clog up the page with another thread of the same type and point scores do not interest me because they prove nothing of a responders actual skill after the many times I have had failed projects due to inaccurate information from 'helpers'.

All the XS79's are used purely for back garden plinking while my main collection are for comps and ranges.

My post wasn't directed at you. But you sound like a tool!

I gave an honest and true opinion, just as any RESONSIBLE person would have done when you had not named the person you had directed your post to. This forum is NOT you personal messaging page.

My response to it was not directed at you so your response to it was unwarranted, insulting and displays a possible level of guilt and immaturity.

I sound like a tool? It is better to sound like a tool than be like you and act and write like one!

I gave an honest and true opinion, just as any RESONSIBLE person would have done when you had not named the person you had directed your post to. This forum is NOT you personal messaging page.

My response to it was not directed at you so your response to it was unwarranted, insulting and displays a possible level of guilt and immaturity.

I sound like a tool? It is better to sound like a tool than be like you and act and write like one!

Generally a post below someone is directed at them, hence my original post that was for moles attention since it was below his, if I'd been asking a question for your attention I'd have actually quoted your post directly or named you.

Therefore to clarify, I've actually quoted your post to enable you to understand for whom it's attention it is directed towards this time.

No guilt is felt here and my attention span thusly hasn't been dramatically diminished by undaunting thoughts of having committed a faux pas.

My level of immaturity is unchanged and I shall endeavour to keep it in check next time.....

However since my visits here are infrequent and subject to whimsical fancies I could be charged as a interloper.

You therefore might find my responses not quite at the expected levels of your mastery.

• Like 1

Eugene Porter.......?

Generally a post below someone is directed at them, hence my original post that was for moles attention since it was below his, if I'd been asking a question for your attention I'd have actually quoted your post directly or named you.

Therefore to clarify, I've actually quoted your post to enable you to understand for whom it's attention it is directed towards this time.

No guilt is felt here and my attention span thusly hasn't been dramatically diminished by undaunting thoughts of having committed a faux pas.

My level of immaturity is unchanged and I shall endeavour to keep it in check next time.....

However since my visits here are infrequent and subject to whimsical fancies I could be charged as a interloper.

You therefore might find my responses not quite at the expected levels of your mastery.

Thank you for being helpful and honest without taking the ass as many other on forums tend to do.

Now I get back to my particular problem and thank Terry Robb for his advice, assistance and mastery of his trade. His tune up kits do work and are competitively priced. He is also always available to respond to any problems either by calling in, email or telephone and as such did so with my problem. It turned out that it was SMK who had lapsed in their quality control and 'opened' their accectable dimension tolerances. Terry Robb manufactures to tight specifications from the original specifications set by SMK in their design stages and so it was not his fault that my problems occurred. Those problems were resolved by my sending Terry all of the bolt probes he had supplied plus the SMK barrel, bolt probe and associated parts for his eyes to see. He discovered the cause of the problem and has altered some parts of his tune up kit to allow for the changes and then also improve the exhaust valve with an auxilliary seal too. He even sent me some altered bolts to try! I do not know of any other 'tuner' who does that.

Both of my .177 79's now give chronograph readings over a 20 shot test to within low single figures differentials. The maximum ft/lb delivered being a steady 10.09 at 730fps. That for me is more than satisafactory for a pair of back garden plinkers and both now can knock down my heavy gauge resettable plinking targets.

I am tempted to go for a bit more but probably won't unless I get bored for something to do.

Now to get on with altering the power of my Walther Rotex RM8. They tend to be overpowered from the factory I am informed and as my chrono shows. It is presently given me 11.81ft/lb so is far too close to the limit to be acceptable. I am aiming to lower it to 11.30 ft/lb.

That problem is that they use a small ball bearing pressed into the hex hole of the grub screws wich alter the power and ahmmer strike. I am going to try to cut a screwdriver slot into the ball bearing tops and try a screwdriver to turn them out. If I can cut the slots with a dremmell type tool and diamond tip I will replace both those 'anit tamper' grub screws with standard ones. and post the results on the relevent forums.

Now for the pub lunch trip...........Happy Easter all.